Windows Phone/Mobile is dead

Soldato
Yes it is essentially, another article here:

https://www.windowscentral.com/micr...e-features-and-hardware-are-not-focus-anymore

It will get security patches and bugfixes for the next couple of years at least though which is more than you can say for many Android phones. So not quite dead yet, but buying a new one today wouldn't be a great idea !

So when my 640XL Dual SIM no longer does the job, I'll be after an Android replacement. Probably one of the better Chinese brands where I can get a 5.7" phone or preferably larger, Dual SIM for half the price or less of a Samsung etc.

Soldato
It will be dead when Microsoft stop producing security patches for it which is at least another couple of years away. But I feel sorry for people who paid out huge amounts of money for the likes of the Elite X3.

Soldato
Still using my 930 and will so so until the phone dies. Nearly three years old and working like it did on day one, well apart from the expected battery deterioration.

Permabanned
Why would anyone at Microsoft ever expect developers to take interest in working with them when no one was using their product? Devs want to make money. With Windows 10 they never had a chance. RIP.

Some Android handset makers took up Win10 to help them diversify. That was never a viable strategy. The real winner here is Android. Strength to strength.

Recently Bill Gates told the world he switched to Android. Case closed.

Soldato
Pity, I had 2 Windows phones and the OS it's a thing of beauty. The whole thing just works and it's intuitive and slick.

Just very little third party support :(

Yes that is so true. I love it. Prior to my 640XL I had a 625 and something else before that. I'll continue to use the 640XL as long as it still works, or until security patches stop, whichever is the sooner. Lack of apps has never been an issue for me.

Soldato
I've only ever had Windows devices since 2005, I love using my Nokia 930 :(

Microsoft were frustrating as fluff though with WM. "Here's an OS you can streamline your workflow with your desktop, it's the same OS but you can't run ANYTHING that you would do on your desktop on your phone apart from browse for cat pics and check email, or run a handful of apps that really have no point being cross platform but everything else we'll keep it all so locked down developers don't want to create apps"

Soldato
Because it's nice being right.

Well you weren't right then and you aren't now. It will be dead once Microsoft stop supporting it with security patches and bug fixes. So it will be alive for another couple of years yet. Saying it is dead is like saying Windows 7 is dead. Still using that at work here, and it is very much alive I assure you.

If you are saying it has no future -then yes of course it doesn't now.

Last edited:
Associate
Having used a U11 for the past 3 months as a replacment for my 950xl (due to battery deterioration and apps that were starting to be discontinued on it) I already hate android compared to windows. Everything fits together a hell of a lot better, it all works,looks the same. Shame they never got the 3rd party support and I have no idea why anyone would be happy with only having two major players in the market. Even more so when one is adding £200 on to the price of a phone every year, effectively leaving anyone with any sense a single mobile OS to choice from.

Mobster
Soldato
OP
Well you weren't right then and you aren't now. It will be dead once Microsoft stop supporting it with security patches and bug fixes. So it will be alive for another couple of years yet. Saying it is dead is like saying Windows 7 is dead. Still using that at work here, and it is very much alive I assure you.

If you are saying it has no future -then yes of course it doesn't now.

Lol you're in denial

Soldato
Another testiment to how little people care about Windows Mobile is the fact it has taken someone this long to post about it no longer being an active platform. Okay, if you're going to be literal about it, yes it isn't "dead" but it certainly doesn't have a future and it never did.

If I had the energy, I would love to go back to quote someone from this forum who said the universal platform across multiple devices was going to step change Windows Phone' share.

I don't even think it's the lack of developer support that killed it, I think it was just too little too late from Microsoft - it didn't even offer anything different. Apple literally changed the mobile market overnight, but Google still offered a point of difference by offering a more open platform with wider hardware choices.

Nothing against Microsoft by the way, it's the exact same reason why a company the size of Samsung can't compete with Tizen, or why no one wants Samsung's content store and Milk streaming services. There's no need for more platform or services that don't offer any benefits or differentiation from what's already on the market.

Man of Honour
Got a crate full of paperweights at work now :D

I insisted we roll out Android phones 2 years ago but my manager was then a Windows Phone fan, so we got Lumias for everyone. This year though I'm doing the deciding and we've gone Android and user feedback is so much better. Not a single complaint whereas with WinMo I was getting complaints about how pants it was and how limited the features and apps were.

The biggest issue was how long it takes to

1: Boot up
2: Download, AND apply system updates

Good riddance.

Soldato
At least Windows phone 10 is getting continually updated, and will continue to receive security updates and patches for the next two years+. That is more than you can say for half the Android phones out there.

However moving to Android absolutely the right decision !! Your old Windows phones may have been 8.1 which stopped getting updated quite a while ago.

Even if you'd wanted to continue with Windows phones, it is almost impossible to buy them anyway now !

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom