Windows Phone/Mobile is dead

Associate
love my 950xl, its fast enough and the simple interface is superb.

the fact that there is an app to connect to absolutley no device that
i own is a real downer.

yet i still love it...

i have known for a while that its time to move on, got myself a cheap android tablet
to get me into the swing of things, its not going well tbh.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Best UI is debatable.

It had the worst text editing of any mobile OS I have ever used, and took too long to do basic things just because things like gestures and panels don't exist on Windows Mobile.

Also, there is a Windows Mobile launcher for Android that mimics Windows Phone...

Soldato
They couldn't force people to make the apps. They did pay some people to make apps but then there is the issue of support, and it wasn't enough. With two huge players entrenched in the market they were always going to struggle. And again universal apps did help a little but again not enough.

Still, whilst it has no future in its current form it isn't dead yet - still has support, bugfixes and security patches until Autumn 2019 at least. Long enough for current devices to reach the end of their lifespan and then people can move on to Android or Apple.

Soldato
Best UI is debatable.

It had the worst text editing of any mobile OS I have ever used, and took too long to do basic things just because things like gestures and panels don't exist on Windows Mobile.

Also, there is a Windows Mobile launcher for Android that mimics Windows Phone...

Mimics is being extremely kind to what its like.
Im using Android now, but it doesn't come close no matter what launcher etc you use as feeling as all connected as WP, esp WP8 felt.

Soldato
They finally binned Windows phones at work a few weeks ago and I got shifted to Android. Such a breath of fresh air having a phone that's actually useful and integrates with more than just Outlook. Hateful things that were only useful for people who didn't want an actual smartphone as far as I'm concerned.

Soldato
1020, 920, 925, 930, 950, 950 XL , loved these phone and their pureview cameras. Quite liked windows mobile when it first debuted but it was crippled by Microsoft's lack of direction and waning support.

Soldato
Stood no chance against android imo.
They were far too late the market, which is quite a feat given they were one of the pioneers of the mass-market smartphone (relatively) back when Nokia were bossing things and PDAs were a thing.

I too felt that the modern Windows Mobile platform had masses of potential and was way ahead of both Android and iOS in areas, but being so late with the appstore meant even such a goliath had no chance to make any impact. All they've done, ironically, is fragmented the whole Windows platform while trying to unify it (and indeed Microsoft as a company).

It's quite a worrying time really. No company will be able to make any impact on the mobile market seemingly forever. I can't see how anything will change - both Android and iOS are so flexible there is no platform that they can't dominate for decades to come.

They were far too late the market, which is quite a feat given they were one of the pioneers of the mass-market smartphone (relatively) back when Nokia were bossing things and PDAs were a thing.

Yeah, I thought for a while back in the day that PDAs should have phone capability rolled in. Sony-Ericsson kinda answered my question by rolling out the P910 / P990 series of phones back in 2005. The idea was that it was a touchscreen, had internet access and was able to install apps even if there wasn't an app store back then. Then Apple as usual took on the existing PDA-phone idea and perfected it with their iPhone. Nowadays they're called smartphones, but it's still the same principle in that they have touchscreens, have internet access and can install apps. Android arrived at a good time as it was around the same time as the iPhone or 1 year later at most, where Windows was too little too late.

Soldato
I certainly don't mind using android, it is OK, so if I need to move then fine.

Huge problem for me will be finding a way to move all my Microsoft Maps favourites over to Google Maps. I'm not sure that there is an automated way to do that - meaning my Lumia will for the foreseeable future be retained for Satnav duties !! Anyway I've got plenty of time to figure that out, I expect to hold on to the 640XL for another year or so before getting the Android replacement.

Associate
I love my 950XL and as it's working fine I am in no rush to replace it. However, my wife's 950XL is playing up something rotten and she is totally fed up with it. We both like Windows Mobile, but it now seems inevitable that her replacement should be an Android phone.

So the research into it's replacement commences...(any recommendations will be gratefully received).

Soldato
My Microsoft Band 1 finally snapped after 2 years of constant use... unfortunately I have a 2nd one from an earlier RMA ready to use. My 930 charging port doesn't hold the cable but still works fine over QI.

Had a look to see what it would cost to move to Android and the handsets/smart watches are nearly double what I paid for my 930 and Band 1. I've never paid more than £230 for a phone so this is going to be a bit of a shock once I do have to upgrade.

Soldato
I've never paid more than £135 ! The cost of my dual-SIM 640XL, sourced from Hing Kong via a UK seller (that is now defunct)

Soldato
I've had 4 Windows Phones and use a 950 presently. It sucks how Microsoft have treated the mobile product segment, as in my opinion, the UI is so much better than the alternatives from Google and Apple. I tried an LG G4 for a week before getting my 950 and just did not get along with it. Nevertheless, it looks like I'll have to make the jump to an android device at some point in the future :(

Soldato
Never saw WM taking off IMO. The layout always reminded me of HTC in the early days of Android.

MS had a great chance from the PDAs days of Windows Mobile 6.5, they started fresh with Windows Phone 7 but I remember the early versions lacked features.

Soldato
Let's be honest, it was dead the moment Microsoft purchased Nokia and alienated every other handset producer while simultaneously ruining Nokia lol.

Such a shame really, there's no denying that a few years ago they had by far the best handset choices (Androids have only recently caught up hardware wise and Apple are still lacking) and the O/S itself was great despite the lack of app support. For users who only use the main core apps that you can get for every O/S it was an awesome system, but being stuck on a 3-4 year old phone with nothing better on the horizon just wore too thin.

I think the Lumia 930 was the point at which it became apparent MS didn't have what it took to cut it in the hardware market, I remember getting one as a free upgrade and holding it next to my 920 and thinking "this is ****" lol.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom