• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Windows stuttering with new card

Soldato
I've just installed an RX 570 to replace an old HD5770 and I'm now getting freezing/stuttering in Windows.

It's most noticeable when playing videos. Every 10 seconds or so the video briefly freezes (audio continues) and then catches up. At the same time the mouse pointer sticks and then jumps.

It also happens when the PC isn't really doing anything. Even while typing this post the text has frozen and then caught up a couple of times.

I cleaned off the old drivers using DDU and have tried both current drivers offered by AMD (19.1.1 and 18.12.2).

I'm running a 3570K in a Z77-D3H.

Windows 10 Pro 1809.

It's really annoying.

Any thoughts as to what could be causing this?

Soldato
OP
Corsair HX520w.

I was hoping it would still be up to the job. Even if it isn't I wouldn't have expected problems at the desktop with nothing taxing running.

Permabanned
Corsair HX520w.

I was hoping it would still be up to the job. Even if it isn't I wouldn't have expected problems at the desktop with nothing taxing running.

This is an old PSU with 3 x 18A 12V rails (with only 480W on them anyways). Might be that the graphics card simply invites you to feed her with something better.

Soldato
OP
Pagefile is system managed but limited to only use one of the drives (an SSD with plenty of space).

The stuttering is happening with over 10 GB of system memory free.

Soldato
OP
After some experimentation, and much Googling, I think I've fixed the stutter/freezing problem.

I disabled HDCP on all three screens and everything seems to be okay. Why this would be necessary, and what other problems this might cause, I don't know.

Back
Top Bottom