Windows Vista Home Premium or Windows XP Professional?

Soldato
I have both OEM versions of Vista 32 and Windows XP MCE and I have had 3 motherboards in the last 2years and I will tell you I have had no problem changing over my license, just tell them there was a hardware fault and you were given a replacement, works every time :)

Soldato
I have both OEM versions of Vista 32 and Windows XP MCE and I have had 3 motherboards in the last 2years and I will tell you I have had no problem changing over my license, just tell them there was a hardware fault and you were given a replacement, works every time :)

Yes - well done.
You do however know that your current installation of Windows is no more legal than somebody who downloaded their copy via a torrent site?
Given that - why did you bother wasting your money buying an OEM copy in the first place?
So basically you had no intention of being license legal - so you wasted £60 on an OEM copy of Windows that was only legal until your first motherboard change.
Nicely done.

Soldato
My mate replaced his Motherboard with a newer one and was still able to activate Vista oem? He had no problems at all!

What you can LEGALLY do and what you can PHYSICALLY do are two entirely different things.
Your mate is no more license legal than one of those thieving scumbags who downloaded their OS from the net.

Soldato
Actually, I just recently re-activated my OEM copy on a different computer, I just had to phone MS and go through the automated process.

But your best bet is to just not activate it and use it as a 30-day trial whilst it's on the temporary machine.

As above - legally and physically doing are two entirely different things.
If I lose my driving license it doesn't follow that suddenly I cannot physically drive a car - legally of course I cannot.
This is exactly the same, so you physically activated - you are not however license legal.

Soldato
thankyou for all your posts, i have decided to go for windows vista 32 bit version, how much ram can it take?

If you buy Retail 32bit now you can send off to MS for the 64bit media - your license is good for either version.
Use 32bit now and then in the future if you want to go to 64bit just remove the 32bit version, install from your 64bit media and use the same installation key.

Soldato
any 32bit OS be it XP or Vista will only see 3.25 - 3.5 gig of ram depending on ya VGA card ..

so if u install say 4 gig of ram thats all ya OS will see .

if u have a 64bit OS be it XP64 or Vista64 it will see what ever u`re M/B supports up to , i think up to 128 Gig of ram ?

Home Basic - 8GB
Home Premium - 16GB
Business, Enterprise, Ultimate - 128GB+

Soldato
Your mate is no more license legal than one of those thieving scumbags who downloaded their OS from the net.

Has the EULA ever been tested in court for this kind of situation? Legally, it's a grey area until it has as we know that this kind of clause is acceptable in law. Microsoft have had their EULAs challenged in the past and lost.

Permabanned
Hello, I was thinking of rebuilding my pc and was wondering what operating system should i get (Vista Home Premium x64 or Windows XP Professional) and should i get an OEM or retail version? what i want to do with the operating system is install it on this pc i have now then sell this pc (but keep the hard drive) and if my new pc doesnt work with the hard drive i will reformat it and do a clean install so would i still be able to use my activation key and other stuff for Vista/XP

Depends what hardware your going to be using really??? High end- Vista Low-ish end - XP Professional (for now)

Caporegime
Except he paid for a license.

It's the whole OEM/Retail license model that is poorly thought out and needs reworking to allow for upgrades or replacements. Given the difference in price, why should upgrading a motherboard void a license?

Caporegime
As above - legally and physically doing are two entirely different things.
If I lose my driving license it doesn't follow that suddenly I cannot physically drive a car - legally of course I cannot.
This is exactly the same, so you physically activated - you are not however license legal.

My Vista is activated and is genuine software and that's all I really care about, the fact that I was easily able to re-activate it on the new hardware tells me that they're not as unreasonable as people are led to believe regarding OEM licenses (as long as you buy 1 license per computer).

I own around 4 legal copies of XP and 2 Vista, if MS want to try and make an example of me then I'll be happy to just save some money and do away with all this activation hassle in the future.

Last edited:
Soldato
Daft question which no one seems to have asked but.........are you sure that all your current programs will run on Vista? I've got a couple of programs which aren't Vista compatible so I opted for another version of Windows XP pro on my new pc.

Permabanned
My Vista is activated and is genuine software and that's all I really care about, the fact that I was easily able to re-activate it on the new hardware tells me that they're not as unreasonable as people are led to believe regarding OEM licenses (as long as you buy 1 license per computer).

I own around 4 legal copies of XP and 2 Vista, if MS want to try and make an example of me then I'll be happy to just save some money and do away with all this activation hassle in the future.

I agree with that statement

Permabanned
he didn't

that's what xp pro offers over xp home though (and remote desktop -which Home P doesn't have)

basically i'm correcting the comparison..

The main reason to go for XP PRo over XP home is the fact that PRO supports multi CPU's(note not cores)

That's the main reason I bought PRO all those many years ago lol.

For my Dual PIII 800Mhz machine :).

Permabanned
QUOTED :

" Pro features that aren't in Home Edition
The following features are not present in Windows XP Home Edition.

Power user
Remote Desktop - All versions of Windows XP--including Home Edition--support Remote Assistance, which is an assisted support technology that allows a help desk or system administrator to remotely connect to a client desktop for troubleshooting purposes. But Only Pro supports the new Remote Desktop feature, which is a single-session version of Terminal Services with two obvious uses: Mobile professionals who need to remotely access their corporate desktop, and remote administration of clients on a network. You can access a Windows XP Remote Desktop from any OS that supports a Terminal Services client (such as Windows 98 and, interestingly XP Home). XP Home can act as the client in a Remote Desktop session; only Pro can be the server.
Multi-processor support - Windows XP Pro supports up to two microprocessors, while Home Edition supports only one.
Automated System Recovery (ASR) - In a somewhat controversial move, Microsoft has removed the Backup utility from the default Windows XP Home Edition, though it is available as an optional installation if you can find it on the CD-ROM (hint: it's in the /valueadd folder). The reason for this the integration of Microsoft's new Automated System Recovery (ASR) tool into Backup. In Pro, ASR will help recover a system from a catastrophic error, such as one that renders the system unbootable. ASR-enabled backups are triggerable from XP Setup, allowing you to return your system to its previous state, even if the hard drive dies and has to be replaced. Unlike consumer-oriented features such as System Restore, ASR is not automatic: It must manually be enabled from within the Backup utility in Windows XP Pro. In any event, while there is a Backup utility available for Home Edition, you cannot use ASR, even though mentions of this feature still exist in the UI. Confusing? Yes. But it's better than no Backup at all, which was the original plan.
Dynamic Disk Support - Windows XP Professional (like its Windows 2000 equivalent) supports dynamic disks, but Home Edition does not (instead, HE supports only the standard Simple Disk type). Dynamic disks are not usable with any OS other than Windows 2000 or Windows XP Pro, and they cannot be used on portable computers. Likewise, Home Edition does not include the Logical Disk Manager.
Fax - Home Edition has no integrated fax functionality out of the box, though it is an option you can install from the XP Home CD.
Internet Information Services/Personal Web Server - Home Edition does not include the IIS Web server 5.1 software found in Pro.

Security
Encrypting File System - Windows XP Professional supports the Encrypting File System (EFS), which allows you encrypt individual files or folders for local security (EFS is not enabled over a network). EFS-protected files and folders allows users to protect sensitive documents from other users.
File-level access control - Any user with Administrator privileges can limit access to certain network resources, such as servers, directories, and files, using access control lists. Only Windows XP Professional supports file-level access control, mostly because this feature is typically implemented through Group Policy Objects, which are also not available in Home Edition.
"C2" certification - Microsoft will attempt to have Windows XP Professional certified with the "C2" security designation, a largely irrelevant status, but one which will not be afforded to Home Edition.

Management
Domain membership - Home Edition cannot be used to logon to an Active Directory domain. For obvious reasons, the Domain Wizard is also missing in Home Edition.
Group Policy - Since Home Edition cannot be used to logon to an Active Directory domain, Group Policy--whereby applications, network resources, and operating systems are administered for domain users--is not supported either.
IntelliMirror - Microsoft lumps a wide range of semi-related change and configuration management technologies under the IntelliMirror umbrella, and none of these features are supported in the consumer oriented Home Edition. IntelliMirror capabilities include user data management; centrally-managed software installation, repair, updating, and removal; user settings management; and Remote Installation Services (RIS), which allows administrators to remotely install the OS on client systems.
Roaming profiles - This feature allows users to logon to any computer in an Active Directory network and automatically receive their customized settings. It is not available in Home Edition, which cannot logon to an Active Directory domain.

Corporate deployment
Multi-language support - Only Windows XP Professional will ship in a Multi-Language version or support multiple languages in a single install.
Sysprep support - Windows XP Pro will support the System Preparation (Sysprep) utility, while Home Edition will not.
RIS support - See the IntelliMirror heading in the previous section; Home Edition does not support RIS deployments.

64-bit Edition
Microsoft is shipping a 64-bit version of Windows XP for Intel Itanium systems that mirrors the Professional Edition feature-set.

Networking features
The following networking features are not included in Home Edition:
The user interface for IPSecurity (IPSec)
SNMP
Simple TCP/IP services
SAP Agent
Client Service for NetWare
Network Monitor
Multiple Roaming feature

User interface features
Windows XP Home Edition has some different default settings that affect the user interface. For example, Guest logon is on by default in Home, but off in Pro. The Address bar in Explorer windows is on in Pro by default, but off in Home. During the beta period, Microsoft had intended to use a business-oriented shell theme ("Professional") by default in Pro and the "Luna" consumer theme in Home Edition. But feedback from corporate users suggested that everyone liked the consumer-oriented Luna theme better, and development of the Professional theme was cancelled. Other user interface features that are present in Pro but not Home include:
Client-side caching
Administrative Tools option on the Start menu (a subset of the Admin tools are still present in Home, however).
It's also worth mentioning that Home Edition will support upgrades from Windows 98, 98 SE, and Millennium Edition (Me), but not from Windows 95, NT 4.0 Workstation, or Windows 2000 Professional. You can upgrade from Windows 98, 98 SE, Millennium Edition (Me), Windows NT 4.0 Workstation, or Windows 2000 Professional to Windows XP Professional. See my article on What to Expect from Windows XP for more information.
Deciding which edition to buy is simple: Peruse the above list and decide whether you can live without any of these features. If you can't, then you're going to want to get Professional. Otherwise, save $100 and get Home Edition. Note that Microsoft is offering a less-expensive Professional "Step-Up" upgrade for Home users that wish to move to XP Pro. "

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro.asp

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom