Windows won't let me increase partition size even though I have space?

Associate
My C drive has only 1GB of space left. I have an "unallocated" space of 160GB free on my hard drive.
Disk management in windows will not let me increase the size of the C drive.
I have tried to use some software called easeus, but it still won't allow me to do it.

Can anyone give me some advice onn what to try next please?

Soldato
You cannot increase the size of the partition when you are already on it . You need to be offline to increase it.

I'd recommend gparted. Download iso , burn it to CD then boot up CD

Soldato
Do you have any other partitions on the HDD, say a D drive, or is C Drive the only partition?

You cannot increase the size of the partition when you are already on it . You need to be offline to increase it.

I'd recommend gparted. Download iso , burn it to CD then boot up CD

Are you 100% on this, the year previous I increased the partition on my Windows 10 C drive, I only used the tools that were included with windows.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies. I have got somewhere (ish). I didn't have any cd's to burn gparted onto disk, however I noticed last night that my C: was at 66GB which considering I only use this PC for browsing I thought was a bit high.
I found there was as using file (in another user I din't know about) using almost 30GB of data. I removed it but it took some systemfiles with it that I don't think I should have deleted because I lost the WIndows start menu amongst other strange things, so I did a fresh Windows install last night - only took an hour & a half.
I'm now back up and running and only using 31GB on my C: now.

I'm going to see if I can put that gparted on USB later and extend the partition.

Thank you for the help again!

Soldato
You can't do it in Windows, whilst windows is running. You need a utility to do it outside of the normal GUI. (You can prepare it, but the software will need to perform the task during a reboot.)

I use Acronis disk director for tasks like this.

PS - how could your drive be at 66gb when your C: is only 60gb?

Associate
OP
You can't do it in Windows, whilst windows is running. You need a utility to do it outside of the normal GUI. (You can prepare it, but the software will need to perform the task during a reboot.)

Sorry drive is 250GB total, C: capacity 60GB with 27GB free. Unallocated 171GB

Caporegime

Wrong, done it tens of times with no issue on a live windows install, it's only extending the partition table, no actual changes with regards to data take place.

Associate
I suspect the disk wasn't wiped before reinstalling and he has a recovery partition still lurking
but why wasn't the full space used on the very original install

Back
Top Bottom