1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll: Winter Is Coming - HBO's A Game of Thrones [READ WARNING]

Discussion in 'Music, Box Office, TV & Books' started by Hostile_18, Aug 3, 2009.

?

Who will rule Westeros?

Poll closed May 18, 2019.
  1. Daenerys Targaryen

6.8%
  2. Jon Snow / Aegon Targaryen

30.8%
  3. Sansa Stark

13.8%
  4. Arya Stark

8.1%
  5. Bran Stark

2.1%
  6. Sam Tarley

3.0%
  7. Tyrion Lannister

9.8%
  8. Jamie Lannister

0.8%
  9. Cersei Lannister

2.1%
  10. Gendry

10.8%
  11. Brienne of Tarth

1.3%
  12. The Night King

4.9%
  13. Other (please specify)

5.7%
  1. Hostile_18

Mobster

It is known;
    THIS THREAD NOW CONTAINS DISCUSION OF EPISODES THAT HAVE AIRED IN THE UK ONLY. FOR FUTURE STORY DISCUSSION PLEASE SEE THIS THREAD;

[​IMG]

WTF:
    The books the TV show is based on are as follows:
    History of the project:
    The setting:

The Cast:

[​IMG]

EDIT: As you no doubt noticed both Jennifer Erhl (Catelyn Stark) and Tamzin Merchant (Daenerys Targaryen) have been replaced by Michelle Fairley and Emilia Clarke respectively. Their scenes in the pilot have been re-shot with the new actors.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  2. Antar Bolaeisk

Sgarrista

Will be looking forward to this as I love the books and HBO generally produce high quality tv.

3. Shamikebab

Caporegime

I've never read the books (get frustrated if I have to wait for books to be written halfway through the series) how can they base the series on books that haven't been written yet though?

4. Hostile_18

Mobster

Yeah I agree and there seems to be quite a bit of buzz around the project which hopefully increases its chances of getting picked up.

There should be more casting news later this week. I love all the cast so far apart from maybe Robert... not quite how I pictured him from the books to be honest.

5. Hostile_18

Mobster

Each book is meant to be a season long. Its hoped he will be finished by then. Book 4 and 5 (the one just around the corner) have been very difficult for him to write as the scope of the story at this point is just huge. With the last two books its meant to become more stream lined and so faster to write as multiple story strands start coming together.

6. Shamikebab

Caporegime

Awesome, might start reading it and watch the show at the same time then. HBO series are pretty good from my experience, be good to have some more quality fantasy on TV.

7. Hostile_18

Mobster

Updated main post; one of the most important roles Catelyn Stark has been cast!

[​IMG]

Jennifer Ehle as Cateyln Stark

Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
  8. Hostile_18

Mobster

Post update with the 5 new cast announcements!

Looks very promising :).

9. Malakite

Hitman

could go either way really, excellent source material but could get seriously lost in translation if they try to tone down the more brutal parts of the books.

10. Nix

Capodecina

ETA?

Looks interesting. Think I might try and read the series beforehand if I get a chance.

11. Hostile_18

Mobster

Sorry for the late reply. Its in pre-production right now with filming for the pilot due in a week or so I believe. If HBO pick it up (which looks likely with the talent involved) then it will most likely air next year.

Two more important cast members updated on the first post. Rory McCann as The Hound and Lena Headley (the star of The Sarah Connor Chronicles) as Cersei. Can't wait! :D

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  12. Meridian

Man of Honour

The good bit is the fact that it's HBO, which means they won't tone it down. But this bit worries me:

Finish the **** series already!! He's till got at least two books to write (I'm assuming that number five is about finished) and it takes him about three years to do each one at the moment. And he's not a young man.

M

13. Hostile_18

Mobster

I know what you mean I've just finished "A Feast For The Crows" last night and am desperate to read the next book. I also want to go back to the first book to pick up on all the references I missed the first time because so many characters were introduced at once!

Loving the story though and think this has the potential to be up there with shows like Lost and 24 for brilliance.

edit: Oh and we may have found The Mountain That Rides:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  14. Frapple

Mobster

Right, haven't even look at the thread as I've only just finished 'A Game of Thrones' and will be starting 'A Clash of Kings' as soon as I manage to put down 'Day of the Dragon' (Richard A. Knaak & the Warcraft Lore is general are just superb)...

...apologies, side tracked.

Will avoid the series entirely till I've finished the 4 other books that are sat on my shelf. Really want to avoid the possible spoilers in the thread (add to thread title - mod?) - Judging by the end of the first book 'A Song of Fire & Ice' is shaping up to be a epic story.

There's a game planned for the franchise as well.

Thanks to all those for the recommendation in a thread of mine a while ago, brilliant book.

15. Shamikebab

Caporegime

I really would love to read the books first but I can't stand waiting for an author to finish a series so I may just watch this then read them when it's done.

16. Hostile_18

Mobster

I think its better to read the books first mate because you know when the TV show is on people will be saying about the eventual fate of different characters etc. Its not too bad jumping in as the story is still unfolding.. take Lost or Babylon 5 for example.

17. Meridian

Man of Honour

A table-top version has existed for some time - I assume that this is just the board game transposed to computer.

M

18. Hostile_18

Mobster

Sorry about the lack of updates. Stargates Jason Momoa has been cast as Khal Drogo.

All the initial filming has been done and its now in post production. Still awaiting the full season order which will be decided March. All signs so far though have been very, very positive. There is ALOT of hype for this show before its even aired its first episode.. similar to Lost I guess!

19. fornowagain

Sgarrista

I think you'll be waiting a long long time. Seriously, just read the ones out there, totally worth it. Maybe stop before 'A Feast for Crows', as its kinda half a book. Very hopeful about the new series, I've been following the casting on GRRM's 'Not A Blog' for ages, looks spot on.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  20. Hostile_18

Mobster

Aye I'll second that. No different than watching TV shows year after year that have a continuing story line. Though I will admit the auther does seem to appear to be less enthusiastic about the series now... This next book has been in the works forever!