Poll: Winter Is Coming - HBO's A Game of Thrones [READ WARNING]

Who will rule Westeros?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
My wife has never watched a single episode and laughed at the idea of trying to pile through 7 entire seasons. Handily, I can across Film Cram on Youtube would do nice, amusing summaries of each series in 25 minutes. That she is happy to sit through. :) No more sitting on my own when I watch S8.

Soldato
My wife has never watched a single episode and laughed at the idea of trying to pile through 7 entire seasons. Handily, I can across Film Cram on Youtube would do nice, amusing summaries of each series in 25 minutes. That she is happy to sit through. :) No more sitting on my own when I watch S8.

TBf, only 67 episodes, you could do 2 episodes a day and just started S8 a little later.

Caporegime
why don't you just stick a bunch of episodes on a tablet, she can watch them whilst doing housework, cooking, cleaning, working out, having a bath, using public transport, dinner breaks or whatever. ( and no im not being sexist I do all of the above as a male)

after a few episodes most people get addicted anyway

Soldato
I have to say i am worried about Season 8. Season 7 as a whole felt like it was missing something, and it was critically slammed for that very point. Compared to other seasons it just didn't feel right.

Mainly because whilst the winds of winter is pretty much finished, a dream of spring is not... it is at best manuscript and very complex diagrammatic referencing papers tying things together.

So David Benioff and D. B. Weiss have very little actual material to go off compared to season 6 or 7, the things that makes ASOIAF and thrones so amazing is the way the story is told through its characters, not its action.

The only reason the battle of the ******* was soo good is that it was personal, over the shoulder with John fighting single battles as the war rages around him, the action in principle was secondary to the personal story.

The same can be said in part for hard-holme. However I believe with the shrinking source material towards the finale and the drive to bring more and more action, there will be a loss in story quality in favour of mindless action...

That worries me as a huge fan of the novels.

Associate
I dunno - some folk get too caught up in this book vs show stuff. Especially when they think it's drifting too far from the source material.
I don't really buy it. I think the quality is, on average, very, very high. Yeah sure, sometimes it's not so good but I really don't think it's down to source material drift.

Some of the best scenes, imo, from earlier seasons have had nothing to do with the source material - Tywin and Arya for instance. They never meet in the books yet their dialogue was sparkling.

Interesting the poster above picked Hardholme and BoB as great scenes as a reason to be worried about season 8. Neither have yet to occur in the books and will probably be totally different - doesn't stop them being excellent scenes on the show.

I love both mediums, and accept that a lot of the choices they make in the show are based around the limitations of the format rather than the creators taking liberties with the source. Ok, sometimes they do mess up but I can forgive it cos the whole package is pretty much the bees knees.

Soldato
I dunno - some folk get too caught up in this book vs show stuff. Especially when they think it's drifting too far from the source material.
I don't really buy it. I think the quality is, on average, very, very high. Yeah sure, sometimes it's not so good but I really don't think it's down to source material drift.

Some of the best scenes, imo, from earlier seasons have had nothing to do with the source material - Tywin and Arya for instance. They never meet in the books yet their dialogue was sparkling.

Interesting the poster above picked Hardholme and BoB as great scenes as a reason to be worried about season 8. Neither have yet to occur in the books and will probably be totally different - doesn't stop them being excellent scenes on the show.

I love both mediums, and accept that a lot of the choices they make in the show are based around the limitations of the format rather than the creators taking liberties with the source. Ok, sometimes they do mess up but I can forgive it cos the whole package is pretty much the bees knees.

You are right that some great scenes appeared that weren't in the books full stop, and this isn't the usual debate of "its gone too far from source material".

The issue is Hardholme and BoB will be in the winds of winter, a book that should have come out a number of years ago, and is starting to look like it may come this year (not holding my breath) given that fact the show-writers will more than likely have had the book for a number of years now, or at least extremely close material to its final product. Meaning Georges vision for hard home and maybe BoB would have been present. The issue was season 7 is hard to nail down, it lies more in the fact the plot has become more important than the characters, there is no subversion like there used to be from the features that are present in Georges books.. the world has started to feel too predictable, and that isn't right.

Soldato
I am worried that old George has got bored of a Game of Thrones now that the TV has stolen his thunder. I'm not convinced he'll ever finish it and if he pops his clogs won't allow anyone else to finish it either.

Soldato
What I find intensely annoying is that he found time to write the 736 pages of Fire & Blood (2018), the prequel about the Targaryens but he can't spare the time and energy to finish the main series. It's as though he thinks there's no need now that the TV show has it covered.

Permabanned
Yeah, I mean, he wrote the first book about 30 years ago, and now he's getting all this new money and fame, and not to mention knowing that the show will be the real story for most people. I can't blame him much. However, I think he'll at least get Winds of Winter out.

Back
Top Bottom