Poll: Winter Is Coming - HBO's A Game of Thrones [READ WARNING]

Who will rule Westeros?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
Season did end on a high? All the best characters ended up doing what they wanted.

By ending on a high i mean I wanted to have watched it and come away thinking it was an amazing episode, like I did after the red wedding and certain other episodes. Not 'meh, it was ok I guess', like I and a lot of others felt it seems reading around on the net.

Man of Honour
https://www.reddit.com/r/freefolk/comments/br7f7e/i_cant_believe_dany_sailing_to_westeros_was_the/

Love it.

The bit with Sansa demanding independence for the north just came off like she was throwing her toys out the pram that she wasn't being picked for the throne so she said that as a way of getting some kind of power, sure that's not how it was intended. Just with the dialogue as bad as it has been in the last two seasons, it's hard to interpret it in the way D&D intended.

Like Bran saying "Why do you think I came all this way", like...you tell me, mate? Are you saying "Why do you think I let all those bad things happen if I didn't want to be king?" or "Why do you think I left Winterfell and came all this way to the meeting?"

Just such bad dialogue when it could be quite clever if they were more clear

942weigjffz21.jpg

:D

Associate
The writing has been quite childish and amateurish for some time. This is because they did not have excellent source material anymore, only notes.
Disney have a couple of dullards writing the new Star Wars. Good luck with that.

Soldato
Wasn't she?
She had been doing some pretty terrible things throughout the series, just previously they were to terrible people so you ignore it.
She showed no remorse or understanding that she had gone too far basically burning a city filled with non combatants to the ground and refused to accept she might have done anything wrong "they supported Cersei" (so everyone including the kids obviously deserved to die, horribly).
There is the whole flip a coin to see if members of her family were mad or not.
She was expressing an expectation that she would "free" everyone else, and that her methods were correct and Just because her cause was Just (no matter how many innocents she killed to free them).

Jon killing her was basically the end of the struggle he's had all along with love or duty, in the end he chose his duty to protect the people over his love for her, having recognised that she was now no better than Cersei or Jophry and was entering mad king Aerys Targarian territory.

There was no need to react instanty to the Dany threat. He could have married her, ruled by her side and seen how things went, used his inflence on her to turn her right. If it wasnt working kill her later. Killing her at that moment makes no sense to me.

by half way through that episode i was hoping Dany would kill Jon tbh he was that woeful.

smr

smr

Soldato
By ending on a high i mean I wanted to have watched it and come away thinking it was an amazing episode, like I did after the red wedding and certain other episodes. Not 'meh, it was ok I guess', like I and a lot of others felt it seems reading around on the net.

It ended beautifully for me. After the dark start, with Tyrion walking through the ruins, and then the death of Danny, the episode started to unfurl in an almost poetic character.

It actually surprised me a bit, for the first time in a long time there was relief which was transient throughout every character in the episode. There was also a lightheartedness and humour about it I cannot remember seeing before in any ep prior.

The scene with the audition for the king, the "that will improve" and Bran's smile as he left, the way the characters looked at each other as good friends and that feeling of a better world on the horizon.

The brothel's needing renovation and master of coin willing to rebuild them haha. The way Brienne wrote in the book. All of it was deft and executed perfectly, the pacing, the writing, direction, the lighting as well, there was a real air of peacefulness about the episode at the end.

Soldato
There was no need to react instanty to the Dany threat. He could have married her, ruled by her side and seen how things went, used his inflence on her to turn her right. If it wasnt working kill her later. Killing her at that moment makes no sense to me.

by half way through that episode i was hoping Dany would kill Jon tbh he was that woeful.

Given the scene before was Tyrion saying how long do you think it would be before she saw Jon as a threat then yeah I guess that focuses your mind a bit

Commissario

He already knows she'll kill anyone she thinks is a threat without any delay or warning, and she's already shown she isn't likely or willing to listen to reason.

Do you:
A: bet the lives of hundreds of thousands, including your family, and yourself that she'll change (and not change back).
B: Take action.

He was trying right up to that last moment to get an indication that she would show remorse or understanding that she went too far, and he was aware it might be the last time he, or anyone else got a chance to stop her before she did it again.

Caporegime
It ended beautifully for me. After the dark start, with Tyrion walking through the ruins, and then the death of Danny, the episode started to unfurl in an almost poetic character.

It actually surprised me a bit, for the first time in a long time there was relief which was transient throughout every character in the episode. There was also a lightheartedness and humour about it I cannot remember seeing before in any ep prior.

The scene with the audition for the king, the "that will improve" and Bran's smile as he left, the way the characters looked at each other as good friends and that feeling of a better world on the horizon.

The brothel's needing renovation and master of coin willing to rebuild them haha. The way Brienne wrote in the book. All of it was deft and executed perfectly, the pacing, the writing, direction, the lighting as well, there was a real air of peacefulness about the episode at the end.
LOL...

Did you watch the same show as everyone else or do you work for HBO? I am loving some of the hilarious posts in this thread. :D

smr

smr

Soldato
Heh, I just liked the show.

I remember reading the book the Beach and then watching the film in the Cinema years later. I loved that book, one of my favourites ever, so I was a bit disappointed by the film in some respects. I learned then not to try and compare a film to a book or vice versa otherwise you'll annoy yourself. So with anything now, whether it's a book or a film or a tv show I just focus on what it is, not what it should be/should have been/could have been. If I like it all the better.

Soldato
She certainly had more empathy in her voice than I was expecting. It’s dependant on what freeing meant I guess. Killing the masters and freeing the slaves as with the rest of the series or killing everyone who opposes her as in kings landing.

The way she said she just freed KL, that told us what she meant by it... in my opinion :)

Soldato
But when she says "We've 'freed' Kings Landing, next we'll 'free' Winterfell" I would say that's pretty clear she's just going to **** them up! In mu opinion.

Did she definitely say Winterfell? I didnt hear that (will watch it again). She already controlled the 7 kingdoms at that point - Jon had already pledged aliegance. I thought she said the other lands outside of westeros.

Commissario
The way she said she just freed KL, that told us what she meant by it... in my opinion :)
Yup

"it became necessary to destroy the town to save it"

She couldn't see that there is a difference between freeing somewhere, and burning it and it's inhabitants to the ground.

At that point any talk of "freeing" other towns/cities had to be taken in that context, as she had done it once (and a whole history of other lesser atrocities in the name of freedom), and wasn't willing to entertain the idea that her idea of "freeing" people was basically to slaughter anyone who was associated with her enemies, and ignore the normal rules and attempts to reign in the worst aspects of war (IE not killing those who have surrendered, not wilfully killing civilians).
She was already acting like Cersei, and heading towards Aerys levels of insanity and willingness to kill the general population if her will wasn't accepted.

smr

smr

Soldato
Yup

"it became necessary to destroy the town to save it"

She couldn't see that there is a difference between freeing somewhere, and burning it and it's inhabitants to the ground.

At that point any talk of "freeing" other towns/cities had to be taken in that context, as she had done it once (and a whole history of other lesser atrocities in the name of freedom), and wasn't willing to entertain the idea that her idea of "freeing" people was basically to slaughter anyone who was associated with her enemies, and ignore the normal rules and attempts to reign in the worst aspects of war (IE not killing those who have surrendered, not wilfully killing civilians).
She was already acting like Cersei, and heading towards Aerys levels of insanity and willingness to kill the general population if her will wasn't accepted.

[QUOTE="Werewolf]She couldn't see that there is a difference between freeing somewhere, and burning it and it's inhabitants to the ground."[/QUOTE]

She never could which is why I'm surprised some people say she all of a sudden went mad, she's always been mad, it just slowly manifested itself the total carnage type of mad that was bubbling underneath her tyrannic character.

Back
Top Bottom