Winter Olympics 2022

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Aside from the fact this should never be in China the UK has a good chance of medals in snowboarding and a 50/1 Chance of a giant slalom gold with Dave Riding.

Associate
I train on an athletics track every week and it can be suprisingly easy to lose count of laps, although I'd like to think I'd manage it if it was the Olympics :cry:

V F

V F

Soldato
Are not many people into this here? I'll need to start watching this. Loved the Bobsleigh, the Luge which is crazy. :cry: The ski-jumping and especially loved the twin jumping. As well as the snowboarding stuff.

Soldato
Not a huge fan of winter sports but I happened across some highlights on the BBC website this morning. Figure skating of all things and a 15yo Russian called Kamila Valieva. It wasv part of the team event so not her full repertoire but I challenge you not to be awed and potentially moved by the performance of this girl. It was stunning. Check it out.

Soldato
Watched the mogul and will watch the alpine skiing when that starts, being a skier myself. Suffers from the same sort of thing as most winter sports though in that it’s one person at a time, but I’m mainly watching and miring technique more than anything and feeling jelly due to the lack of facilities here (and that I haven’t skied for a couple of years due to the rona).

Soldato
Watched the mogul
didn't find the camera work on bbc feed very good, as ever you can't see profile/contrast of bumps very clearly (night time probably doesn't help) - the occasional shots from behind are interesting to show lateral movement, more close-ups and slo-mo would be good;
I thought we might get some drone work or 4k/hdr too.

good that we haven't got, over exposed, clare balding again though

Soldato
Biggest issue seems to be finding any live feed other than the BBC's middle of the night, highlights is a minute or two of footage and 29 minutes of people waffling in the studio, hardly worth watching.

Man of Honour
Dunno what it is but I just can't get excited about the Olympics. Some of my colleagues all abuzz about it but it just leaves me cold.

Soldato
Not a huge fan of winter sports but I happened across some highlights on the BBC website this morning. Figure skating of all things and a 15yo Russian called Kamila Valieva. It wasv part of the team event so not her full repertoire but I challenge you not to be awed and potentially moved by the performance of this girl. It was stunning. Check it out.

she is unbelievable - 15 years old and already they are saying she's the greatest female ever as she's doing routines that no one else can even come close too....

Mesmerising to watch

Soldato
Didn't get to see Kamila Valieva, but I'll check it out. I've been watching some of the curling and loads of the various skiing and mogul events. There's women's freestyle skiing big air at 2am and 17 year old Kirsty Muir from Scotland will be in it and she's really good. Men's singles figure skating is also on, really looking forward to that. When I watch the super fast downhill skiing it's like one of those scenes from a Bond movie. :D

Just saw the Kamila Valieva performance. Amazing. First to ever do a quadruple jump in an Olympic competition which has raised the bar and sets a new standard. Even with one fall, she still won gold with 30 points more than Japan.

Last edited:

SPG

SPG

Soldato
OP
The time zone doesn't help and the BBC coverage is woefull at best.

Waiting for the ski jumping and giant slalom myself and the border/ski cross. Just watching the moguls hurts my knees

V F

V F

Soldato
The time zone doesn't help and the BBC coverage is woefull at best.

Waiting for the ski jumping and giant slalom myself and the border/ski cross. Just watching the moguls hurts my knees

It is. I had to go into the red button to get the Luge event which is stuck in Standard Definition.

Back
Top Bottom