Wiper stuck to windscreen :(

Man of Honour
surely any rapid change in temp can propagate a crack - given outdoors is about -5 atm and warm water will be about 40 - it's just something I wouldn't want to risk.

Ignoring that, using water is just a **** move to anyone else that needs to use the pavement/road that the car's parked on. Pouring water on the screen results in water on the ground, which will then freeze and provide a nice patch of ice for someone to slip on. Even worse if the car is parked on the road, leaving ice patches for people to drive over when you've moved your car. Sure, you can drive away happy, but it's a pain for others.

Just turn on the car (not the wipers), heater on defrost, rear window heater and scrape all the windows. 2 min job... 90% of time you don't even need to use de-icer.
40 degrees is pretty hot! 5 should be plenty.

Soldato
Don't make the rookie mistake I sometimes make and clear the screen of ice with a scraper but then use the screenwash to try and clean it which immediately freezes on the screen (despite having fluid that doesn't freeze until -10c or something)

Also for some reason I am the only person who actually puts their back into it with a scraper on my street, everyone else uses some spray things or will sit with the engine on for 15 minutes.

Associate
40 degrees?! My hot water thermostat is set to 45 degrees and the water that comes out of that is almost scalding to the touch. By warm water, I'm talking room temperature or just above. I leave a bottle of cold water by the radiator near the front door overnight, I'm not using any hot water from the tap or anything. It's barely more than cold to the touch.

How much water do you think I'm using? I'm talking about pouring less than a litre of water gently over the windscreen, not chucking a bucket over the car and surrounding area. I do this every frosty morning and most of it ends up trapped in the scuttle and drain holes, very little even seems to end up on the floor..and the water that does, ends up in the gutter. If I parked the car in the middle of the road then I'd think twice, but if someone is driving that close to the kerb, I think a tiny patch of ice would be the least of their concerns.
40 degrees is pretty hot! 5 should be plenty.
isn't body temp about 37C? so 40 isn't anything mental, just warm-hot water and surely nothing out of the question from a hot tap (which is usually about 55C) or a partially heated kettle?

During a winter commute I regularly see people pouring a full steaming kettle over their screens, it's going to be more than 40 and quite a decent volume of liquid.

Soldato
Also for some reason I am the only person who actually puts their back into it with a scraper on my street, everyone else uses some spray things or will sit with the engine on for 15 minutes.
I use a scraper - It's easy with the right angle, like planing a block of wood.

isn't body temp about 37C? so 40 isn't anything mental, just warm-hot water
I understood it was the rapid temperature change that cracked the glass?
Probably not so much of a concern with modern windscreens, but still...

mjt

mjt

Soldato
next time just tip a kettle full of boiling water on your car. :D
TBF, I did this to my Leon when I lived in Norway. I couldn't get the locks to unfreeze any other way :p

Literally boiled some water and poured the contents over the drivers lock straight out of the kettle. Had to do it twice sometimes :o

Soldato
My wife had it cracked - started the engine then got out and scraped ice off with a squeegee - No she didn't use the rubber but the metal corner of blade holder - In the sun you could hardly see out because of all the scratches on glass. - I never knew she was doing it till months after when I drove her car. :rolleyes: If anyone had a Toyota Paseo in black with scratched glass that was hers.

Soldato
Don't make the rookie mistake I sometimes make and clear the screen of ice with a scraper but then use the screenwash to try and clean it which immediately freezes on the screen (despite having fluid that doesn't freeze until -10c or something)

Am I the only person who doesn't feel the need to use a scraper? I just use my bare hands, no need to use anything that makes life easier.

Soldato
The sprays are great dude, try one
the sprays are neat'ish alcohol - so ruin/harden expensive blades ?

always use a bowl of tepid water, throw it over last thing, before starting engine, using wipers, driving off, leaving bowl in passenger well.

Back
Top Bottom