Wired nightlights for bathroom?

Soldato
Anyone got something like this and can give a bit more info/review on what you have? Do you have them in the floor or cabinet? :confused:

We currently use cheapo Amazon rechargeable things. They detect movement and only come on when it’s dark enough, and stay on for 30secs or so. Would like something similar, without the charging every other day!

Just one of those ideas seen as we’re currently wiring up our loft bathroom and will also be doing the main bathroom afterwards!

Soldato
OP
Philips hue bulb and a motion sensor.
We'll likely have spotlights as the 'main' lights in the loft bathroom so nowhere to plug in. I do already have Mi smart bulbs so that's not a bad shout. I guess I could run a routine that keeps them low after midnight or something, and a motion sensor.

I was more wondering if there was some nice simple built in options that people have used.

Soldato
These aren't wired but the battery definitely lasts more than "every other day". I think I replace the 3 AAAs every 2 years, max... I have them tucked in the stairs/landing. They come with 3M if you want to stick somewhere.

Associate
I don't have any photos, but at my previous place we put in an LED light strip with a 45degree aluminium profile on the edge between a wall and the ceiling.

That was connected to a driver and a mains PIR on a timer, that worked great for us.

LED light strip --> LED driver --> Mains 360 PIR --> Isolator switch.

The PIR was: https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-indoor-outdoor-white-pir-standalone-sensor-360/9695v
You can probably find something smaller.

Pho

Pho

Soldato
We'll likely have spotlights as the 'main' lights in the loft bathroom so nowhere to plug in. I do already have Mi smart bulbs so that's not a bad shout. I guess I could run a routine that keeps them low after midnight or something, and a motion sensor.

I was more wondering if there was some nice simple built in options that people have used.

If you get GU10 type spotlights (with removable bulbs) you can put some Hue GU10 bulbs in there and then get access to all the dimming / candlelight colour stuff.

The motion sensors work great in the bathroom as well, and they're wireless so you can move them around easily. I set mine up about three years ago and I don't think I've replaced the batteries yet - no idea how they last so long.

Soldato
Do you need a full hue hub (rather than show etc) before you can program a routine that allows reduced brightness at night time ? (increasing the entry price)

Pho

Pho

Soldato
Do you need a full hue hub (rather than show etc) before you can program a routine that allows reduced brightness at night time ? (increasing the entry price)

I think if you get the bulbs that have bluetooth onboard you don't, but do your own research - mine are all older gen zigbee only ones.

I think you can use the non-bluetooth (and bluetooth) bulbs straight up with Alexa say without a bridge as well but at reduced functionality.

They used to often have starter kit deals on where the bridge was near enough free so you could always try that option. Or look out for them on eBay as people shed the spare ones, just make sure it's a v2 or above model.

Soldato
Not worth it, get the Hub. It is inexpensive. Wi-Fi/Bluetooth bulbs are terrible for latency with associated gear (switches etc).

Soldato
I think if you get the bulbs that have bluetooth onboard you don't, but do your own research - mine are all older gen zigbee only ones.

I think you can use the non-bluetooth (and bluetooth) bulbs straight up with Alexa say without a bridge as well but at reduced functionality.

They used to often have starter kit deals on where the bridge was near enough free so you could always try that option. Or look out for them on eBay as people shed the spare ones, just make sure it's a v2 or above model.

yes ok -
I had looked before, having discussed the same bathroom light issue in smart thread
by the time I had a smarthing hub(allowing more flexibility on programming than hue one), motion detector , +3gu10 white lights for bathroom , and maybe a remote switch to put on top of existing light switch, you were up to £100 (even waiting for Amazon prime day for purchase) - which didn't represent value for money to me.

your programs were running on a pi weren't they with a usb zigbee stick - but maybe I'm confusing discussions

Pho

Pho

Soldato
yes ok -
I had looked before, having discussed the same bathroom light issue in smart thread
by the time I had a smarthing hub(allowing more flexibility on programming than hue one), motion detector , +3gu10 white lights for bathroom , and maybe a remote switch to put on top of existing light switch, you were up to £100 (even waiting for Amazon prime day for purchase) - which didn't represent value for money to me.

your programs were running on a pi weren't they with a usb zigbee stick - but maybe I'm confusing discussions

Yeah it can get expensive, but like most LED bulbs they should last for years. I guess you could argue on a new circuit you could do away with the need for light switches and all the cabling for them etc though.

Personally I have Tradfri GU10s which are £7 each (white tones only, no colour) which saved a fortune. I have an older model and they didn't dim down as low as the Hue ones but maybe they've fixed that now. It gets dim enough for my landing at night and in the kitchen.

You can add them to a Hue bridge, and it's generally recommended over the Ikea bridge. I think the only caveat is the bulb has to be pretty close to the bridge to pair initially for some reason - but you can pickup a cheap GU10 holder on a mains lead for a couple of quid and use that.

---

I'm using a Hue bridge but I also have Home Assistant (https://www.home-assistant.io/) running on a Pi to tie all my smart stuff together. You don't need to go down that route though.

Soldato
OP
That's all well and good, and I'm going to have a lot of fun expanding my smart bulbs/devices once the reno is complete. But I can't believe there's not a simple solution here. If I can buy a cheapo light from Amazon that detects brightness and movement, why the heck isn't there an off-the-shelf wired version? :confused:

Soldato
But I can't believe there's not a simple solution here.

There is, as others have said, smart GU10 bulbs with a motion sensor - battery life lasts for years. Anything else is just over-complicating the solution.

I have mine set to switch on a single bulb at 1% brightness when it detects motion between the hours of 23:00 and 06:00. You can override this by pressing the light switch if you want/need maximum light.

Associate
Anyone got something like this and can give a bit more info/review on what you have? Do you have them in the floor or cabinet? :confused:

We currently use cheapo Amazon rechargeable things. They detect movement and only come on when it’s dark enough, and stay on for 30secs or so. Would like something similar, without the charging every other day!

Just one of those ideas seen as we’re currently wiring up our loft bathroom and will also be doing the main bathroom afterwards!

What are you doing that requires you to change the batteries every two days? I have motion sensor night lights (eufy by Anker) dotted around the house and in bathrooms which run for years on 3 triple AAAs.

Soldato
OP
What are you doing that requires you to change the batteries every two days? I have motion sensor night lights (eufy by Anker) dotted around the house and in bathrooms which run for years on 3 triple AAAs.
Going to the loo in the night? :p I dunno. Girlfriend bought them so they're probably just uber cheap ones. I've seen Xiaomi ones and others that obviously last a lot longer.

Back
Top Bottom