Wireless headset with mic

Associate
Hey, I am up for a new headset and wondered if I could ask for some advice from users with a wireless headset. What I am looking for is...

High quality sound with good sound from all ranges.
Comfortable set that has big enough cups to cover the ears.
Noise cancelling mic.
Long battery life.
Lots of gadgets/buttons/features.

Price not that important.

Soldato
If you want sound quality/accurate sound then you should forget baming brand trinkets.

Though regardless of maker first thing in headphone choise is do you have quiet or noisy environment?
Closed design needed for isolating external noises is simply overall bad thing for sound quality especially in gaming immersion capabilities...
Besides increasing risk of ears sweating.

Associate
OP
Hey EsaT, thanks for your reply. Sound quality is very important as this headset will be mostly for gaming but also listening to music/vids. I have a fairly quiet environment.

Another thing that has me thinking is in the past I have had 7.1 headsets but the surround sounded bloody awful so nearly always had them turned onto 2.0. Wouldn't mind a nice 7.1 headset if they have improved surround quality.

Last edited:
Associate
Dude your going to get told that wireless headsets are tat and get headphones instead. Listen Im not saying headphones are not better but if You want wireless go for it. Anyway I do have a wireless headset .. The steel series siberia 800 and I've had it for about 18 months and it does exactly what I want.... Can not fault it Yes you do pay a premium for wireless but if its what you want do it. I originally bought the logitech g933. They were OK for me but kept disconnecting so I sent them back and had a fault on the second set. So I got the siberia. I got them for a good price at the time .... Just one thing to get the best out of them you need to run them through a sound card. Mine run off my xonar u7. Via optical and not once have I had any problems..... Don't get me wrong there are cheaper wireless Sets about.... Happy buying ...

Soldato
Hey EsaT, thanks for your reply. Sound quality is very important as this headset will be mostly for gaming but also listening to music/vids. I have a fairly quiet environment.

Another thing that has me thinking is in the past I have had 7.1 headsets but the surround sounded bloody awful so nearly always had them turned onto 2.0. Wouldn't mind a nice 7.1 headset if they have improved surround quality.
Quiet environment that won't be disturbed by you using open headphones? More sound leak from your headset due to the design so whilst the room may be quiet, if there's anyone else there, open headphones can disturb them.

Soldato
There are no "real" 5.1/7.1 headphones, those are pure marketing garbage.
High accuracy two channel headphones are all what's needed.
Human hears in 3D because head&outer ears cause direction dependant changes to signal received by both ears from sound source.
http://berkeleybside.com/sound-dimensions-of-binaural-recording/
Besides dummy head recording that can be simulated by mathematical algorithms.
(that's feature most sound cards have had for 10+ years)
And if headphones are accurate enough besides directionality there's even sense of distances.

Closed design is just huge challenge/drag for that needed accuracy.
So naturally most gaming stuff is closed, making them anything else than actually capable for good gaming immersion no matter the signal.
(millions of flies can't be wrong: poop is good...)

Actual audio makers don't do much of wireless stuff.
Sennheiser RS-serie is something I would trust to have good sound, inside limits of cup design and has good battery life. (up ot 18h)
And they use easy to replace AAA rechargeables instead of some at worst glued on its place proprietary battery.
With model updates Sennheiser has just moved price of open design model upwards in price with RS185 costing toward £300.
While without wireless absolute top level headphones for competive gaming/detail can be bought for not that much over £100

But having wireless microphone is something those don't have, or those are mostly aimed at communication purposes instead of headphone sound quality.
Meaning it's pretty much only gaming trinkets which have wireless microphone.
On the other hand you likely don't need be able to use mic from anywhere in the room, so some desk mic could work.

Associate
OP
Had the headset for nearly a month now and can report back that I am very happy with my purchase. The sound quality is great and everyone is saying how good the mic sounds now. Its great to put on and take out walking and use it with my mobile.

Associate
Pleased to hear that dude. It's surprising how some of us quite like our Chinese overpriced trinkets.....
I am by no means a audiophile but my sierra 800 Chinese trinket headset sounds just fine to me ...
....enjoy your purchase fella ...

Back
Top Bottom