Wireless mice, worth the hype or extra faff?

Associate
Just get a mouse bungee and it’ll feel like a wireless. No faff with charging/swapping batteries.

Wulf

I tried this before switching to wireless and you can still feel the cable when sweeping the mouse for gaming but i guess everyones tolerance to cable drag is different.

Soldato
I went from a G502 to G502 lightspeed. I was getting sick of the cable snagging and it was frayed to the point I could see inside the cable.

It's exactly the same as the wired but wireless, no latency. Battery life last for a very long time and to charge it I just plug it into a USB. It was definitely worth it for me.

Soldato
OP
This might sound weird, but it isn't cable drag I care about. I just have so many cables on my desk that I want less of them.

Mouse, keyboard, headset, hotas, quest 2, trackpad, etc.

So many things plugged in, and tbf some of them are wireless but they are plugged in all the time so I don't forget to charge them when I need them.

Associate
This might sound weird, but it isn't cable drag I care about. I just have so many cables on my desk that I want less of them.

Mouse, keyboard, headset, hotas, quest 2, trackpad, etc.

So many things plugged in, and tbf some of them are wireless but they are plugged in all the time so I don't forget to charge them when I need them.

No reason to not go wireless tbh, there is plenty of youtube videos out there by reputable guys who have tested latency again and again if that is your worry. When i am off work and i hammer my Naga all day everyday for a week still only needs charging once a week if that & i just do it when i go to bed.

Associate
I started with wireless mice when the G305 came out in 2018 and since then I would never go back to wired. It's kind of like how people think 60 fps is fine until you play on 144 and you just feel so weird if you go back. I really wanted the Endgame gear xm1r but since it was wired I'm specifically waiting for the wireless xmw2 to come out hopefully next month.

I've had the Superlight since it came out and it needs charging for like... 30 minutes every month or so. The battery life is so good right now that if it stayed at this level for the next 5 years I don't think anybody would complain. Thing is it's only going to get better.

I have not had a single problem with latency at all. Logitech at the start was the only company to truely have wireless on par with wired but in the last few years more companies like Glorious have also caught up to the same responsiveness that in today's market if a company says a mouse is wireless it's just 100% assumed it has the same latency as wired. Reviews never mention otherwise either.

Associate
I have a G303 Shroud edition. I got it at Christmas and have only charged it once (possibly twice but honestly can't recall that) with near daily use for at least a couple of hours a day.
Safe to say battery life isn't a concern.

Soldato
OP
I've had issues with EMI messing with wireless stuff so I'm a bit interested to know if anyone else has as well. I had to put my wireless dongle for my xbone pad on the front usb ports because it kept cutting out when plugged to the rear IO

Man of Honour
No reason to not go wireless tbh, there is plenty of youtube videos out there by reputable guys who have tested latency again and again if that is your worry. When i am off work and i hammer my Naga all day everyday for a week still only needs charging once a week if that & i just do it when i go to bed.

Everyone it seems has different levels of sensitivity - I'll admit it isn't something I've spent a lot of time on with recent models - but there were quite a few reputable reviews on latency, etc. the last time I was looking into it - but the models I tried over a whole gaming session I'd still notice moments of latency and brief input hitches, etc. despite reviewers claiming it wasn't an issue - while minimal, still not acceptable for me personally, while other people might not be so fussed about it.

Battery life these days is massively improved but still a consideration in some cases i.e. if you play Eve Online and were flying logi in a fleet fight the last thing you need is to have the battery die middle of the fight :s I know more than one person who lost capitals in the game to battery expiring in their wireless keyboard/mouse :s (I was actually paranoid enough to have a laptop ready on the login screen should my main system go down for some reason at a critical point LOL).

Man of Honour
With wireless mice, do you need a clear line of site to the dongle? My PC is under my desk.
nope. my pc is also under the desk.

I've had issues with EMI messing with wireless stuff so I'm a bit interested to know if anyone else has as well. I had to put my wireless dongle for my xbone pad on the front usb ports because it kept cutting out when plugged to the rear IO
no issues with my "gaming" mouse (logitech g pro wireless), but with my el-cheapo keyboard (MS all-in-one media) the wireless signal isn't always reliable

Soldato
I had (have) a logitech wireless mouse no issues with it other than the battery running out when you're in the middle of something and periodically losing it wired mice are tethered so not easy to lose

Soldato
OP
I think I'm convinced at this point. I just need to find the right mouse. I tried out a g502 yesterday and the thumb buttons just felt a bit wrong (too far away and too close), so I'm back to square one.

Soldato
OP
Is there a wired mouse you used in the past that you liked (in terms of shape, buttons etc)?
Right now I have a roccat Tyon which I quite like, although I find I don't really use the extra finger buttons so I'm leaning towards thumb buttons (currently have 3). The Tyon has a quite handy button on the base of the thumb and then your usual 2 thumb buttons. The g502 was just too much of a stretch to reach that third button.

Back
Top Bottom