Wiring - Cat5e Equivalent for BT Telephone Lines

Soldato
Hello there. Does anyone know what wire is used throughout the house to wire up BT landlines?

I know it's a fourpin wire, and I also know you can use the unused 4 wires in a Cat5e for the telephone, but this is not a feasible idea as I will be using Gigabit ethernet, hence Full Duplex and i'll need those extra four wires.

So in a nutshell, does anyone know what BT wire is used to wire up the house?

Don
cat3 is still 6 strand wire a la cat 5/e/6 etc..

the pin config is called rj11, whenever I've ordered the cable I've just asked for rj11 cabling (which if 4 core), maybe my distributor translates my requests well or I'm right :p

Soldato
brocksta said:
a quick google tells me cat 3 is used for two-line telephone systems, but i think the normal stuff is called rj-11.
RJ-11 is the termination, dont think it's also the cable type (and I'm not sure what type it is myself).

Associate
rj11 is the head standard AFAIK used in telephone industry
rj45 being the head type for network base since the 10base2 days (even earlier?)

Just go down you your local electronic nerd supplier and ask for lengths of phone cable.

Soldato
Otacon said:
RJ-11 is the termination, dont think it's also the cable type (and I'm not sure what type it is myself).
No pretty sure it's just the terminator/plug style. Just as an RJ45 connector is what you'll usually find on the end of a piece of cat5.

Don
cat3 is just low bandwidth capable ethernet cable - 10mbits/s

as you increase the CATegory you increase the transmittable bandwidth

cat4 - 16mbits/s (TR)
cat5 - 100mbits/s

etc..

you can of course use the strands for any form of connectivity you see fit, true telephony (rj11) dedicated cabling is four core, but conversly you can use cat5 cabling to convert rj45 to rj11 for patching phones into standard patch panels etc..

the telephone cabling really doesnt seem to have a name according to my sources, so rj11 cabling or telephony 4 core will suffice imo

Back
Top Bottom