• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

With AM5 + Zen 4 coming in H2 2022, is anyone still planning to build an Alder Lake system?

Soldato
Well, Intel's 7nm EUV is about double the transistor density according to Intel, vs Intel @ 10nm. New fabrication tech is where Intel made their name, I guess they want to relive the glory days. This, plus Meteor Lake is a whole new CPU architecture, so I think it's quite hopeful.

They've got the 6nm GPUs coming eventually too, so I think they will do OK this year, and have a much better 2023.

Intel will hopefully do better in the graphics card market. If Intel can offset the losses of its CPU devision and establish themselves, they will probably do OK in the high profit GPU market.

Associate
I seem to be one of the few that are going Alder Lake for a new build, I guess.

Zen 4 will no doubt be great but we're still in January, and waiting another 6+ months does not seem like an option for me since my current motherboard and/or memory is failing. It was either AM4 or LGA1700, and I did debate picking up a 5800X for now and possibly going for a 5800X3D later on, but that didn't make sense. It will likely not be cheap, have limited availability, and I'd still be on AM4. I tend to keep my builds for a while so I went for the most performance per dollar chip I could find.

In the end, I decided to go for a 12700K that I snagged for roughly £230 that will be paired with a 3080Ti. But now I'm paranoid that I made the wrong choice...:cry:

Soldato
OP thinks people are always making purchase decision on hardware that's 12 months away - according to g1662636372726272527262728636383 no one actually buys anything because something faster is always a few months away

Soldato
But now I'm paranoid that I made the wrong choice...:cry:
Not at all. Right here, right now, if you are building a system from scratch then it's Alder Lake for everything except heavily-threaded production work.

The only scenario where you'd have made the wrong choice is if you're one of those people who bought a 9900K over a Ryzen 3600 purely for gaming because you must have the very best gaming performance at any cost, despite your GPU being the limiting factor. In which case you should've held off for the 5800X3D :p

Your choice of the 3080 Ti is an entirely different conversation though :p

Associate
Not at all. Right here, right now, if you are building a system from scratch then it's Alder Lake for everything except heavily-threaded production work.

The only scenario where you'd have made the wrong choice is if you're one of those people who bought a 9900K over a Ryzen 3600 purely for gaming because you must have the very best gaming performance at any cost, despite your GPU being the limiting factor. In which case you should've held off for the 5800X3D :p

Your choice of the 3080 Ti is an entirely different conversation though :p

Yeah, I know. :cry: I had a 3060Ti, but I just couldn't refuse a locals offer and ended up selling. That allowed me the budget to grab a 3080Ti for the cost of a 3080... not that I could find one.

Still debating going with DDR5. It is expensive for sure, but I'm just not feeling the DDR4 Z690 choices except for a few MSI boards and an Aorus. None of the ASUS boards will work with my Noctua D15.

Soldato
Still debating going with DDR5
Your best steering clear of ddr5 right now as the performance gained just don't justify the price premium and even if it does it the future when higher speed DDR5 the money you save going for DDR4 would easily pay for a board upgrade later on.

Soldato
OP
If you really got that chip for £230 then that's mental good value and you'll be fine for a few more years anyways.

This - Did you get the chip from a prebuilt PC or something? I managed to find a 12700 (locked) for ~£320, which is still not a bad price, but not ideal.

I'd expect all /most chips in the 12th gen series to come down in price when the 8 core Zen3D chip comes out. If priced competitively, a single product could really steal Alder Lake's thunder at the higher end.

In Intel's shoes, I'd be thinking 'shouldn't we be using new technologies to add cache to existing products, too', such as Alder Lake. If this is all 'Raptor Lake' is, then logically it would be enough vs Zen3D. That would also mean, that the best possible time to release it, would be early Q3 2022.

Beefed up cache > much better than extra E-Cores for Intel in 2022. More, higher power cores can come later with 7nm EUV CPUs.

Getting more cache into laptop CPUs could be an issue though, did the rumours ever say if the 'RPL' line-up would include mobile CPUs too?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Yeah, I'm not really serious about trying a Hyper EVO 212 (mine is probably at least 8 years old) on Zen 4... It would mostly likely crash and burn, like Anakin Skywalker's hideously deformed body in that clip :cry:. What's great about this clip is that it basically saves you the trouble of watching the first three Star Wars episodes.

It's looking like a great lineup though, apparently even the prototype model reaches 5.0ghz on all cores, which I assume would be least 8 cores (with higher core models discussed closer to release). More info here:
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/202...-cpu-while-teasing-all-new-ryzen-7000-series/

So, I think for Zen 4 we will be looking at about a 10% boost in performance from clock speed, and around 20% performance boost from IPC improvements, vs Zen 3.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm still rocking a 3930k sandybridge E with 32GB RAM and dual R290 in X-fire. I'm now ready to upgrade :cry:
By the time Zen offered a big enough performance upgrade I'd already decided to wait for Zen 4 or whatever Intel has at the time, but I was expecting back then for Zen 4 to be here by now.
I'm just going to keep saving and wait and see what the benches are at release, I'm more interested in video and photo editing performance than games now.

Soldato
I'm not really serious about trying a Hyper EVO 212...on Zen 4... It would mostly likely crash and burn
Why? Zen 4 isn't expected to become an Intel-level volcano of thermal catastrophe, so why would an Evo 212 suddenly become inadequate? Granted there are considerations regarding chiplet layout causing hotspots and poor contact between convex/concave IHS and base plate, but it's not like 100W of Zen 4 heat is different than 100W of Zen 3 heat.

Soldato
Why? Zen 4 isn't expected to become an Intel-level volcano of thermal catastrophe, so why would an Evo 212 suddenly become inadequate? Granted there are considerations regarding chiplet layout causing hotspots and poor contact between convex/concave IHS and base plate, but it's not like 100W of Zen 4 heat is different than 100W of Zen 3 heat.

Carful, for some people magic>physics :p

Back
Top Bottom