Wolfenstein: The New Order

Soldato
The Game is 64Bit so if you want Windows use XP64 which will use about 2GB less system ram than Win 7.

I disable my Swap file and found Win 7 ran out of virtual memory pretty quickly at the resolutions and settings I played at, XP64 did not.

2 other points I've never known any Carmack engine not run smooth (unlike many others) but look at the size of the texture files you really need 8GB of system ram also to run XP64 you also need Nvidia as AMD dropped XP drivers long back.

Caporegime
2 other points I've never known any Carmack engine not run smooth (unlike many others) but look at the size of the texture files you really need 8GB of system ram also to run XP64 you also need Nvidia as AMD dropped XP drivers long back.

+1

A truly remarkable man. John Romero said that Carmack is the best programmer he has ever known.

Soldato
That's excellent information Jakus, thank you so much!! Definitely trying this today and I completely agree with Carmack being a seriously impressive individual who does not disappoint.

I'm telling you what, you get these red team vs green team fanboy discussions but this week alone I've seen NVidia driver support outclass AMD on so many instances:
1.) Downsampling - NVidia just set it in the control panel but AMD have to hack drivers and install third party app which don't always work
2.) Flawless Widescreen - (TEW mod) works fine on NVidia but AMD can't touch it
3.) XP64 - AMD drivers don't support it

We're getting to a point where our cards aren't being pushed too hard so we have the liberty to mod and make games look exceptional (i.e. Alien Isolation) so these tweaks amplify our gaming experience by so many magnitudes and the lack of AMD support is plain embarrassing.

Last edited:
Soldato
The Game is 64Bit so if you want Windows use XP64 which will use about 2GB less system ram than Win 7.

I'm using Win 7 and thought this would be as simple as clicking properties on the executable and running in XP compatibility mode but there's no XP64 option.

Tried googling to no avail. Fancy giving a little hint on how you got it running in XP64 mode?

EDIT: You don't mean you booted into XP 64-bit just to install and play this? Surely. I might just drop my graphics down a single notch instead of that. Haha.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm using Win 7 and thought this would be as simple as clicking properties on the executable and running in XP compatibility mode but there's no XP64 option.

Tried googling to no avail. Fancy giving a little hint on how you got it running in XP64 mode?

EDIT: You don't mean you booted into XP 64-bit just to install and play this? Surely. I might just drop my graphics down a single notch instead of that. Haha.

My Gamer PC multiboots to WinXP64, Win7 & Windows 8 ( think I used 8 about a handful of times)
I run 2 256MB ssd's in Raid 0 (gives 1 big drive) the OS's are on primary partitions set active at boot selection so the unselected one is essentially hidden. Games live on a 300GB partition and can be accessed from any OS (obviously, example Steam has to be available in all the OS's but it's installed in the Games partition)

Bottom Line I can run the same Games from XP64 or Win 7 providing they will run on DX9 or OpenGL. I also have lots of older games that run better on XP64 also. All you need is a little 5GB partition to install XP64.

Sadly the resource hog is Win 7 and no "right click run as" will change that ;)

Soldato
This game is a Lt. Aldo Raine simulator.

5lcrxv.gif

All I need is for Blaskowitz to say GRAYSEEAYSS and it'll be concrete.

Last edited:
Associate
Hi guys.
I want to pick this one up.
Did anyone run this using crossfire?(I own 2xhd7970).
I remember that there was a problem with this game(no profile).
ta

Associate
Hi guys.
I want to pick this one up.
Did anyone run this using crossfire?(I own 2xhd7970).
I remember that there was a problem with this game(no profile).
ta

I ran it with my 7990 with no problems, maxed out.

I know when I played it, Wolfenstin did not have Crossfire or SLI support. But that may have changed now.

Associate
Did you change anything in ccc(set profile manually) or just "plug and paly"
18,8 down from 40,7gig.Did you see solid 60fps all the time or there were drops?

Associate
I did not change anything at all, I had the latest beta drivers installed at the time. It ran smooth, I never checked to see what the fps was as I was happy with how smooth it was and never noticed any drops in frame rates.

Not sure what beta release the drivers were, as it was the end of July when I played the game and the 14.4 driver had been out awhile then.

Associate
I did not change anything at all, I had the latest beta drivers installed at the time. It ran smooth, I never checked to see what the fps was as I was happy with how smooth it was and never noticed any drops in frame rates.

Not sure what beta release the drivers were, as it was the end of July when I played the game and the 14.4 driver had been out awhile then.

Did you msi afterburner during gameplay to monior your gpu?
I played today and only one card was use.
So no crossfire profile for this game yet.

Soldato
I would have bought this game a long time ago if it had Multiplayer,Still even with the sales currently not paying £18 for a game that only has Singleplayer.

Associate
I would have bought this game a long time ago if it had Multiplayer,Still even with the sales currently not paying £18 for a game that only has Singleplayer.

I have to admit, I was quite glad their was no multiplayer. It means the developers can spend their entire time making the single player good and for this game it worked. I have to admit I never really buy games like this for multiplayer and once I have finished the single player part of the game, that’s it for me.

If I want Multiplayer, I play games like L4D2 or Battlefield.

Did you msi afterburner during gameplay to monior your gpu?
I played today and only one card was use.
So no crossfire profile for this game yet.

I had afterburner installed, but i can't remember using it while playing.

Soldato
18 quid expensive? eh, not for good SP.

^This. Never understood the mentality that every game should have multiplayer. There are plenty of other options for multiplayer fix, a story driven rpg isn't a game where development resources should be spent on producing a multiplayer component.

Soldato
What a cracking game this is, how it slipped under my radar I'll never know!

I was round at a friends house last Friday and he had an Xbone with it on, I decided it seemed good so bought a key for £14. It was well worth the money, a really good story line. I hope there's a follow on!

Back
Top Bottom