Woman saves fox from hounds

RDM

RDM

Soldato
Maybe so but with answers like that I think RDM should consider becoming a member of parliament.

To be honest considering how any straight yes or no answer would be used I am starting to have some sympathy as to why politicians avoid giving them.

Associate
To be honest considering how any straight yes or no answer would be used I am starting to have some sympathy as to why politicians avoid giving them.

Well, you can either stand by your reasoning and say "no, I don't condemn it", or you can say that there is a difference between animals suffering and dying to provide food, and animals suffering and dying for pointless, twisted indulgences (in my opinion, of course).

You were happy to say that you find it very difficult condemn fox hunting because we use animals for food, why not say the same about bestiality? I wouldn't agree with you but your reasoning would at least be consistent.

Soldato

Yes, I certainly see that myself. I find it quite shocking how some people will try and trap you with such questions and then lampoon you for being evasive! :D

Associate
Yes, I certainly see that myself. I find it quite shocking how some people will try and trap you with such questions and then lampoon you for being evasive! :D

There's no 'try' here... :D

Unless I hear differently, I'm going to assume RDM finds bestiality distasteful but acceptable. Castiel wouldn't answer the question either so I'll assume he feels the same way. :p

Permabanned
I don't even know that the question was relevant to the discussion so I ignored it, in any case I'm not really in a position to comment on your choice of sexual partner.

Associate
I don't even know that the question was relevant to the discussion so I ignored it, in any case I'm not really in a position to comment on your choice of sexual partner.

Nice try.

As for the rest I was showing that much of the arguments for and against the relative animals welfare and so on are either subjective or lacking in conclusive evidence and my belief that local communities should decide such matters in their own communities, whether that is for or against hunting in any form is immaterial to me as I do not have strong feelings either way.

Do you apply the same principles to bestiality? Both hunting and bestiality relate to animal welfare so the relevence is pretty obvious. It's certainly just as relevant as animals suffering and dying for food. Of course, I knew you wouldn't be able to answer it without either undermining your position or condoning bestiality. Nice try. :)

Last edited:
Permabanned
Nice try.

Do you apply the same principles to bestiality? Both hunting and bestiality relate to animal welfare so the relevence is pretty obvious. It's certainly just as relevant as animals suffering and dying for food. Of course, I knew you wouldn't be able to answer it without either undermining your position or condoning bestiality. Nice try. :)

How would applying an evidenced based position as I suggested to Bestiality be either undermining or condoning Bestiality? I neither oppose or condone hunting either, so I would apply the same principles, of course the two examples are different and therefore different variables and parameters would need to be considered in each case...

And I think RDM already mentioned that sexual relations in law are generally based on consent, whereas the killing of Animals either legally or illegally is not. So I don't think the
comparison is particularly relevant or even comparable in any practical sense.

Nice try in the attempt though.

Associate
And I think RDM already mentioned that sexual relations in law are generally based on consent, whereas the killing of Animals either legally or illegally is not. So I don't think the
comparison is particularly relevant or even comparable in any practical sense.

What about from a moral standpoint rather than legal? I think we can agree that killing animals for sport, killing animals for food and exploiting animals for sexual pleasure are bad for animal welfare to at least some degree, and clearly the animal can't consent to any of it. However, I still think there's a signifcant difference between killing animals for food, and using them for bloodsport or bestiality. Do you?

I found it surprising that bestiality is legal in Germany and a few other European countries, strange how many people don't see anything wrong with that either.

Permabanned
What about from a moral standpoint rather than legal? I think we can agree that killing animals for sport, killing animals for food and exploiting animals for sexual pleasure are bad for animal welfare to at least some degree, and clearly the animal can't consent to any of it. However, I still think there's a signifcant difference between killing animals for food, and using them for bloodsport or bestiality. Do you?

I found it surprising that bestiality is legal in Germany and a few other European countries, strange how many people don't see anything wrong with that either.

I think that you have answered the question of morality by showing that Bestiality is legal in various other liberal nations, basically ethics are ultimately subjective and I also think that in the specific case of fox hunting and hunting in general (as well as other Field Sports) the thing that keeps getting lost is that while it is a sport (or rather a pastime) it also serves a particular purpose and that is Wildlife Management....I am not sure what purpose bestiality plays exactly, but I do know that where there are taboo or laws against such practices they are not so much derived from concerns about animal welfare (although today that would be one of the considerations) but are based on or derived from cultural and religious ideals of Nature and Natural Law, so again I do not think that it is compatible with the debate.

Man of Honour
Everyday is a fox hunt with my Jack Russells, they've killed two now. It's only really one of them as well as the other has brain damage and is a bit too derpy to chase anything.

One of my cousins is big into hunting and has been for years. Him and his wife grew up in that scene and it is totally normalised for them. It's not my bag but it is also too easy to judge.

Back
Top Bottom