Woman spent £16m in Harrods and is asked to explain where she found the loose change.

Caporegime
What can you buy from Harrods which totals £16m anyway?

Well you can buy items totalling £16 million over a period of years from pretty much any large shop if you like. I doubt the relevant people would turn down your custom.

Harrods sells some rather expensive items though, IIRC people have even bought yachts via Harrods before. I've seen plenty of expensive furniture etc.. they do have uber expensive one off items too sometimes.

I mean you could get an advent calendar worth 1 million dollars a few years ago:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/...s-unveils-million-dollar-advent-calendar.html

Caporegime
Jesus who cares how she got her money. She's spending it isn't she? At least that's better than coming here, working and then sending it all home. Also if her "assets" get seized who gets the money? The authorities do and where does it go from there? No one knows....

her husband stole $2.2 billion. just think about that for a second. who did he steal it from? normal people. likely bankrupted the bank and his government, etc.

so you think she should be allowed to spend the rest of her life spending hundreds of millions with impunity?

Soldato
her husband stole $2.2 billion. just think about that for a second. who did he steal it from? normal people. likely bankrupted the bank and his government, etc.

so you think she should be allowed to spend the rest of her life spending hundreds of millions with impunity?
If they can prove this is the case then no but think about this for a second..... Will those people she stole from get the money back? No. So whats the point?

Soldato
If they can prove this is the case then no but think about this for a second..... With those people she stole from get the money back? No. So whats the point?
You're trolling right? That's like saying don't bother locking up murderers because you'll never bring the victims back :confused:

Soldato
You're trolling right? That's like saying don't bother locking up murderers because you'll never bring the victims back :confused:
I think thats you trolling me. What id like to see is some way of being able to credit the poor people that these people are stealing from instead of just using it to fund the authorities that bring them to justice. I just dont see the "justice" in the way they deal with assets gained. It just doesnt make sense,

Soldato
I think thats you trolling me. What id like to see is some way of being able to credit the poor people that these people are stealing from instead of just using it to fund the authorities that bring them to justice. I just dont see the "justice" in the way they deal with assets gained. It just doesnt make sense,

So if you can't give it to the direct victims you see no point? Despite the fact it can go into victims funds to compensate victims in general, or to fund the police force to be able to investigate UK crimes, or to the judiciary so they can bring justice, or even to the Treasury to fund general services to the public? All of these other options are pointless to you?

Soldato
As already pointed out this is the way the world works. If the "authorities" claim back £XXX from this woman then that's £XXX they don't need from taxpayers next year. It makes a difference, maybe not directly though.

Soldato

When they can identify victims they do get compensation.

When they cannot or it is not a case of theft but illegal earnings then the money all goes to the state and the justice system.

Soldato
Cant imagine it would be too difficult.
it was over 10 years.
1.6m per year average, so just over 100k per month.

I bet she could triple that in a clothing shopping spree easily in there.

Shocking.

She could have paid the wages of a slightly better than average premier league footballer instead.

Soldato
As already pointed out this is the way the world works. If the "authorities" claim back £XXX from this woman then that's £XXX they don't need from taxpayers next year. It makes a difference, maybe not directly though.
So "the way the world works" makes it right?

Associate
What ever happened to innocent until proved guilty? This seems more like guilty unless you can prove it, which is a lot harder to do!

Yes they go for the people with a massive amount first but look what is happening in the USA with laws like this one and I do wonder if that is the direction we are going over here :/

Back
Top Bottom