Women dies from Southwest Airlines engine explosion

Soldato
Just to add some context to this incident around 100 people die daily on the roads in the USA...

'National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) 2016 data shows 37,461 people were killed in 34,436 motor vehicle crashes, an average of 102 per day.'

Some of these people would no doubt die in conditions as bad of not worse then the woman on the plane. Airplane fatalities make the news due to their rarity.

Looks like a good job from the ex Air force pilot after the proverbial hit the fan.

I always tend to keep my belt on in a plane as its not personally uncomfortable and at the least might stop you bouncing about too much if the plane hits some sudden turbulence (I've had this experience myslef)

Soldato
Does it mean the woman who got sucked out of the window and pulled back in died?
Yes. Not to be grim but I wonder if she was all there when they got her back in :(

And anyway, seen as this is OcUK, shouldn't we be correcting all the headlines to say that she was "ejected" out of the plane due to decompression? You're not actually sucked out, you're blown out due to the plane being highly pressurised.

Permabanned
When a circa 36 inch circumference person is very forcibly pushed through a smaller diameter hole it is unlikely to be a pleasant experience for her or those around her. She was not made of toothpaste. You only have to stick an un-helmeted head out of a car window at 140 MPH to see what the air stream alone does to your ability to breath, God knows what the experience is like at an airliner's cruising speed :(

Soldato
I flew long haul 26 times last year, kept the belt even when sleeping on a bed in business. You don’t even know it’s there why would you even take it off.

Caporegime
It’s tragic for the deceased and her family but - statistically at least - it’s almost a non story, this type of failure is extremely rare given the number of similar - tried and tested - engines in service and the millions upon millions of safe hours they have ran for.

Nobody thinks twice about crossing a road yet more people die globally in a day from this activity than those who die in an aircraft accident in a decade....

I leave my belt on when flying- if we were meant to fly, we’d all have wings!

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Try sticking your head out the window/sunroof in a car when on the motorway and you'll realise how hard it is to breath and then there's all the airflow hitting your face.

That amplified multiple times on a plane... :eek:

Caporegime
Try sticking your head out the window/sunroof in a car when on the motorway and you'll realise how hard it is to breath and then there's all the airflow hitting your face.

That amplified multiple times on a plane... :eek:
Exactly the 737-700 has a cruising speed of ~580mph, I’d be surprised if she had much of her face left attached once they dragged her back in...

Caporegime
Exactly the 737-700 has a cruising speed of ~580mph, I’d be surprised if she had much of her face left attached once they dragged her back in...

And some of the airflow will have pockets of near Mach 1 velocities, which is probably like a brick scraping across you.

Don
Air density at that sort of altitude is only something like 15% of sea level air density, so the impact on the body is greatly reduced.

As muon says, it'll have been the buffeting of the body/head against the broken glass that will have done the job. :(

Soldato
It does not add up the is something wrong with this story.

Most plane windows are around 100 sq inches, the is no way in the world a hole in the plane window would suck a 60 to 90 kg person out.

The blade has hit her no two ways about it.

RIP either way.

Back
Top Bottom