Wood burning stoves FUEL BAN from 2021

Soldato
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/wood-burners-coal-fires-fuel-ban-104615972.html (looks like a copy and paste job)

Dramatic headlines but when you read it there isn't a ban - It seems some stupid people have been burning wet wood and causing pollution.
I have had wood burners since 1980s and at my old house I had three and I can never remember burning wet wood.
In the 80's you could get wood for next to nothing and I also scrounged loads and all of it was stacked and dried.
Here I have 5 log stores and as one is empty I buy more wood wet or dry but it's sitting there for a year or more.
When I cleaned the chimney at old house all I got out was just over half a bucket of soot and that house had 8ft 6" ceiling and high roof so it wasn't a short chimney.
Here its less than half bucket (Bungalow)
Is this another back door money making scheme by the gov. -it's a wonder they haven't upped the tax on it.
To be honest I should stop burning wood and buy heating oil instead as it would be much cheaper but I do like warming my tootsies on the hearth.

Just off out into garage and cut a load of starting sticks.

Soldato
I had heard about the government trying to sort out the fuel types before, seems we are maybe looking at a situation where wood coal etc will be available only through approved or authorised/vetted suppliers. So to limit random burning of bad wood / coal.

I don't think most people would wait 1-2 years fo wood to season. I applaud those that can do it though saves a lot of cash and gives semi free heating for winters.

Soldato
If this comes in to law, please include garden bonfires!

Well, this is going to be the problem isn't it.

I would imagine that most sales of "Wet Wood" would be as by-product from landscaping, tree surgery and so on.

If it cant be sold on as is, it will be disposed of in bonfires.

As ever, this is a case of wealthy towny types causing great hardship to large numbers of people by imposing legislation to solve a non-existent problem

The areas where this is likely to be an issue are already likely to be smoke controlled zones, so these fuels won't (Or at least shouldn't) be being used anyway, the areas where people are likely to be burning standard house coal or wood are going to be low population density areas where the pollution from doing so is not really a big problem.

Soldato
People are generally ignorant. I think this law is a good step in discouraging the use of wood burners, you can only imagine if they continued to rise in popularity entire streets would be shrouded in smog from them on a damp cold winters evening ruining the air quality.

Soldato
Coal is getting binned off too? Not just wet wood, not sure how they would prove someone is using wet wood though

Its not the use as such, it is the sale.

Also, From what I have read, you will still be able to buy wet wood in bulk (The presumption, i guess, being that anybody able to buy 2 tons at a time will have the space to store it until it dries out) it is smaller quantities that are being banned.

People are generally ignorant. I think this law is a good step in discouraging the use of wood burners, you can only imagine if they continued to rise in popularity entire streets would be shrouded in smog from them on a damp cold winters evening ruining the air quality.

Urban areas are all mostly smoke free zones these days already, the is a solution to a mostly none existent problem. especially since you cant use wet wood or house coal in wood burners/multifuel stoves anyway :rolleyes:

If people are breaking smoke free zone rules, existing laws can deal with the problem.

Government should not be introducing new rules to attemt to resolve problems arising from a failure to be arsed to enforce existing ones! :mad:

Permabanned
Good hate the smell and smoke all over my town in certain streets, it makes me think back to when my parents telling me when the were out playing (1940's) they had to wear hankies on their faces due to smog (turns hankie yellow), no need for it today apart from "its the in thing", IMO its backwards.

Know off a few "not so ideal neighbours" who have log burners in their gardens for their "beer parties" at the weekend, also heard on the grapevine when one went missing it was someone along the road who was sick of the noise and smell every weekend so gave it to his old aunt as a planter for her flowers.

Last edited:
Soldato
You can still burn some green waste but it very strict
https://www.gov.gg/pollution

Actually, the idea that people burning garden rubbish on a tiny island in the middle of the channel is going to be a problem is utter nonsense really. :(

Is this even an issue? Didn't realise there was a problem regarding "wet wood" ?
Just another way to control people?

This really, got to get everybody on a smart meter (For whatever utility) so they can be monitored and controlled and have to be indentured to subscriptionworld!

:mad:

Soldato
Good hate the smell and smoke all over my town in certain streets, it makes me think back to when my parents telling me when the were out playing (1940's) they had to wear hankies on their faces due to smog (turns hankie yellow), no need for it today apart from "its the in thing", IMO its backwards.

Know off a few "not so ideal neighbours" who have log burners in their gardens for their "beer parties" at the weekend, also heard on the grapevine when one went missing it was someone along the road who was sick of the noise and smell every weekend so gave it to his old aunt as a planter for her flowers.

Bet you drive a big polluting car though.

Soldato
Actually, the idea that people burning garden rubbish on a tiny island in the middle of the channel is going to be a problem is utter nonsense really. :(
Everyone here thinks it to do with making sure islanders pay for there new high waste charges (£2.50 per 90ltr black bag) instead of burning there waste and has nothing to do with the air pollution ;)

Soldato
Everyone here thinks it to do with making sure islanders pay for there new high waste charges (£2.50 per 90ltr black bag) instead of burning there waste and has nothing to do with the air pollution ;)

EEEEXXXXActlyyyyyyy!

You should should all get together and use the Ballot Box for what it is for!

(Sort of remember an anecdote from the classical era of Greek city states. It was democratic, anybody could propose a new Law, but when the vote was taken, they had to stand on a stool with a noose round their neck. If the vote went against them, the stool was kicked away! :p :cool: )

Permabanned
Bet you drive a big polluting car though.

No actually after my parked car was written off by 2 n00bs racing I decided I do not need a car as It sat outside most of the time, nice try though. :rolleyes:

I am by no means a tee hugger but walking along a road seeing chimneys putting out grey smoke and stinking the place out is really backwards today and again there is no need for it in the 21st centaury.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
I've grown up and currently live somewhere without mains gas. With an oil fuelled aga for very poor inefficient central heating or electric heaters (again very inefficient really) the coal fire is a very good alternative. Without that it's either throw money away or suffer. It's unrealistic to expect the Aga be replaced by a gas boiler and have gas delivered to some sort of onsite storage. I can imagine the cost to be close to if not over 10k plus the elevated cost of refuelling vs mains. The ban is unrealistic for those without alternatives or deep pockets and I don't trust the reasons for it are truly credible.

Sure it'll go out of fashion eventually but to just blanket ban in 12 months time out of nowhere is just nonsense. Infrastructure and alternatives need to be assessed and procedures put in place before they can just draw a line under it.

Soldato
I've grown up and currently live somewhere without mains gas. With an oil fuelled aga for very poor inefficient central heating or electric heaters (again very inefficient really) the coal fire is a very good alternative. Without that it's either throw money away or suffer. It's unrealistic to expect the Aga be replaced by a gas boiler and have gas delivered to some sort of onsite storage. I can imagine the cost to be close to if not over 10k plus the elevated cost of refuelling vs mains. The ban is unrealistic for those without alternatives or deep pockets and I don't trust the reasons for it are truly credible.

Sure it'll go out of fashion eventually but to just blanket ban in 12 months time out of nowhere is just nonsense. Infrastructure and alternatives need to be assessed and procedures put in place before they can just draw a line under it.

Don't plan to go gas, there's plans to stop mains gas. At least up here in Scotland.

Back
Top Bottom