Woops - spooked a horse

Associate
I'll preface this by saying I used to ride horses so I have nothing against the horses or their riders, I try to be courteous around them at all times and this is the first incident I have ever had with horses on the road.

I was out for "spirited" (but completely safe/legal) ride in the country today. As I rounded a bend there was horse crap across my whole lane, no choice but to ride through it, as the bend opened up I spotted 2 horses with riders so I started to slow, the oncoming traffic had stopped to wait for the horses so I had to come to a complete stop/crawl behind them.

I'll be the first to admit I could have probably stopped sooner, however I was cautious having just ridden through the crap which was most likely still on my wheels (should I have worried about this?) so I made use of the available stopping distance I had.

I slowed till I was maybe 8 foot behind the horse, at which point the rider seemed to panic and yank on the reins (almost pulling the horse into the car next to it), this caused the horse to panic and stamp a bit. After it calmed they carried on forwards, I followed maybe 15 feet behind at which point I was told to wait by the lead rider, so I did. Eventually they pulled to the side so I went to pass, the lead horse almost stepped back into the road at this point, so I gave it a really wide berth.

I feel bad about spooking the horse and will be sure to give them even more space in future. I do however I feel the whole incident would have been avoided if my tyres weren't coated in crap and if the riders weren't so panicky, has anyone else had any incidents with horses while out for a country ride?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I tend to give them as wide a birth as I can,and pull in the clutch/throttle off and coast past

I have heard that some horses like that less than a constant noise as it catches them off guard when it sneaks up on them. Apparently it's one of the reasons they sometimes like bicycles even less than motorcycles.

Caporegime
I have heard that some horses like that less than a constant noise as it catches them off guard when it sneaks up on them. Apparently it's one of the reasons they sometimes like bicycles even less than motorcycles.

Idk I've never had any issues,I just think the less loud noise the less to startle them,most have blinkers on the horses anyway so can't see much

It's still a Wildish animal at the end of the day so its just pot luck I imagine

Soldato
I tend to clutch in/ride slowly past horses, never had an issue - the ones that don't like traffic/noise shouldn't be ridden on the road. Sounds like the rider of yours was a bit panicky, again if they can't control a half ton animal then get off the road until they can.

Small dogs (it's always small dogs, never 'proper' sized ones!) that go mental and try to chase me are just funny :D

Associate
OP
The whole incident could have been avoided if there were no horses on the road at all. Completely avoidable and shouldn't be allowed imo.

That's another option, I don't feel it's very safe, from looking at some horsey forums, even a carrier bag is enough to spook most horses ><

wazza300 said:
Idk I've never had any issues,I just think the less loud noise the less to startle them,most have blinkers on the horses anyway so can't see much

My bike is fairly quiet, SFV650 (stock pipe and mahusive collector box). These horses didn't have blinkers on, so I think when the rider panicked and the horse saw me behind it was a bit like: "WTF is that thing behind me!!"

Soldato
Having lived in rural areas all my life I'm used to coming across them down country lanes. What annoys me though are the riders that choose the busy periods and on a commute route which causes congestion and danger to themselves.

Oh and the stuck up ones that think they have the right of the road just because they're on a horse!

Soldato
So you would ride up behind it as though it was a car? Or if you were coming the other way just go past at your normal speed? I find horses unpredictable so would scared about passing one at my normal speed.

I do slow down yeah, it depends on the horse rider, I've had some that ask me to stop and get off my bike lol, those I tend to just ignore and ride past.

Caporegime
I keep as far away from them as possible.

I somewhat doubt the ability of the 6-13 year old girl perched on top of them to control them even slightly.

Police horses I feel more confident around but still give them berth and slow down cause you know police lol

Man of Honour
Why are they slowed to just poo on the road though why don't they have to pick it up like a dog owner?

Because herbivore faeces is far less dangerous to us than that of meat eaters. That's the genuine reason by the way, but I don't agree with them being allowed to **** all over the roads leaving a hazard.

Back
Top Bottom