Working from home - claiming vat relief

Soldato
I may shortly be working from home, pretty much full time (weekends away occasionally).

Do I have the ability to swing anything onto "buying for business use"? Not after any ultimately dodgy dealings but curious if additional screens I'll need for work (genuinely) could be purchased vat exempt, for example.

Yes, this would eventually be nudged along to "oh the baller game rig? totally needed for business" but I'd be sensible about it.

Soldato
OP
Employer will be providing the laptop. New screens at work at the moment are enough of a ballache to get, for home... I think I'm going to be hand in pocket.
Was an example. Not being a muppet about it but vat relief on some purchases if the angle exists... who wouldn't? :)

Soldato
OP
Employee of a blue chip (telecoms).

It's quite possible they wouldn't want the hassle of me buying on their vat deductions. I figure its worth knowing about if I ever want/need to ask.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't think there's any such thing as vat relief. If you were vat registered then you can offset it against the vat you charge to reduce the vat you pay HMRC but if you aren't charging it then you can't claim it.
There is tax relief available when working from home but only if you have to work from home and not if you are doing it voluntarily. It's quite specific on what you can claim and things that are also used for personal use are excluded such as broadband.

There maybe tax relief on some equipment but you would have to claim it back when you submitted a self assessment tax form at the end of the tax year, I would speak to your accounts department for advice.

Soldato
OP
Fair enough, ty both. That's more or less what I was after (thin end of it so I know who might be worth the approach).

Was aware of the working from home £18 a month I think?

Not worth the hassle, though I would HAVE to be working from home (only secure/approved business offices for the job being Edin/Lon)

Associate
You still come under DSE regs, your employer has to provide everything, you can't work on a laptop. Desk, chair, mouse, KB, monitor. Whatever you need.

Soldato
My employer provide WFH equipment on loan (24 inch monitor mouse keyboard etc if you want), might be worth asking. Flipside is to factor the ££ and time savings you'll be making from not commuting and be happy :D

Back
Top Bottom