World Cup: linesmen will not flag marginal offsides (VAR)

Man of Honour
Great, so going to lead to lots of goals either not getting celebrated as they should while fans wait and see whats happening, or lots of broken hearts and brilliant football moments (last minute goals, brilliant counter attacks) ruined because they were offside all along but we are led to believe they might not be

FIFA just do not know how to use VAR, it's farcical.

Sui

Sui

Soldato
I suppose it is the most fair option. It will be interesting to see what happens though if it's deemed offside but in the mean time there's a reckless red card tackle, as the defenders/players shouldn't have been in a position that this would have happened.

fez

fez

Caporegime
It makes a lot of sense doesn't it. You either give the benefit of the doubt to the attacking team and allow them to finish the attack/attempt on goal or you make a potentially wrong offside call and a game/tournament changing decision. I don't think they will change the way they ref beyond the marginal calls. They won't be ignoring every offside and looking at it later.

Put it this way, would you be more annoyed having to watch a couple of goals disallowed because they were marginally offside or would you prefer a clear cut game changing chance to be stopped because a linesman made a bad call on a marginal offside.

Soldato
OP
Put it this way, would you be more annoyed having to watch a couple of goals disallowed because they were marginally offside or would you prefer a clear cut game changing chance to be stopped because a linesman made a bad call on a marginal offside.
Honestly, I think i'd be more annoyed about the disallowed goals. It just undermines what's happening in front of you.

I mean, under this regime a significant percentage of all goals scored from beating the offside trap will be ruled out. I feel like we won't be able to trust what we are watching as it happens

Soldato
I suppose it is the most fair option. It will be interesting to see what happens though if it's deemed offside but in the mean time there's a reckless red card tackle, as the defenders/players shouldn't have been in a position that this would have happened.
nothing interesting about it, it will still be a red card. whether players should or shouldn't have been in a certain position had play stopped is irrelevant.

Don
This is going to cause so much controversy. It's all good and well people saying it's better to have all this stop/start nonsense if it results in the right call but what happens when the attacker is offside but given the benefit of the doubt, their shot is tipped around the post and they score from the resulting corner? Are they going to go back and review the original offside call? From what I understand VAR has to be used as soon as the ball goes out of play (before the corner is taken) but is only used in the result of a goal (after the corner). So we're going to have incidents where a lino would have flagged for offside but didn't because of VAR and a team will score a goal that would have correctly been ruled out without VAR.

I've said it so many times, with all the billions of pounds in the game surely a player tracking system can be developed that instantly informs the lino if a player is in an offside position.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I've said it so many times, with all the billions of pounds in the game surely a player tracking system can be developed that instantly informs the lino if a player is in an offside position.

How would this work? It would have to be accurate to the millisecond and somehow track every single part of every players body at every single moment in the game. We are nowhere near that level of technology yet.

Soldato
Not so easy - the system would need to 'see' which player the ball was being passed to and where they are in relation to the defense line as the ball leaves the passing players foot.

GPS isn't accurate enough to measure tolerances down to the levels required

Don
I'm not going to pretend to be an expert in GPS or any other ways to track players but unless they can develop an instant system then they should scrap VAR for offsides because whichever way they implement the current system it's going to lead to wrong decisions.
Not so easy - the system would need to 'see' which player the ball was being passed to and where they are in relation to the defense line as the ball leaves the passing players foot.
My suggestion was on the basis that the technology simply alerts the lino of a player being in an offside position, the lino can then do the rest of the work to determine whether they're actually offside.

Soldato
OP

GPS isn't accurate enough to measure tolerances down to the levels required
I could imagine giving the linesmen some sort of google glass-style eyewear and adding in some augmented reality to highlight offside players.

Associate
Track their feet and get over the whole 'goal scoring parts of the body'.
Fair enough tbh. If your shoulders/head are outside it's so marginal. Do wonder how that system would cope with offside players and interfering and not interfering with play though. Suppose that's always up to the ref.

Always going to be some element of judgement

Back
Top Bottom