World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

V F

V F

Soldato
I still use plasma TV's as my daily units. A 50" 1080p in the lounge and a 32" 720p in the bedroom. The only time I'll change is when they die and I'll move to OLED.

Plasma motion really is a glorious experience. It really feels like the days of owning a CRT TV except it's flat and thin. The Hobbit films really are incredible on Plasma when you see waterfalls. It looks so real.
Or even the Transformers films. The fighting is so clear.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
oh yes, I need to watch the HObbit films on this, the motion on TV/Films so far has been exceptional, nice to watch stuff on this vs the OLED TV in the living room, even with motion smoothing turned off, it just doesn't feel as cinematic as it does on a monitor that does away with post processing that TVs are known for.

This is the biggest issue with the panel currently. OSD settings are randomly enabled/disabled In diff modes. There’s not a single mode with full controls enabled.

The upshot is that these are things Dell can fix with a firmware update. Just sort out the OSD menus and it will be good after that. Although will that happen? Unknown lol.

Also installing the Alienware Command Centre app tries to keep prompting you to sign into your Microsoft account why? Why do I need to sign in to MS to use a monitor control app?! You can skip it but you have to skip it twice each time you run the app. Thankfully you can uninstall the app after you've changed whatever you need to change.

Did they? Maybe they can confirm. Sucks. @mrk what was your order time and confirm time? Sorry if I asked already :o

A fan in a monitor… :rolleyes:

I don’t have a silent case no more so probably won’t hear it hopefully.

Probably been asked before, but when was your order time and confirmation time?

Yeah it is a tad annoying having a fan, it sounds like the fan is also active even when you turn the monitor off, as long as it's still plugged in. I have not timed how long it stays on for though but imagine there is a cooling off period and then it too turns off.

I will definitely be getting gen 2 of these QD-OLED displays though I think if there is no fan in those ones, or if a FreeSync Pro model comes out as nVidia cards can use that too. VRR is VRR end of the day.

Order received email was at 0809 and order confirmation email was at 0812. I actually placed the order around 0806!

In the Alienware menu. On my oled tv contrast is always set to 100. And is independently adjustable from the sdr mode. When I adjust contrast in sdr mode on this monitor it adjusts contrast in hdr mode as well. They have tied contrast settings to both hdr and sdr. Surely that’s not right. Or maybe I’m wrong. Always thought contrast should be at 100 in hdr and lower in sdr.

Ahh I see, from what I understood, HDR when content
is played, the brightness controls are locked out anyway so contrast should not matter in the OSD? As it's being handled by the HDR itself. Btw contrast set to 100 on this is simply too bright, well not just this but any monitor. You end up crushing the whites at the brighter end. 60-70 appears to be the sweet spot on all monitors I have calibrated over the years and confirmed the results with the Lagom white test chart.

by playing a game with gsync or vrr turned on in fullscreen where the game has near black scenes (not bright, not pitch black, in between half black half grey)

I can produce the flicker very consistently in this game: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Pictures_Anthology:_Little_Hope

because the game has perfect scenes to produce the flicker

And in some scenes it happens in this game: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control_(video_game)

Cheers I just downloaded this on STEAM and gave it a quick play and can confirm no such flickering observed. I recorded a video for reference:

@mrk got a link to the wallpaper? Probably one of your photos? :)

In other news, 1st order still just showing as shipped.... and 2nd order still on confirmed status despite it supposedly being shipped yesterday, what a surprise! :p

The aurora one? That's one of my pics from Lapland, was a brilliant week that, each day saw the aurora, a thing to behold in person for sure.

Link: https://i.imgur.com/sE9B7bw.jpeg

Hey mrk, can you try this program:
https://easyupload.io/13xa4w
This is the one that replicates flicker on mine. If yours dont flicker, than I have a faulty gsync module.

Just tried this, saw your Trust message with it too so will ref this shortly but essentially so far this tool is the only time I have noticed the flickering, I guess the tool is specifically designed to show the flickering if it exists though. No games, media or other content has any such flickering from what I've seen and played so far.

flickervrr.gif

Is that an Ergotron MX, and if so, have you noticed any issues? Ergotron recommends the LX over the MX for this monitor.

No issue at all, on paper it's nigh on the same weight as my outgoing LG, so didn't expect any issues really. It is the Ergotron MX.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Order received email was at 0809 and order confirmation email was at 0812. I actually placed the order around 0806!
I had my order done by that time also. Had my card on file already so it was done super quick.

So basically you ordered after me but still got it. Goes to show Dell are not doing it by order time properly. Oh well, it is what it is. At least I should hopefully get it in the next batch.

Hopefully when mine comes the box is in better shape. At least my warranty will be one month longer now :cry:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
If it makes you feel better, @HungryHippos actually notified me of the ordering going live etc as we were chatting that morning about it all, he placed his order just before me :p

Btw I was signed in to my Dell online account if that made a difference, preferential treatment for signed in members? :p

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
If it makes you feel better, @HungryHippos actually notified me of the ordering going live etc as we were chatting that morning about it all, he placed his order just before me :p

Btw I was signed in to my Dell online account if that made a difference, preferential treatment for signed in members? :p
Nope. I was signed in also. Card saved everything. Was done super quick. I was in front of the computer before 8 waiting lol.

Associate
The flicker is hard to compare as there is so many different pc configs. One person may see it in a game and another may not in the same, due to 1 pc having a more erratic frame time. With the program, it purposely gives erratic frame time. More than likely over time, you will come across this in games too.

I've kept my order for now, but definitely keeping an eye on any developments.

BTW if I didn't already have an Oled, id still be all over this even with the flicker.

Associate
Hi guys, I just got on an online chat with someone at Dell UK and they have sent me an offer email and I need to transact over the phone. The email is from a Dell address, and the chat happened on the Dell website, but the discount is pretty big (£847 inc VAT). Is this legit?! I'd usually do this throug the website to avoid being scammed but apparently it's not an option in this instance....

If anyone is interested - this was legit. I called the Dell UK customer services line and asked if the rep I was conversing with genuinely worked for Dell, and the customer service agent put me through to him. Also did a bit of snooping on LinkedIn and confirmed he was a real person (working in Dell's Hyderbad office).

Unfortunately I think I'm going to have to wait until late July for delivery, but on the plus side, I paid £847 for the monitor and my credit card company is running a promotion that gives a £100 statement credit for spending over £750 at Dell.

I can't quite believe how little I've paid for this monitor...I mean, don't get me wrong, it's still a lot of money, but the specs and the warranty are next level. Considering the Predator X35 and PG35VQ are around 3-4x more than this, and they are using FALD, the tech in the AW3423DW is game-changing (no pun intended) at this price-point.

Good luck to everyone trying to get hdld of one.
Wintermute

Associate
Just wondering if people are already taking preventative measures against burn in like having a black background and setting monitor to turn off after 5 mins inactivity, etc? I’m not sure to take it easy with the monitor or just to use it as I would normally as I have never used an OLED display before. Curious what others are doing?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
No need to go that far, every 4 hours the screen will perform/prompt to pixel refresh amd every 1500 hours will do a panel refresh. They take 7 mins for pixel and a full hour for panel. You can manually activate these in the OSD also.

I just have a black screensaver kick in after 15 mins idle time and after 30 mins the display goes to sleep.

Soldato
Well after lots of back and forth they are not interested and have told me basically its tough, they dont know why it got cancelled and to re-order if I want it.
Have asked them to escalate it as a complaint, as this isnt right... 08:14 confirmed, now kicked out of the queue and not able to get the good price I had.

Associate
If anyone is interested - this was legit. I called the Dell UK customer services line and asked if the rep I was conversing with genuinely worked for Dell, and the customer service agent put me through to him. Also did a bit of snooping on LinkedIn and confirmed he was a real person (working in Dell's Hyderbad office).

Unfortunately I think I'm going to have to wait until late July for delivery, but on the plus side, I paid £847 for the monitor and my credit card company is running a promotion that gives a £100 statement credit for spending over £750 at Dell.

I can't quite believe how little I've paid for this monitor...I mean, don't get me wrong, it's still a lot of money, but the specs and the warranty are next level. Considering the Predator X35 and PG35VQ are around 3-4x more than this, and they are using FALD, the tech in the AW3423DW is game-changing (no pun intended) at this price-point.

Good luck to everyone trying to get hdld of one.
Wintermute
What did you say in the chat to get them to email you the offer.

Associate
What did you say in the chat to get them to email you the offer.

I had the offer too. I just opened live chat, queried about when payment is taken. Closed, then a few minutes later the rep had sent me a 847 offer. Totally surprised as he never said anything in the chat.

Back
Top Bottom