World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

Caporegime
Because the points i made are there, if someone says they are not there it's false. You can say i will live with this failures, but saying they are not there is untrue.

No one is saying they're not there (even though Vincent hasnt touched on them to the extent you have, he hasn't denied issues). You're must be aware you're probably over-exaggerating their significance, especially in relation to gaming use. Other uses may be more impacted.

Whether this is the best gaming monitor or not is opinion not fact. Different people will look for different characteristics in their monitors.

Last edited:
Associate
They are a lot people who wont believe it, calling me troll, because this monitior should be the awaited game changer for a long time. I truely understand it, i was in the same position. The reviews and comments from user before buying were mentioning a lot unacceptable failures, but i want test it on my own. Even because i considered to use it as second monitor only for gaming with headphones. But even for this the failures are too heavy. The sharpness, flickering, motion clarity, 4 hours pixel refresh, green, magenta glow, reflections, color performance are awful.

Now we can hope the 42" C2 or some new fald lcd monitors are better. Im not satisfied with this outcome, but i have no choice. The AW3423DW is unenjoyable.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
So Vincent says best PC gaming monitor. I think I will take his word over it than my friend over at victors reality. Seems to me he does live in his own reality :p

Yes day time viewing is not the best, contrast takes a hit and blacks appear grey. To get the best from this monitor use in the dark
No problem, I have my own man cave/office where I have full control of how much light goes in and I usually prefer it dark anyway.

Yes this monitor does suffer from Near black flicker when VRR/Gsync is enabled, this issue is worse the higher refresh rate goes as the gamma delta gets bigger as the screen refresh rate increases - Can't wait to see all the people who said "Gsync ultimate will prevent flicker" what they say now
I will be using it in 144hz mode anyway so not a huge deal.

Input latency measured higher than an LG OLED TV
I will just leave mrk’s response here which I found was accurate and apt:

Yup, people will gloss past this and only see what they want to see and hook onto that and make it a thing sadly :p

I am personally still really looking forward to this monitor arriving. If I can’t get on with it I will just get the LG C1 48” or wait for the price to come down on the 42” LG C2. Not interested in anything else.

Associate
It’s messages like this that slightly concern me. This monitor is meant to be in another league according to most, yet you got people sayimg meh, I will go back to the neo g9, which I personally would never bother upgrading to from what I got.

For me personally it will either be this AW QD-OLED monitor or an LG OLED.

It’s all personal choice of course. I’m not saying it’s a bad monitor. It’s a fantastic monitor, just for me at the minute I prefer the neo and I’m not sure if it’s the screen size being smaller or something else. I suppose it will take me time re-adjust as I’ve had a g9 since 2019.

Caporegime
Lol. Nothing about the huge failures. Best Gaming Monitor with these negative aspects. This reviewer is also a joke. But who expected something else? I remember no reviewer who is mentioning every negative aspect about monitors. Only some user comments or many user comments with little information pieces all together are drawing the real picture about monitors.

@srekal34

Saying other users who are describing all relevant aspects of this monitor are trolls, because these opionions are interfering your self invented buying reasons, is very poor.

He said it's the best gaming monitor, not the best desktop monitor.

But yeah, Vincent is highly regarded and knows his stuff so am happy to accept his verdict.

I've based other purchases on his reviews (like my 83" Sony A90J) and I've never felt let down.

Caporegime
Ok, this was harder than I thought as camera shows the reflections more easily :p Bear in mind, camera over exposes the screens colours (in real life, the blacks are much more black and colours overall do pop more) and secondly, again, it's not representative of what you will experience/see in real life especially if you're viewing on a LCD display..... The white wall/bit you see in some photos is where I have a big velux window. Blind wasn't fully down as you can tell. For a couple of photos, I did close the blind over a bit more (not entirely) just to give some comparison as well as some bright scenarios. Other light source would be light leakage from the main house/hall (coming from back left). These are all SDR unless stated otherwise. Phone camera is gs 21 and I'm no mrk with a camera :p

5kyooIW.jpg

xR28thg.jpg

MJYWepq.jpg

8igPAYQ.jpg

IwNiDQE.jpg

cBleQLA.jpg

H0Hi00V.jpg

xg9pvsT.jpg

R1ztYC9.jpg

AJbkvqr.jpg

pIVO67d.jpg

pgqUnX5.jpg

UDIXMDP.jpg

XA9eqOZ.jpg

uqjKUSL.jpg

UoCIrkG.jpg

This is with a lamp on to the left and blind closed

2pij8Wp.jpg

This is HDR400 with blind closed over a bit:

chWwh0C.jpg

This still does far better than my iiyama ips 34" did in those conditions. Yes, if you want the full experience of pure blackness, then a very dim/dark room is going to be better obviously.

Associate
@VincentHanna

He is only doing some display parameter testing. Far away from complete testing. In my opinion not a good reviewer. He is not alone with this limited testing. Many reviewers are making strict testing of some aspects so many disadvantages are flying below the radar.

@Nexus18

The display looks very fuzzy. Which kind of display did you use before? I could only imagine 1080p ~90 ppi users would be satisfied with such sharpness level.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
@VincentHanna

He is only doing some display parameter testing. Far away from complete testing. In my opinion not a good reviewer. He is not alone with this limited testing. Many reviewers are making strict testing of some aspects so many disadvantages are flying below the radar.
What disadvantages? Please list them. Vincent will be doing so in his next video :)

Caporegime
@Nexus18

The display looks very fuzzy. Which kind of display did you use before? I could only imagine 1080p ~90 ppi users would be satisfied which such sharpness level.

It's just the photos and way I have taken them, adjusting exposure etc. in order to try and show the anti glare coating with some dark scenes etc. more than showing clarity of.

As for what displays I have used, various ones but the ones I currently own:

I currently have LG e7 (pretty old now though tbf), a 2019 macbook pro (awesome screen and nothing can touch it's clarity/sharpness but to be expected given the PPI), iiyama 34"IPS 1440 (good display on whole but nothing compared to this), lg 29" 1080P (actually an awesome screen for colours and uses the lightest matte coating)

Overall clarity and sharpness is better than my iiyama ips 34" 1440 because of the lack of a matte coating. For purely text and "thin" text at that, yes I would prefer my iiyama 34" 1440. However, I have not tried clear type yet.

Like I said further back, for the ones that value PPI/clarity more than anything else and/or sit fairly close to their display, then this is probably not the display for them, a display with 150+ppi or/and the normal sub pixel structure would be better there (assuming the matte coating is very light or it's glossy too)

Some photos more for overall image quality, again a good case of the camera "exaggerating" the pixel structure but with your own eyes, you don't see it, I could do the same on any of my other displays too.

eQTXG2t.jpg

UcswrAa.jpg

konyKHz.jpg

VKmVQUP.jpg

E37csGr.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
#2640 and here an impression of the annoying fan noise.
can you confirm if this is you?
Colin-Robinson-Feeding-Glowing-Eyes.jpg

Caporegime
And to show what I mean by being able to exaggerate pixel structure etc.

Husky photo on my LG e7:

WIUSDLH.jpg

BenU2dg.jpg

Anyway, thinking of picking up a hardware calibrator, any recommendations without breaking the bank? :)

EDIT:

I just noticed vincent had 2.4 gamma set, is that correct with your findings too @mrk?

Soldato
It's just the photos and way I have taken them, adjusting exposure etc. in order to try and show the anti glare coating with some dark scenes etc. more than showing clarity of.

Here are photos taken more for clarity, however, again, it's all rather pointless as camera will exaggerate pixel sub structure and any issues etc.

Overall clarity and sharpness is better than my iiyama ips 34" 1440 because of the lack of a matte coating. For purely text and "thin" text at that, yes I would prefer my iiyama 34" 1440. However, I have not tried clear type yet.

Like I said further back, for the ones that value PPI/clarity more than anything else and/or sit fairly close to their display, then this is probably not the display for them, a display with 150+ppi or/and the normal sub pixel structure would be better there (assuming the matte coating is very light or it's glossy too)

Some photos more for overall image quality, again a good case of the camera "exaggerating" the pixel structure but with your own eyes, you don't see it, I could do the same on any of my other displays too.

eQTXG2t.jpg

UcswrAa.jpg

konyKHz.jpg

VKmVQUP.jpg

E37csGr.jpg

Thosw pictures of your AW3423DW look great on my AW3423DW, you can really tell the quality of the AW3423DW when viewing it on an AW3423DW. :p

Anyway, on your Cleartype point, i did some adjustment on that myself this morning and text clarity does appear to be a bit better after making some changes. So not really a world ender.

Also in terms of the Fan noise, my system is already louder than what the fans in the monitor produce, but when i way laying in bed last night, the fan was just audible since my room is pretty quiet. The monitor is also only 6 foot from the side of my bed.

I have seen some near black flickering in Eve online's menu's. But it really isn't an issue in the grander scheme of things. Tried some Payday 2 and that flew on this, wasn't sure if it's the OLED responsiveness or Gsync/Freesync doing it, but even at lower FPS than on my old 1080p it just felt more responsive.

Caporegime
Thosw pictures of your AW3423DW look great on my AW3423DW, you can really tell the quality of the AW3423DW when viewing it on an AW3423DW. :p

Anyway, on your Cleartype point, i did some adjustment on that myself this morning and text clarity does appear to be a bit better after making some changes. So not really a world ender.

Also in terms of the Fan noise, my system is already louder than what the fans in the monitor produce, but when i way laying in bed last night, the fan was just audible since my room is pretty quiet. The monitor is also only 6 foot from the side of my bed.

I have seen some near black flickering in Eve online's menu's. But it really isn't an issue in the grander scheme of things. Tried some Payday 2 and that flew on this, wasn't sure if it's the OLED responsiveness or Gsync/Freesync doing it, but even at lower FPS than on my old 1080p it just felt more responsive.

Haha indeed! Even mrks awesome photos don't show of how good the display is :p

Here they are if you want to view for yourself:

https://i.imgur.com/18XunmB.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/WdAPDqy.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/9UVzJlH.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/sc8qf1S.jpg

Fan noise does seem to be a subjective thing, that or some monitors have it worse than others.... as I can't hear/notice mine unless I put my head right behind the monitor.

Same here too, compared to my iiyama 144HZ IPS, even at the same fps, things just look and feel far more responsive, say it's largely down to the oled pixel response though as I also found motion superior on my 60HZ oled compared to 100+fps on my 144hz ips, although if this is your first time using gsync then that will be helping with the responsiveness bit if your fps is <60 and fluctuating.

2.4 is ideal for light controlled environments. It’s what’s used to grade content.

2.2 better for daytime

Thanks. Always thought 2.2 was the go to unless as stated, in a very bright environment and playing dark games....

Soldato
Haha indeed! Even mrks awesome photos don't show of how good the display is :p

Same here too, compared to my iiyama 144HZ IPS, even at the same fps, things just look and feel far more responsive, say it's largely down to the oled pixel response though as I also found motion superior on my 60HZ oled compared to 100+fps on my 144hz ips, although if this is your first time using gsync then that will be helping with the responsiveness bit if your fps is <60 and fluctuating.

Ah cheers for the links, they do look great, especially the polar bear fur.

A friend of mine who has a C1 and a 240Hz monitor says that the C1 at 144 Hz, even running VRR feels more responsive than the 240Hz monitor being maxed. So a lot of it is likely coming down to that pixel responsiveness.

On the VRR side of things, the screen has said on it's menu ( Gsync : Gsync ) since i plugged it in, but i didn't even have VRR enabled in radeon settings. So it's been difficult for me to tell if it has even been working. I have enabled VRR in radeon settings now but i am finding it difficult to test.

Soldato
OP
And to show what I mean by being able to exaggerate pixel structure etc.

Husky photo on my LG e7:

WIUSDLH.jpg

BenU2dg.jpg

Anyway, thinking of picking up a hardware calibrator, any recommendations without breaking the bank? :)

EDIT:

I just noticed vincent had 2.4 gamma set, is that correct with your findings too @mrk?

That photo of the husky just pops more on your lg oled thanbthe Alienware - the Alienware continue to look full to me in any comparison- must be that anti glare coating

Back
Top Bottom