World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

Associate
2.4 on OLED is really meant for no lights in the room. Practically what you'd experience in cinema. 2.4 Power Law is going to be extremely dark coming out of black even with any small light in the room. You'd likely never see a great deal of shadow detail with a lamp in the room using power law 2.4. Where BT.1886 will help, yet it's still a very powerful looking image with that gamma. 2.2 gamma is still used in broadcast/TV series and such as well as sports broadcasts.

I cannot see many here sitting in a pitch black room for that gamma. Even with the way OLED is, 2.2 gamma is still very rich on OLED versus LED.

BT1886 and 2.4 are the same on oled. This has been well known and tested for many years now.

Man of Honour
No need myster internet troll Cancer. We all all here waiting for photo of nick with box that you cant provide as you not got the monitor.
@Baddass he cant make photo since hes sitting typing crap in mums basement on 21 inch tf panel 60hz monitor LOL
Lol yes true. And she’s confiscated his phone right now too

Man of Honour
And to show what I mean by being able to exaggerate pixel structure etc.

Husky photo on my LG e7:

WIUSDLH.jpg

BenU2dg.jpg

Anyway, thinking of picking up a hardware calibrator, any recommendations without breaking the bank? :)

EDIT:

I just noticed vincent had 2.4 gamma set, is that correct with your findings too @mrk?

2.4/2.6 is for the wider gamut modes like DCI-P3 I guess. I'm only interested in sRGB and in Windows, so Gamaa should always be at 2.2. As for a calibrator, most will be fine really, it's the software like DIsplayCAL whereby you'd need a correction profile to account for your device and the AW so the software know where to adjust and correct Macs have a different gamma level too hence why I mentioned Windows specifically.

Associate
What he’s saying is that games that run low frame rate in comparison to panel rate will have more flicker. Example, if you have the panel set to 175hz and the game is dipping sub 60fps, that game has a higher chance of showing flicker and gamma deviation than it running at 120hz.
Yup, my question was more on the subjective side. How bad is the flicker in those games to Vincent's eyes, and is it enough that he preferred to lower refresh to mitigate the issue. It sounded like this could've been the case.
I'm torn between this and the 42c2. I have this on order, but if this also has noticeable flicker in a few games, ill go with the 4k Oled.

Soldato
Can you read? It says it's only simulated, and the result is close to perfect relative to the refresh rate.

Cheers bud, will have a look when home.

OSD -> game -> game enhance mode -> frame rate

It shows the refresh rate, and with working VRR, it will be the same as the FPS you are getting in game.

Cheers bud. Will check it when home.

Associate
This monitor does look pretty fantastic, but it's not tempting me to swap my AW3821 yet, I've only got it a year ago.My next monitor will almost certainly be an OLED, but I'll be a happier when it has matured, from a gaming perspective, and comes in a 3840 x 1600 res (or higher, wide-screen res, of course). It's not far off now, but I think possibly a couple iterations down the line once the potential flickering issues are sorted (if possible) it'll be damn near perfect.

If I didn't already have the AW3821, I would have been all in on this, however!

Soldato
:D So Gsync / Freesync all working now for me.

Thanks to @muhkuh for explaining how to bringup the monitors built in refresh counter.

So i have Freesync enabled here in radeon settings (Satisfactory is the game)
20220327_162821.jpg

Then i just dynamically disabled Freesync in the radeon settings overlay and it seamlessly transitioned to fixed refresh, which is quite nice.
20220327_163051.jpg

TBH, i could tell little difference between the two at this ingame framerate. But i have left freesync enabled for now anyway.

This is my first VRR monitor by the way. :cool:

Caporegime
2.4/2.6 is for the wider gamut modes like DCI-P3 I guess. I'm only interested in sRGB and in Windows, so Gamaa should always be at 2.2. As for a calibrator, most will be fine really, it's the software like DIsplayCAL whereby you'd need a correction profile to account for your device and the AW so the software know where to adjust and correct Macs have a different gamma level too hence why I mentioned Windows specifically.

Thanks. Using windows here for this display too.

Will leave at 2.4 for now until his final review is out and tftcentral get their results then decide from there what to do next.

So is everyone saying that the most accurate mode is creator with srgb with gamma set to 2.2. What hdr mode is everyone using for gaming? 400 or 1000?

I was using HDR400 as found it looked nicer and easier on the eyes but since Vincents video, I have switched to HDR 1000 but might switch back....

Is this a photo? I cannot help think of the 2002 film with Cuba Gooding Jr. Snow Dogs.

Yup :cool:

In terms of the panel cleansing after 4 hours thing etc. Are people setting windows to turn off the display after 15 minutes? Speaking of which, I am finding windows very odd here atm, sometimes my screen saver won't activate at all, nor will the screen turn off after 10 minutes nor will my wallpaper change after 10 minutes :/

In terms of flicker, can't say I have noticed it in gaming yet. I'm using 144HZ mode though as don't see much point going higher since my 3080 in newer games can barely hold 100+ fps with max settings, let alone 140, even with dlss....

Soldato
In terms of the panel cleansing after 4 hours thing etc. Are people setting windows to turn off the display after 15 minutes? Speaking of which, I am finding windows very odd here atm, sometimes my screen saver won't activate at all, nor will the screen turn off after 10 minutes nor will my wallpaper change after 10 minutes :/

In terms of flicker, can't say I have noticed it in gaming yet. I'm using 144HZ mode though as don't see much point going higher since my 3080 in newer games can barely hold 100+ fps with max settings, let alone 140, even with dlss....

the panel refresh wants to run after every 4 hours of active display use. it doesnt have to run on the dot at 4 hours, but after the 4 hour period it will run the next time the display goes to sleep.

LG oleds have done this for years. its pretty much regular maintenance for the panel.

Caporegime
the panel refresh wants to run after every 4 hours of active display use. it doesnt have to run on the dot at 4 hours, but after the 4 hour period it will run the next time the display goes to sleep.

LG oleds have done this for years. its pretty much regular maintenance for the panel.

Yup I let the lg oled tv do it and it's easier as once I am done with it, I would always turn it off but for my pc monitor, I never turned them off by the power button :p always just powered off the pc and let the monitors go in standby or whatever but starting to think I might start turning the monitor off as obviously want to make sure panel refresh runs properly.

Soldato
Yup I let the lg oled tv do it and it's easier as once I am done with it, I would always turn it off but for my pc monitor, I never turned them off by the power button :p always just powered off the pc and let the monitors go in standby or whatever but starting to think I might start turning the monitor off as obviously want to make sure panel refresh runs properly.

You have a play with clear type settings at all?

Permabanned

Is it not pixel refresh ?? Was sure panel refresh starts after 1500 hours.

Man of Honour
:D So Gsync / Freesync all working now for me.

Thanks to @muhkuh for explaining how to bringup the monitors built in refresh counter.

So i have Freesync enabled here in radeon settings (Satisfactory is the game)
20220327_162821.jpg

Then i just dynamically disabled Freesync in the radeon settings overlay and it seamlessly transitioned to fixed refresh, which is quite nice.
20220327_163051.jpg

TBH, i could tell little difference between the two at this ingame framerate. But i have left freesync enabled for now anyway.

This is my first VRR monitor by the way. :cool:
Does freesync work over Displayport only or also over HDMI?

Man of Honour
Freesync and vrr are almost the same thing, with different names, so yeah it'll work over HDMI

Not necessarily as this is using a Native NVIDIA Gsync module and while Gsync will work fine over both DP and HDMI, I’ve yet to see a screen where FS works over HDMI. it’s only within the last few years that NVIDIA enabled firmware support over DP from Freesync cards too

Back
Top Bottom