World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Well the replacement has now shipped, delivery is tomorrow. I just had service updates via email with a link to check status. I swear if the replacement has scratches or even if the box is looking worse for wear then I will either decline the delivery or get them to collect the replacement and keep cycling that until I get a perfect one inside and out.

First impressions..

There is definitely an element of black smearing. Watching the lg trailers, the black bars and the black on the video should fade into each other but they don't. Colours are good though.

Actually the black smearing is pretty terrible...

Do you have a link to the LG video link you tested with? There are some SDR contents that simply aren't up to scratch in terms of upload quality and will show themselves up on displays like this. I've watched a lot of SDR and HDR stuff now and there is no black smearing etc to note in those, but some SDR stuff like even youtube LG demos that do - Putting the mode into Creator and sRGB then gamma 2.4 has solved those issues though. By default in standard mode it is 2.2 gamma which by the looks of things bumps up the dark tones which results in what appears to be black smearing.

The best mode for optimum picture quality and experience is as mentioned above.

Associate
Well the replacement has now shipped, delivery is tomorrow. I just had service updates via email with a link to check status. I swear if the replacement has scratches or even if the box is looking worse for wear then I will either decline the delivery or get them to collect the replacement and keep cycling that until I get a perfect one inside and out.

Do you have a link to the LG video link you tested with? There are some SDR contents that simply aren't up to scratch in terms of upload quality and will show themselves up on displays like this. I've watched a lot of SDR and HDR stuff now and there is no black smearing etc to note in those, but some SDR stuff like even youtube LG demos that do - Putting the mode into Creator and sRGB then gamma 2.4 has solved those issues though. By default in standard mode it is 2.2 gamma which by the looks of things bumps up the dark tones which results in what appears to be black smearing.

Thanks will check

Associate

What kind of scratches do you mean? Do you mean impressions marks along the top and middle? I have that and also a scratch on the bottom bezel.

The problem is they don't use any packaging on the box.

Also have that tinge outline on videos which is the subpixel as some reviewers were mentioning, bit annoying tbh

Soldato
Mine still hasn't been collected from Dell, despite 'shipping' yesterday morning.

If this isn't 100% perfect when it arrives then it will just be a straight return for a refund, I shall not be messing about with replacements.

Soldato
What kind of scratches do you mean? Do you mean impressions marks along the top and middle? I have that and also a scratch on the bottom bezel.

The problem is they don't use any packaging on the box.

Also have that tinge outline on videos which is the subpixel as some reviewers were mentioning, bit annoying tbh

Using the cleartype setup can help clear up the text

Try it with a game, the pixel response makes 60FPS on this look like over 100.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Oh mine has no scratches, it's the marks on the top edge of the panel front and the sides where that bubble sheet is stuck on for transit. It presses against the panel inside the box and marks the panel. You cannot feel those marks under your fingernail so it's definitely just stubborn marks but I'm not going to start scrubbing away at them and potentially damage the AR coating.

The box inside is all cardboard as opposed to styrofoam etc though so that's probably why, as those hard cardboard panels press up against the panel and the bubble sheet rubs against the screen. Not a well thought out solution really and likely a way to save costs on not having to use styrofoam which is a bit crazy considering styro is the best material to use on stuff like this.

Associate
Oh mine has no scratches, it's the marks on the top edge of the panel front and the sides where that bubble sheet is stuck on for transit. It presses against the panel inside the box and marks the panel. You cannot feel those marks under your fingernail so it's definitely just stubborn marks but I'm not going to start scrubbing away at them and potentially damage the AR coating.

The box inside is all cardboard as opposed to styrofoam etc though so that's probably why, as those hard cardboard panels press up against the panel and the bubble sheet rubs against the screen. Not a well thought out solution really and likely a way to save costs on not having to use styrofoam which is a bit crazy considering styro is the best material to use on stuff like this.

Yep I thought exactly the same. Stupid stupid design.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
It seems to be all down to the way Dell package them in hard cardboard rather than actually protective foam. And then UPS chucking them about in the vans!

That black crush can also be due to the quality of the encode and bitrate.

Near black detail is often the first thing destroyed by the majority of lossy codecs.

Easiest way to test it is to use the monitor tests like the gradient test on here https://www.eizo.be/monitor-test/

Yup, it's like buying high quality headphones and then suddenly your fave music files sound like crap because they highlight the shortfalls of the quality of the encoded file (or streaming service).

On an LCD this wasn't an issue because the purity of colours and blacks was masked by the nature of an LED backlit LCD. Now we have blacks as black as can be, so compression in content will show artefacts on those files and services that don't use a good quality encode. Lossless itself is fine, it's just how it's done and with what codec that makes the difference.

Associate
Just placed my order, £100 Amex tracked but not due to be delievered until 5th August. Amex Cashback expires end of July, should be fun :D

Caporegime
Division 2 is another good showcase of both hdr/colours and also clarity. Never noticed before the heatwave when wondering around the streets in the sunny weather.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Mine just turned up… WTF… Still says on the way UPS website and not showing out for delivery. Lol.

Box looks in good condition too, certainly no water marks :D

Back
Top Bottom