World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

Associate
When I asked for compensation because i got told to cancel my original order to apply discounts and my new order got delayed I got told there was nothing they can do.

Edit: How did you both contact dell, was it through live chat or a ticket made from the order page?

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah nothing on the live chat. Funny enough they gave the same copy-pasted response from march 23 and the same person that replied to me from march. Feels like live chat is manned by bots.

Associate
My original request was done through the ticket system you get to through your order, and that rep just kept copy pasting answers. Very frustrating.

Dunno if it's just luck that people are getting more helpful reps or what.

Associate
Hmm it could well be, not too sure, I do have two browser windows open side by side so could be that although they are a little off centre in the middle though. It definitely was not there few days ago as I have been checking colour screens when testing out 8bit, 10bit etc etc. Unless it is indeed a fault that has developed with my screen maybe? It is smack in the middle of the screen, like if I touch the jog dial button and line my finger, it is exactly inline with that, so exactly the middle which doesn't make sense if it was image retention although I am tempted to do a panel refresh now as have finished my work just to be sure.

Good thing a replacement is coming today then I guess either way :p
Please do a panel refresh if you can. I am interested to see if this feature will eliminate/reduce this issue. Not a great launch by Dell, issues with monitors, delays and huge amount of backorders (till August). `

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I've been busy this afternoon!

Good news to share, too.

1: The replacement monitor came in a cleaner box (the little things eh...).

2: The replacement is manufactured in Feb 2022, my original one with the marks is January 2022.

3: The replacement has no marks at all! Although it came in the same retail packaging.

4: The fan on the replacement is the same noise as my original, so I can assume that all of them are the same for noise, although I am guessing many of you have slightly noisier ambient environments than what I do around my workstation. My PC is quieter than my laptop for reference and the monitor fan when it's been on a while is definitely an audible hum, which in its normal running temp mode is slightly louder than within the first 30-60 mins of turning it on in the morning for example.

5:
Please do a panel refresh if you can. I am interested to see if this feature will eliminate/reduce this issue. Not a great launch by Dell, issues with monitors, delays and huge amount of backorders (till August). `

I did a panel refresh on the original whilst I went away and did some laundry and chores whilst waiting for UPS to turn up with the replacement.. Came back to find the line (quoted below from earlier) gone. So any image retention or lines you guys see on yours, do a panel refresh :cool:

Before:
I am only really noticing a line/impression line down the middle (like exactly the middle) of the screen and only on certain greys it looks like. This is new as could swear it was not something I noticed in the first few days as ran through my colour palette PNGs when I first got the screen to check uniformity etc.

ORjEBNL.jpg

I believe this is the sort of thing that is adjusted for during "pixel shift" and also panel refresh. I have not yet done a panel refresh though as it takes an hour.

After:
imageretention_after-panelrefresh.jpg

(the wave lines you see are just artefacts a digital camera pics up due to the off-sync from the camera refresh rate and the screen refresh rate so ignore that)

6: The factory calibration between new (left) and old (right) is quite interesting. Seems the replacement is a bit tighter still:

calibration-factory_old-new_1.jpg

calibration-factory_old-new_2.jpg

7: I kinda forgot before but I remember now why I switched back to 144Hz, in a specific scenario that I can reproduce any time, I notice flicker when 175Hz is used. In Photoshop if I open one of my black and white photos (remember the PS background canvas is dark grey), and then zoom in and out of the image, I will see flickering in the grey areas around the whole screen. If I switch to 144Hz, the flicker is completely gone doing the same thing. So looks like I can notice this after all and it's only at 175Hz, so I have opted for 144Hz and as 10 bit is available, just kept it at 10 bit because may as well. This is reproducible on both old and replacement so is definitely a vrr/refresh rate flicker as mentioned by many
around the web.

Other than that, perfectly happy!

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Had more time to play about with the monitor. The more I use it the more impressed I am. Tried Resident Evil Village on it and it actually looked much better than I remember when I played it on release on my 4K monitor. HDR really makes such a big difference, especially when done right :)

Last edited:
Associate
I've been busy this afternoon!

Good news to share, too.

1: The replacement monitor came in a cleaner box (the little things eh...).

2: The replacement is manufactured in Feb 2022, my original one with the marks is January 2022.

3: The replacement has no marks at all! Although it came in the same retail packaging.

4: The fan on the replacement is the same noise as my original, so I can assume that all of them are the same for noise, although I am guessing many of you have slightly noisier ambient environments than what I do around my workstation. My PC is quieter than my laptop for reference and the monitor fan when it's been on a while is definitely an audible hum, which in its normal running temp mode is slightly louder than within the first 30-60 mins of turning it on in the morning for example.

5:

I did a panel refresh on the original whilst I went away and did some laundry and chores whilst waiting for UPS to turn up with the replacement.. Came back to find the line (quoted below from earlier) gone. So any image retention or lines you guys see on yours, do a panel refresh :cool:

Before:

After:
imageretention_after-panelrefresh.jpg

(the wave lines you see are just artefacts a digital camera pics up due to the off-sync from the camera refresh rate and the screen refresh rate so ignore that)

6: The factory calibration between new (left) and old (right) is quite interesting. Seems the replacement is a bit tighter still:

calibration-factory_old-new_1.jpg

calibration-factory_old-new_2.jpg

7: I kinda forgot before but I remember now why I switched back to 144Hz, in a specific scenario that I can reproduce any time, I notice flicker when 175Hz is used. In Photoshop if I open one of my black and white photos (remember the PS background canvas is dark grey), and then zoom in and out of the image, I will see flickering in the grey areas around the whole screen. If I switch to 144Hz, the flicker is completely gone doing the same thing. So looks like I can notice this after all and it's only at 175Hz, so I have opted for 144Hz and as 10 bit is available, just kept it at 10 bit because may as well. This is reproducible on both old and replacement so is definitely a vrr/refresh rate flicker as mentioned by many
around the web.

Other than that, perfectly happy!

I'm not sure that will be be the vrr flicker I describe:D that is only produced by varied framerate. So hopefully what you describe is something that can be ironed out

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Ah perhaps, although GPU acceleration is enabled for Photoshop and other Adobe apps via OpenCL, so it is using 3D in those instances inc app canvas.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Cheers! Also didn't realise this but touching the bottom bezel out the box discovered it's actually metal (a magnet sticks to it). I assumed it was plastic as it looks plastic, and my LGs and Huawei 34" UWAs were all plastic on this bezel strip. Rather nice. Might get some nerdy fridge magnets for decoration :p

Associate
Well canceled my Dell monitor 30th March order yesterday and reordered today to earn triple Dell reward points which started on the 1 April was not missing out on £90 got buggar all else from Dell lol.

Could get £90 off Alienware RGB mechanical gaming keyboard or Dell monitor arm MSA20.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I have gone back to 144hz anyway, there is very few games I can get more than 100 fps, let alone locked to 144 with a 3080 at this res. so bit pointless using 175hz mode, maybe if/when a gpu can provide that, I'll go with 175hz then.....

Noticing with the extra clarity from no matte finish little things that are annoying me in games now like dying light 2, the rain drops/steam on my screen :cry:

This has to be one of my favourite scenes in cp 2077, regardless of oled, just the setting, the lighting, the character and the tone set, looks absolutely gorgeous with the hdr, looks a bit low res. as I'm using dlls perf. for the max RT goodness:

3oGLyxH.jpg

t11vQq3.jpg

Borderlands 3 HDR looks glorious:

oQ8Rh07.jpg

2SRVvRo.jpg

Caporegime
I need to branch out my HDR Gaming adventures it would seem :p

Defo! :cry:

Battlefront 2, god of war, bl 3, division 2, ghostwire toyko, guardians of the galaxy, doom eternal, riftbreaker are probably the best ones I've tried so far. Horizon zero dawn is very good too back from when I played it on my e7, not tried it out on this yet though....

EDIT:

Just remembered mass effect andromeda, it's hdr is fantastic and also dolby vision, anyone tried it out yet to see how DV looks?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
@mrk

What fan setup are you using? Fans? Fan curve? etc. Would love for my pc to be silent.

pc_RTX3080Ti_sideangle_2021.12.18_1404-06_00004.jpg

All Arctic PWM PST fans, the AIO fans serve as the intake too, pulling cold air through the rad.

pc_12thgenbuild_temps.jpg

In terms of fan speeds, I've got it set up in the BIOS to step up gradually as the CPU temp reaches 60 degrees. At 80 degrees it is ramped up to around 75% if I recall for all case fans inc the AIO. All other times the fans are running at a flat 24% or so which equates to the above RPMs.

Back
Top Bottom