World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

Soldato
Oh I didn't he was on here. @PCM2 only question from the video, why are you using P3 for SDR? I run sdr/sRGB for normal, use win+alt+b for hdr and that switches to HDR1000 and auto flips the colorspace to P3. win+alt+b when done and it auto flips to sdr + sRGB

This is explained in the calibration section of the written review. Well worth reading the written review as well as just watching the video - a lot more technical detail there. It is primarily because I like to explore the full capabilities of the monitor with the native gamut, whilst separately exploring how it performs with sRGB emulation. It is personal preference as to which experience a user prefers.

L_D

L_D

Associate
Mine arrived yesterday. No dead pixels thankfully. Fan noise isn't too bad.
The image shift by a few pixels every now and then is a bit annoying. Surely that's not going to help much anyway given that most pixels will be the same as they were before the image moved.

Associate
Is QD-OLED expected to find its way into more monitors soon? Would be nice to see other screen sizes and resolutions.

Not really. Just a 49inch next year along with the current 34. Samsung owns the tech so others can't make QD OLED without buying the panels off them.

This year: 34, 55, 65
Next year: 34, 49, 55, 65, 77

Man of Honour
Soldato
there's also Samsung's own equivalent to the Dell planned, believed to be with adaptive-sync as opposed to the G-sync module:

That sounds more interesting. I have seen comments about the screen coating, anyone notice it. It would also be nice if they offered it in full 4K resolution too.

Associate
Two weeks in and I've decided to keep this one.

I would still swap to an imaginary model without the fans, but there's no knowing when that will be, and this one is just too good not to use in the meantime.

I've mostly been playing No Man's Sky which seems to have decent HDR, and Star Citizen, which does benefit nicely from the contrast.

Soldato
That is a shame if true. Not everyone wants ultra wide or to be sat two foot from a TV!
What are you expecting? It's Samsung.
If even LG can't figure out that there's no doubt plenty of enthusiast who would jump on gaming capable 32" 4K OLED monitor there's less hope of Samsung understanding that.

Soldato
What are you expecting? It's Samsung.
If even LG can't figure out that there's no doubt plenty of enthusiast who would jump on gaming capable 32" 4K OLED monitor there's less hope of Samsung understanding that.
It makes you wonder who is doing their market research. The other alternative is it's just not economical to produce that particular combination.

Soldato
It makes you wonder who is doing their market research. The other alternative is it's just not economical to produce that particular combination.
Those market researches propably belong to those whose result is determined before hand to fit political religious agendas, personal obsessions/pet project of some boss etc.

Though use of non-standard subpixel layout with one subpixel kicked to own line makes me think there might be issue in making those quantum dot patches of "filter" (really converter) small enough.
Or maybe that less than optimal for PC use subpixel layout was also decided by those same deciding market research results.

Soldato
Those market researches propably belong to those whose result is determined before hand to fit political religious agendas, personal obsessions/pet project of some boss etc.

Though use of non-standard subpixel layout with one subpixel kicked to own line makes me think there might be issue in making those quantum dot patches of "filter" (really converter) small enough.
Or maybe that less than optimal for PC use subpixel layout was also decided by those same deciding market research results.
Both sound plausible. I like the monitor but UW support puts me off a bit as not all games work well with it. It's "cheap" compared with a lot of high end monitors but is still enough that you would want to be sure that it was right. I think I'll wait to see what other variations appear, I've got other things to buy first anyway like a GPU that can actually play games!

Soldato
Some new games still don't have proper support either, elden ring and tales of arise being a couple.
I'm surprised at Elden ring being so new and a big title. I suppose it doesn't matter too much, but some research is required, I'd hate to drop £1k and find my favourite game doesn't support it :cry: It's like cinema, no consistency in the format. Ideally this have a monitor for every occasion but those numbers haven't come in just yet! If I was buying right now though I don't see a better choice than this Alienware for gaming.

Back
Top Bottom