World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

Soldato
Yep, that's my only gripe with it. Going from the AW3821 to this... I didn't think I'd really notice the size drop (I didn't notice much going up from the X34 to the AW38) - but man... I really do notice how much smaller it is :(
This was the monitor I was going to upgrade to before I learned of the OLED. (I was using an AW3418DW)

Associate
I currently have the 38 inch AW3821DW and ordered the AW3423DW a few days ago. I was hoping I wouldn't notice the size difference too much.

Such a long wait though... ETA Nov 02

Associate
It is all dependent to where you live. Apparently Australia/ New Zealand get the monitor in around a week after ordering.

Edit - I ordered June 13th with a expected delivery of October 19th in the UK.

Soldato
Love it too. I just wished it was a higher resolution is all. In no rush to change :D
That's my only gripe with it and why I'd prefer to hold out for a 38"+ version. I currently have a 34" (3440x1440) ultrawide and I wish it had a slightly higer horizonal resolution. When using apps in split screen they're only 1720 wide and many apps/websites are designed to fit on a 1920 pixel width as a baseline. This means they can often end up being cropped. A 38" (3840+ wide) monitor would be perfect for getting around this problem.

Reactions: TNA
Soldato
OP
Is there a correlation between the amount of posts someone has on this forum and their negative opinion of this monitor? :D

Probably not but there is a correlation between posts and product opinion and it's a universal rule of thumb - when people don't like a product for any reason, they are more likely to post online about it

Soldato
OP
It is all dependent to where you live. Apparently Australia/ New Zealand get the monitor in around a week after ordering.

Edit - I ordered June 13th with a expected delivery of October 19th in the UK.

In Australia if your order now it says you're getting it in November

But yes, and I did mention it here, when the monitor launched the dell website was showing the monitor as in stock (not a pre order, actually in stock ready to ship) for about a week or two and then people outside Australia caught on and started ordering from the Dell Australian website so the stock got depleted

Soldato
Dell support are claiming they'll be sending me a replacement in a few days before collecting the old one (not sure why, it's a paperweight). I'm not sure how true that will be. Unfortunately I don't see to be able to check as the support ticket isn't linked to my account.
In case this is useful to anyone thinking of buying, Dell have now told me the AW3423DW is no longer available and offered me an AW3821DW (LCD with local dimming) instead. I've said no and questioned why they're saying the monitor is not available if they're still selling it on their site. I'm extremely frustrated as they're sending monitors out to people who have not yet paid but are really shafting the people who have already paid but received a defective item. In my case, it's not that it has some scratches or a dead pixel, it just flat out doesn't work, so they've taken my money but not delivered a product.

Associate
In case this is useful to anyone thinking of buying, Dell have now told me the AW3423DW is no longer available and offered me an AW3821DW (LCD with local dimming) instead. I've said no and questioned why they're saying the monitor is not available if they're still selling it on their site. I'm extremely frustrated as they're sending monitors out to people who have not yet paid but are really shafting the people who have already paid but received a defective item. In my case, it's not that it has some scratches or a dead pixel, it just flat out doesn't work, so they've taken my money but not delivered a product.
That is kind of crappy of them. I had issues with Dell. I sent back a monitor with very high BLB which even the CS agent said was quite bad. They agreed to send a replacement and collect the bad one. Then 24 hours later they cancelled the replacement and said they can’t send out a replacement and would issue a refund after I sent it back. I then went and bought a LG monitor instead.

If there is issues with my AW3423DW and they pull that crap I will just never use Dell again.

Soldato
OP

Has dell cancelled the aw3423dw?

I wonder why; major flaw?

It sound like they should stop taking orders until they 1) fix the problems or 2) can catch up with productionn

Soldato
They've got 3 months of manufacturing backlog, I'm assuming they have allocation for that. This means they're prioritising customers who have not yet paid over customers who have paid but have not received a monitor (a screen that does not respond to input is not a monitor). This may be business savvy, but it's a sure fire way to further trash your reputation. Maybe I should try to contact the head of Alienware.

Associate
If you need a monitor now then I wouldn't instantly dismiss the AW3821DW. Still a great screen and a very decent deal if you paid £800 for the OLED.

Soldato
If you need a monitor now then I wouldn't instantly dismiss the AW3821DW. Still a great screen and a very decent deal if you paid £800 for the OLED.

Good advice tbh... And having just sold my AW38 last week (so I had both briefly); the IQ between them isn't *that* noticeable in most scenarios, pretty much just those inky blacks are the most obvious difference... and the size. I didn't think I'd miss those 4 inches, but I do :( .... but those inky blacks <3

Soldato
I appreciate where you're coming from, but ordinarily I wouldn't touch Dell with a barge pole. This monitor is the sole exception because they basically have a monopoly on QD-OLED monitors right now. Their current behaviour, where they're lying through their teeth to me on my support ticket, is rather hardening my opinion on never touching anything Dell ever again. If it comes to it, I'll just have to get my money back, they can come and pick up their large paperweight and I'll wait for the market to mature.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Good advice tbh... And having just sold my AW38 last week (so I had both briefly); the IQ between them isn't *that* noticeable in most scenarios, pretty much just those inky blacks are the most obvious difference... and the size. I didn't think I'd miss those 4 inches, but I do :( .... but those inky blacks <3

That’s what she said? :cry:

Soldato
New development on my monitor replacement: Dell have called me and insisted they cannot replace the monitor. They said that it's because sales channels and support channels get different inventory pools. That's probably the first time they've been honest with me. I expressed my frustration that they are sending out new monitors to people who were behind me in the queue and have not yet paid yet are refusing to replace my monitor, plus at least some of those new customers will get broken monitors and those won't be able to be replaced either.

Long story short, I got a broken monitor and am now getting a refund because Dell prioritise new customers. I'd be very cautious trying to buy this monitor now. If you get a dud, you're not getting it replaced.

Back
Top Bottom