World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

Soldato
oh dear, seems like they are really struggling with the logistics around these at the moment! Waiting for them to collect my replacement now, have been told "You will be contacted by our collection team once they are ready to collect the monitor". It's not exactly a small box and is basically sitting in the middle of our hallway at the moment (nowhere else to realistically put it), so I hope they don't take too long! At what point can I start charging them for storage? :p

You could probably sell your dead one for a few £ to be honest if you have it in writing that you can keep it. I'm sure there would be someone out there who is handy with a soldering iron that would be willing to take a punt on repairing it.

have they contacted you about giving the old one back? not contacted me yet, using this time to test out both.

Soldato
You lot have the patience of a saint I swear. When I decide I want something my brain goes in to overdrive to get it as quick as possible even if it means driving 100+ miles to pick one up somewhere. Hopefully see some more happy stories rather than issues!

Also can someone confirm if I'm being autistic here. Title says "from Dell and Samsung" does that mean collaboration or are Samsung going to release a monitor with the same panel as well? That would explain why I couldn't find anything about a Samsung QD-OLED. @mrk confused me with the warranty comment.

It's a Samsung panel in the Dell display. Apparently Samsung will be making a monitor using the same panel later on if not soon.

Soldato
have they contacted you about giving the old one back? not contacted me yet, using this time to test out both.

They wanted to collect the original one back in June, and I told them they weren't getting it until I had the new one. I've replied to both that email and on the support ticket asking them to collect, but the only response so far is "we'll be in touch".

I just hope they don't try to charge me for the replacement!

Associate
Even with Eco Mode on it sometimes still seems to track standby time, which is kind of weird. Over the past week or two I've had the "pixel refresh" pop up even though it hadn't been on the 20 hours required for it to show - it would have been 20 hours if I counted standby hours though. I had noticed the fan didn't seem like it was going off either like it should. I powered it fully off at the wall for a bit and am hoping that'll stop it from doing this weird bug otherwise I guess I can try a factory reset.

Soldato
I thought mini pixel refresh was more like 4 hours power on time.

Regarding the fan noise, I think the ambient temps are the current culprit, my old screen where I didn't previously really notice fan noise on it, I can hear the same sort of fan noise on it that I get on the new one.

I guess the fan is having to just keep working due to ambient temps being fairly high today (around 25C if not higher in the office room today).

Associate
I thought mini pixel refresh was more like 4 hours power on time.

Regarding the fan noise, I think the ambient temps are the current culprit, my old screen where I didn't previously really notice fan noise on it, I can hear the same sort of fan noise on it that I get on the new one.

I guess the fan is having to just keep working due to ambient temps being fairly high today (around 25C if not higher in the office room today).
That's the timer for the first pop up yeah but If you leave your screen on 20 hours without doing a refresh it'll come up with a window in the middle of your screen telling you the monitor needs a pixel refresh basically. It's a different window to the one which you get at 4 hours. Even if you told it to not warn you on the 4 hour warning at some point the 20 hour warning will still pop up if you hit the 20 hour timer. Now that wouldn't be an issue for most people since it's unlikely someone would actually have their monitor on for 20 hours straight, but apparently due to stand by being buggy and some times tracking time even when it's off you can sometimes get it even though your screen hasn't been on that long.

Potentially something that might be fixed on newer firmwares but well, not like we can update that ourselves, lol.

As for the fan, I've always thought it was ambient temperature as well. I've noticed it's generally louder when the room feels hotter.

Associate
Dell offered to take 10% off or organise an exchange. I'm going for the exchange but it seems a lot of these screens suffer from this issue so if the second one isn't great, I won't try again!
Received my replacement today. Same issue - scuffed marks on the screen but they aren't visible in normal use and can only be seen from a low angle. I would be willing to keep this but now I've encountered a new issue - the screen keeps flickering...

It happens in normal desktop use and in game (I've only tried AC Syndicate so far and will try God of War now. I wasn't getting any sort of flickering with the original monitor.

Edit: Happens in God of War (HDR) as well so I'll be returning this. I've tried changing cables even though the old ones worked perfectly with the original monitor. How frustrating...

Last edited:
Soldato
Received my replacement today. Same issue - scuffed marks on the screen but they aren't visible in normal use and can only be seen from a low angle. I would be willing to keep this but now I've encountered a new issue - the screen keeps flickering...

It happens in normal desktop use and in game (I've only tried AC Syndicate so far and will try God of War now. I wasn't getting any sort of flickering with the original monitor.

Edit: Happens in God of War (HDR) as well so I'll be returning this. I've tried changing cables even though the old ones worked perfectly with the original monitor. How frustrating...
Good luck :S I was only offered a refund after my first replacement also turned up faulty :(

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
You guys make me feel lucky I got one I am happy with on the first go. Hopefully I don’t need a replacement any time soon. But if I do in a couple of years and they offer me a refund, might just take them up on that :p

Soldato
Mate ordered one and it's been dispatched the next day?!

To weigh in on the fan noise debate: I have noticed sometimes when using my work laptop (HDMI/SDR) the fan will start a "breathing" cycle where is ramps up to a pretty loud speed and then back down again for maybe a few seconds each. I first thought it was maybe because it was displaying a lot of white (old legacy systems with no dark mode) but I've never had this behaviour on my desktop using DP/HDR and I do a lot of Amazon browsing which is displaying a lot of white and at a higher brightness than I run when working. I reckon it is probably a rare bug but might do some more testing. Still it is a normal blowing noise with no ticking or buzzing.

I have really been enjoying this monitor with Ghost Recon Breakpoint running in HDR, when it is night and with the "darkest night" setting the dark scenery is perfectly rendered (the darks are so dim and detailed) and the bright lights are dazzling.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
So screen burn then! Mine appears to have some screen burn but only over the yellow desktop icons that were always visible. As noted before, I do the pixel refreshes etc and had my 2nd panel refresh recently too. I only noticed this in the last week, and a new panel refresh didn't sort it so it def appears to be persistent retention or screen burn, but only where the yellow desktop icons sat:

screenburn_.jpeg

Ignore the colour/artefacting etc, it's just a grey image to highlight the burn area more effectively. You can see the 3 corner shadows where the desktop icons would normally sit: I also have two browser windows open at all times pretty much. My other settings are black sreen screensaver after 5mins no activity, monitor goes to standby mode after 30 mins no activity, and I manually power off the monitor with the button if I am stepping away for any longer than that so it is used in a reasonable manner or does a pixel refresh regardless on those 4hr intervals really even if I miss a few in any given day.

screenburn_desktop.jpg

Dell service request raised and they have accepted replacing the monitor. I have sent them the requested photo of the back etc and am awaiting shipment confirmation details in 24/48 hours.

This 3yr burn in warranty may well be put to good use after all.... I wonder how much the firmware affects this sort of thing as mine is one of the originals on MB101 firmware.

Associate
Good luck :S I was only offered a refund after my first replacement also turned up faulty :(
I was able to replicate and video record the issue in multiple instances, including in a self-diagnostic test whilst on a call with Dell so they're going to send me another replacement. I have to send the first one back though so it's going to be collected tomorrow. They said they'll send a replacement once the original one is received.

Caporegime
So screen burn then! Mine appears to have some screen burn but only over the yellow desktop icons that were always visible. As noted before, I do the pixel refreshes etc and had my 2nd panel refresh recently too. I only noticed this in the last week, and a new panel refresh didn't sort it so it def appears to be persistent retention or screen burn, but only where the yellow desktop icons sat:

screenburn_.jpeg

Ignore the colour/artefacting etc, it's just a grey image to highlight the burn area more effectively. You can see the 3 corner shadows where the desktop icons would normally sit: I also have two browser windows open at all times pretty much. My other settings are black sreen screensaver after 5mins no activity, monitor goes to standby mode after 30 mins no activity, and I manually power off the monitor with the button if I am stepping away for any longer than that so it is used in a reasonable manner or does a pixel refresh regardless on those 4hr intervals really even if I miss a few in any given day.

screenburn_desktop.jpg

Dell service request raised and they have accepted replacing the monitor. I have sent them the requested photo of the back etc and am awaiting shipment confirmation details in 24/48 hours.

This 3yr burn in warranty may well be put to good use after all.... I wonder how much the firmware affects this sort of thing as mine is one of the originals on MB101 firmware.

Ooooof, good thing that we have got 3 year warranty after all then!

Still nothing on mine but I don't have any desktop icons and my wallpaper changes every 5 minutes, only thing that would be static is the taskbar and tray on bottom right.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Auto hiding taskbar is a good shout, although I see no burn where the taskbar icons and tray icons are, it's just those yellow folder icons on the desktop. Normally my desktop is empty but if I have wedding photos I am exporting etc, then they can remain there for weeks on end until I am done with the production.

Guess I need to rethink things going forwards even for QD-OLED until they really nail down screen burn and it's no longer even an issue.

I've now also pinned recycle bin to file explorer on the taskbar and hidden the desktop icon.

Back
Top Bottom