World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

Associate
Unfortunate to see burn in already. Considering how much I use mine (12 hours a day some times due to WFH) I guess I'll be expecting some at some point. I already did measures to try and prevent it when I first got my screen, like hiding the task bar and setting a rotating background image, 5min black screensaver etc. I've had my desktop icons hidden for years too anyway. It might help that while I do have multiple windows open at a time for multi-tasking, they're often never in the same position, but we'll see.
Surely a TV OLED would be even worse for burn in being used as a monitor. How are C1s fairing so far?
Linus made a video on it not that long back and he did get some retention. Think he managed to get rid of it by doing a few panel refreshes. The video also referenced level1techs too, the guy there mentioned he'd experienced it too.

I'm actually surprised Dell didn't tell you to do a number of panel refreshes to see if it goes, that's usually the go to response that LG send to people.

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I did the panel refresh the other day and also one yesterday evening after discovering the screen burn yesterday. The burn didn't really subside even a small bit so I suspect this could well be colour specific (yellow folder icons) as there appears to be no other issue anywhere else on the screen other than this area only where the yellow icons sat for weeks.

Ah well, new one with latest firmware soon I guess :p

Associate
I did the panel refresh the other day and also one yesterday evening after discovering the screen burn yesterday. The burn didn't really subside even a small bit so I suspect this could well be colour specific (yellow folder icons) as there appears to be no other issue anywhere else on the screen other than this area only where the yellow icons sat for weeks.

Ah well, new one with latest firmware soon I guess :p
Potentially, yeah. I know LG OLEDS were always susceptible to red in particular. Which isn't great if you're someone who really likes watching news channels lol.

The rtings burn-in test they did a few fears back suggested around 3000 hours was how long it generally took for red stuff to burn in from what I remember, maybe a bit sooner. Though that could have improved on more recent panels. Rtings are meant to be doing a new one soon, that'll be interesting to see.

Associate
Not bothered one bit. We have the warranty and I will probably shift mine once warranty is running low and get a 4K version which should be out by then :)
Just a slight annoyance having to replace it every now and then if it happens. ^^

Reactions: TNA
Associate
My Aw arrived 01/08, so had a little time to test it out.

Lets start by saying a really really like it, and wouldn't swap it for any other modern gaming monitor out now. Really nice to be playing competitive fps with this pq and blacks. I never been able to use my larger OLED for competitive fps as I like to be very near the screen.
Box arrived in good condition, but I did have the marks on the screen. I have been able to get rid of all of them with some water, microfibre and a little more elbow grease than I was comfortable with.

My very first impression of the monitor when booting into the desktop was kind of surprising. I thought I would initially view it as a horizontally stretched 16:9, but it actually felt like a 16:9 4k screen with the top cut off :D This will be due to using a larger 4k screen more than my monitors over the last few years. After some games though, I am currently really enjoying this aspect ratio.

The extra 55hz over my LG C9 is really nice for my competitive fps :)

PQ is great and screen uniformity has no visible banding or dark patches to my eye. The C9 didn't have banding, but does have a slight darker patch in the top left corner. Invisible 99% of the time. Please note it is very slight and much better than previous generation OLEDS i've owned.

Fringing is obvious to me and I still see it after 10 days. Not a problem, as this screen is used primarily for gaming and its an easy sacrifice for the opportunity to own an OLED monitor (I haven't played with changing it yet as i'm still in gaming heaven). Inky blacks :)

The blacks raise with lighting. I can see it at night albeit slight, with 2 small lights set at 25% on a dimmer. I cant read comfortably, but is bright enough that the black is already raising. The C9 still looks black in the same conditions.
I can live with this as I turn off the lights and black out the windows for gaming. But I can definitely see others having a different opinion of the screen if they happen to use their monitor in a well lit room, or day time with curtains open. That's when the black advantage disappears.

As I use the vrr setting, and sensitive to raised near black, I set the screen to 175 8bit over 144 10bit as anything lower than 175 raises the near black slightly. Getting more obvious the lower you set refresh.

Great screen, brought excitement back for my FPS games :D If you game in a dark room, have a current GPU and are looking at this but holding back because of the new GPU's coming. If you have to choose, give the AW a try. The jump in PQ imo will be bigger than a few gfx setting changing from high to ultra :D

Soldato
Pretty amazed that people are happy paying £1k+ for a monitor that needs replacing every few months.

Don't get me wrong, I love an OLED and have a 55CX downstairs, but there's absolutely no chance in hell I'm buying a monitor that needs binning every few months. Looks like they have some serious issues to resolve before the technology is ready for extended desktop usage.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
It's a bit of faff for having the best picture quality for contrast and HDR for gaming and media with the highest overall gaming performance (refresh, gsync) currently tbh. And out of box colour accuracy to boot.

Soldato
Pretty amazed that people are happy paying £1k+ for a monitor that needs replacing every few months.

Don't get me wrong, I love an OLED and have a 55CX downstairs, but there's absolutely no chance in hell I'm buying a monitor that needs binning every few months. Looks like they have some serious issues to resolve before the technology is ready for extended desktop usage.

Depends on your usage really - while it's disappointing that the QD-OLED tech is still susceptible to burn-in, it's also well known that OLED in general isn't suitable for displaying bright static images. I've had mine for 4 months while WFH, and so far showing no issues (touch wood!). If using it purely for gaming, unless you are spending hours every day for months playing the same game with static elements (e.g. I guess some MMOs could cause an issue), then I'd hazard a guess the risk of burn-in is very slim!

There's also the fact that since the warranty covers it, there's no risk to you as the user, other than a slight inconvenience having to swap it out.

I guess it depends on priorities; best possible PQ with the potential for a bit of inconvenience occasionally, or a nice safe LCD screen with poor blacks/contrast/smearing? :p

Caporegime
TBF, mrk is the first person I've seen who has experienced this so could be panel variance again for this kind of thing, same way my LG e7 is still burn free yet you have some who say they have burn in with similar usage to mine. Imagine if it is something that will be common, we will be seeing more reports of this over the coming month or 2....

Soldato
There's also the fact that since the warranty covers it, there's no risk to you as the user, other than a slight inconvenience having to swap it out.
It's a bit of faff for having the best picture quality for contrast and HDR for gaming and media with the highest overall gaming performance (refresh, gsync) currently tbh. And out of box colour accuracy to boot.
Call me old-fashioned, but if I pay a grand for a bit of kit, it bloody well better last more than a few months.

Also, call me a bleeding-heart hippy ******* :D, but having a giant slab of electronics and plastic that last a few months before it goes to landfill is absolutely obscene from an environmental perspective.

I'll be saving my money until the technology is actually fit for purpose.

Soldato
Call me old-fashioned, but if I pay a grand for a bit of kit, it bloody well better last more than a few months.

Also, call me a bleeding-heart hippy ******* :D, but having a giant slab of electronics and plastic that last a few months before it goes to landfill is absolutely obscene from an environmental perspective.

I'll be saving my money until the technology is actually fit for purpose.

Yeah, fair enough, the environmental angle is definitely a consideration.

It depends what you class as "fit for purpose" though. The Alienware brand is aimed at gamers, and while obviously there's nothing to stop you using it for other things, it's not necessarily designed with that in mind. You wouldn't buy a Ferrari and then say it's not fit for purpose because the boot isn't big enough to fit a week's camping gear in :p

Soldato
Yeah, fair enough, the environmental angle is definitely a consideration.

It depends what you class as "fit for purpose" though. The Alienware brand is aimed at gamers, and while obviously there's nothing to stop you using it for other things, it's not necessarily designed with that in mind. You wouldn't buy a Ferrari and then say it's not fit for purpose because the boot isn't big enough to fit a week's camping gear in :p
As much as I hate to argue daft analogies :p If we're going down that route, if I buy a Ferrari, I expect it to not only tear up a race track, but it needs to manage a few trips to the supermarket without the wheels falling off.

The tech's simply not ready yet for monitors apparently, as much as I'd like it to be.

Caporegime

I guess it depends on priorities; best possible PQ with the potential for a bit of inconvenience occasionally, or a nice safe LCD screen with poor blacks/contrast/smearing? :p

Pretty much this.

There isn't a single display that comes close to this (not even in the same ballpark) so I'm willing to have a little faff if needs be.

Aside from the colours/accuracy, you just can't beat the motion clarity of this.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
But that’s why we have 3 years warranty. Just use it and sell it after two or so years if you are concerned. That’s still a nice chunk of time to enjoy the best gaming monitor currently available. Why miss out if it is something you want and have the money? Plus quite a few people have it here and only one guy has had this issue.

Soldato
Like I said, old-fashioned bore here, but when I drop money on expensive kit, I expect it to last, and I give zero ****s about 'missing out' on gaming hardware.

I'm not buying a sub-standard product now, when I can wait for the technology to mature and be made into actual quality hardware.

I know this is a hardware forum, but I don't chuck everything in the bin after a couple of years. I'm certainly not happy with buying something that I'm going to have to try and offload to some mug and replace within 3 years because it has a fundamental design flaw.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom