World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

Associate
I have them with my Calibrite software.

I'd say HDR was on about 70% of the time. I play around 2 hours on Tuesdays and Thursdays, not usually any more than that before I rage quit out of it.

The thing about OLED 'burn in' is that it's more pixel wear that static image burn you'd normally get with a CRT or Plasma, and it is cumulative. For example you could play 4 hours of a game with a static HUD and then watch a full screen video after to 'refresh' the pixels, however the pixels are still being worn quicker where the HUD sits as they are lit more. Watching full screen content won't help that, in fact you're just wearing the pixels more.
Oh I'm aware what OLED burn in is. That's why I asked how much you played it. Was curious since it didn't really seem long enough for a game series considered by people who have done a test for it in the past as "low risk" to cause burn in.

The burn in test rtings did was specifically based on the fact it's pixel wear, they set it up so each of the TVs were set to turn on, run a lot of pre-recorded footage of the TV's chosen content, and then turn off to let the natural pixel refresh run all on set schedules. In terms of the two games they tested, FIFA got burn in within the test time frame which went on for around 100 weeks. The CoD tv however, didn't.

It's curious that this monitor would then get burn in from considerably less play.

Soldato
OP
How many hours have you put into Warzone on the screen if you don't mind my asking and was that with HDR on?

Just curious because CoD WWII was actually one of the tests Rtings used on their burn-in test the other year because they considered it a fairly low risk game for burn in. They didn't get much burn in at all even after 10k hours. I'm not big on CoD but I don't imagine the UI will have changed massively? That said I think they didn't test with HDR on.

You're right it's definitely concerning because burn in tests on LG OLED TVs suggested that game was unlikely to cause problems so to see burn in from that game after a couple months and on QD-OLED is alarming. And then there is mrk who managed to burn in sdr desktop icons which can't exceed 250nits peak. I wonder if it's a design flaw, a combination of brightness too high and pixel/panel overheating due to inadequate cooling

Out of interest, those of you who have burn in, how hot has your room been this summer, do you have air conditioning?

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Same as mine really, room gets hotter if I fire up a game though because the 3080 Ti pumps out heat in the 70-80 degree range quite effectively... :eek:

Soldato
OP
Well, I'm not saying having a hot room is what's caused burn in but I was curious to see if anyone who had a nice cool room had any problem to rule out summer heat. Heat theoretically is a problem for OLED but we just don't have data to show how much impact has - everyone who's done burn in testing, like rtings has done it controlled commercial buildings so we don't know if higher air temperature in real world use makes burn in worse or not.

What we have previously seen is that OLED models which had heat sinks clears up retention problems quicker and is more resilient to developing in the first place.

Soldato
OP
You can see near black steps with 2.4? 2.4/BT.1886 is only for a pitch black room. Even in a dimly lit room with a small lamp most don't go above 2.3 as it crushes the blacks because of the light environment. Your pupils close with more light.

I'll check soon, but what I was trying to do is trying to get the image to look close to my iPhone 13 pro. From what I can see on technical reviews this phone screen is extremely accurate and tried to match its image - what I found is that 2.2 is slightly lighter than the iPhone and 2.4 is slightly darker so I ended up choosing 2.4 instead but I may switch it around depending on content.

As for the black steps, i checked this using the iPhone and found that even in a pitch black room I can't see 1 to 3 and only barely see 4

Soldato
I've been playing the last couple of weeks since receiving the monitor at 30C and I've had the refresh prompt almost every day which I've let run after I turn the PC off. Mix of SDR & HDR gaming. I guess I should show a grey screen and see if anything shows up. Zero chance of icon shadows as I've cleared the desktop with a black background plus a centered image which is always covered by a browser window. I tend to boot, browse for 10-15 mins then play a game for 2-3 hours. Shutdown and just check the monitor has properly gone into sleep or power off if prompted for a refresh.

If I walk away from the PC I always lock which is mostly a habit from secure work practices but it changes the screen image and shortly after goes to a full black screen saver.

Caporegime
I would say heat is a catalyst for burn in as I've seen many people report burn in issues and the sun has been shining on their displays:

Might even be down to UV itself:

Degradation of OLED performance by exposure to UV irradiation

My screen sits right beside a window but would never have sun directly shining on it and if it is, it will only be for a short period of time or/and the monitor will be off.

I checked mine again last night in pitch black with those grey slides and definitely nothing on my end atm, I think mrk had his for a month or 2 longer so if this is going to be a problem, in theory I should see it happening soon, similar usage although I would probably have a lot more hours in gaming than windows based usage.

Last edited:
Soldato
Scumbag scalper by the look of it, I've reported the listing as it also breaches Ebay rules by having contact details in the text.

No way I'd buy one of these from a 3rd party for anywhere near full price - asking for a world of problems if you have any warranty issues!

Soldato
OP
Some peep on the bay is selling these already, it looks like he has a pallet load of them wth is going on ? :eek:

At this stage I'd guess its a scalper. Dell didn't put order limits on the monitor even though supplies couldn't meet demand, so the scalper probably decided to order a bunch and see if he can make a few bucks by re-selling them

Caporegime
At this stage I'd guess its a scalper. Dell didn't put order limits on the monitor even though supplies couldn't meet demand, so the scalper probably decided to order a bunch and see if he can make a few bucks by re-selling them
Bad timing with the stock levels finally starting to catch up to orders :D

Soldato
OP
This new monitor is interesting.

It's what I believe is a reworked LG woled panel that supports 4k 138hz. The part I find interesting is that it's very thick in the back with large vents, Asus says they added the large heat sinks in to prevent burn in, it's also heavy weighing 50% heavier than a 42 inch LG C2

So if Asus believes heat sinks prevents/mitigates burn in, why doesn't the aw34 have a heatsink - early review by hdtvtest already showed that a hdr 10% white window causing temp image retention shadowing on QD-OLED

Asus have also decided to take a pot shot at QD-OLED by saying their text is clearer and doesn't have color fringing

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom