World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

Caporegime
early review by hdtvtest already showed that a hdr 10% white window causing temp image retention shadowing on QD-OLED

I could be wrong but are you sure he wasn't referring to the lg oled? Thought Vincent said he didn't get any temporary retention on the qd-oled compared to what he sees with oled.

Soldato
OP
So the message that pops up for a refresh after 4 hours of use Is highly annoying. How do I disable the message but still have the monitor do the refresh when the monitor is next in standby mode? There is an option on the pop up message to disable the message but I'm worried it also disabled the refresh process?

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
So the message that pops up for a refresh after 4 hours of use Is highly annoying. How do I disable the message but still have the monitor do the refresh when the monitor is next in standby mode? There is an option on the pop up message to disable the message but I'm worried it also disabled the refresh process?

It literally tells you on the popup.. As I recall there is a ignore button.

I have not seen that message in a long time. When I turn off my monitor I see the power button flash green, that’s when I know it is happening.

Soldato
This new monitor is interesting.

It's what I believe is a reworked LG woled panel that supports 4k 138hz. The part I find interesting is that it's very thick in the back with large vents, Asus says they added the large heat sinks in to prevent burn in, it's also heavy weighing 50% heavier than a 42 inch LG C2

So if Asus believes heat sinks prevents/mitigates burn in, why doesn't the aw34 have a heatsink - early review by hdtvtest already showed that a hdr 10% white window causing temp image retention shadowing on QD-OLED

I never would have guessed that the only way to get flat panel monitors on par with CRT quality would be to make them bigger than CRTs :p

Associate
Having it so big just seems kind of awkward. If you're going to use a 42-48" monitor you'd probably want to put it reasonably far back on your desk, but with how big that is I feel like it'd get in the way of that, lol.

Edit: Okay looking at the video from TFTCentral it looks a lot less thick. So might not be quite as much of an issue.

Last edited:
Associate
I received the monitor today, I ordered it in May and the initial delivery date was in Oct. but I received an email from Dell order was ready sooner and ready to be delivered. This was at the beginning of August and because I was on holiday I had to ask UPS to delay the delivery by 2 weeks

The first impression – the box was a bit tattered and damaged but I suspect because it stayed 2 weeks in the UPS Wearhouse. Anyway, the packaging is strong enough and no apparent damage translated to the components.

Secondly, here is where I am not sure, the monitor may have been used and not brand new. The wrapping around the power cable and some of the support seemed as if someone had opened it previously, but it does not bother me too much as long as the screen is perfect this is what is important

On my old LG34GK950F, there is a way to see how many hours the screen had been used in the menu, Dell does not seem to have this option, checked the firmware and indeed the latest one M0B102 is installed so .. not sure

The screen itself seems to be perfect – no scratches, no marks of use etc- no dead pixels and I was not able to see any problems with it during Eizo monitor tests

Thirdly – my biggest issue – is looking side by side with this monitor and my old LG34GK905F I do not think the improvement in image quality is worth the 1.2 k price.

Yes Oled blacks and contrast and HDR are nice but the brightness is lower on Alienware and the colours seem not to pop up as much as on IPS. I did try the standard profile and also the TFT central recommended settings and to be honest, I am underwhelmed, I expected better

Is it me or is there a problem with this particular panel? I would put a picture but am not sure how to attach it, do we still have to faff around Imgur or did the new forum make this easier?

Soldato
OP
I received the monitor today, I ordered it in May and the initial delivery date was in Oct. but I received an email from Dell order was ready sooner and ready to be delivered. This was at the beginning of August and because I was on holiday I had to ask UPS to delay the delivery by 2 weeks

The first impression – the box was a bit tattered and damaged but I suspect because it stayed 2 weeks in the UPS Wearhouse. Anyway, the packaging is strong enough and no apparent damage translated to the components.

Secondly, here is where I am not sure, the monitor may have been used and not brand new. The wrapping around the power cable and some of the support seemed as if someone had opened it previously, but it does not bother me too much as long as the screen is perfect this is what is important

On my old LG34GK950F, there is a way to see how many hours the screen had been used in the menu, Dell does not seem to have this option, checked the firmware and indeed the latest one M0B102 is installed so .. not sure

The screen itself seems to be perfect – no scratches, no marks of use etc- no dead pixels and I was not able to see any problems with it during Eizo monitor tests

Thirdly – my biggest issue – is looking side by side with this monitor and my old LG34GK905F I do not think the improvement in image quality is worth the 1.2 k price.

Yes Oled blacks and contrast and HDR are nice but the brightness is lower on Alienware and the colours seem not to pop up as much as on IPS. I did try the standard profile and also the TFT central recommended settings and to be honest, I am underwhelmed, I expected better

Is it me or is there a problem with this particular panel? I would put a picture but am not sure how to attach it, do we still have to faff around Imgur or did the new forum make this easier?

Post a picture side by side so we can see what you mean by colors not popping. Mine pops way more than other OLEDs I have and all my OLEDs pop way more than VA and IPS I have

Associate
So if Asus believes heat sinks prevents/mitigates burn in, why doesn't the aw34 have a heatsink - early review by hdtvtest already showed that a hdr 10% white window causing temp image retention shadowing on QD-OLED
Well, in the case of the AW3423DW, there's a small fan that's sandwiched between the OLED panel and the monitor shielding as seen on this chinese review / teardown (the fan in question is independent from the other fan used by the G-SYNC Ultimate Heatsink):

I'm not really sure if this extra fan is used to cool down the QD-OLED panel or for something else (like for the power supply).

Talking about image retention in the AW3423DW, the monitor displays virtually no image retention as seen on this Vincent video

The WRGB vs QD-OLED example that Vincent showed in his 240hz OLED video is actually from a video that compares the Samsung S95B against the LG G2 (which just happens to feature a heatsink like the PG42UQ):

Man of Honour
VERY interesting, the new ASUS has a large heatsink to prevent burn in, could this also be why Dell are planning a flat QD-OLED too because the heatsink can go directly onto the back of a flat better than on a curved?

If this is true, then I can see many of us warranty RMAing the curved to get a flat at some point.

Reactions: R3X
Back
Top Bottom