World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
More costly. When was the last time you ever saw a curved heatsink application?!

It's probably more efficient being flat for thermals too lol.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Quick update, it is worth noting that since doing a 3rd panel refresh, the burn-in has become less noticeable on the same grey, but is still there of course.

Associate
Thirdly – my biggest issue – is looking side by side with this monitor and my old LG34GK905F I do not think the improvement in image quality is worth the 1.2 k price.

Yes Oled blacks and contrast and HDR are nice but the brightness is lower on Alienware and the colours seem not to pop up as much as on IPS. I did try the standard profile and also the TFT central recommended settings and to be honest, I am underwhelmed, I expected better
I mean IPS colors, particularly the nano ips LG panels, have great colors... the OLEDs were never going to dust them in that metric. Its easy to get caught up in the OLED hype but you have to realize that hype is all around contrast and black levels, and (to a somewhat lesser extent) pixel/display response.

I couldn't really bring myself to 'just' upgrade from my 34" LG to the alienware, theres not enough of an improvement there, given the cost. I would certainly buy the alienware outright if I didnt have the LG already. But in terms of upgrading I find myself looking at the 42" TV's in order to feel like a REAL upgrade....

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
HDR1000 is definitely the way to experience HDR in games and media on this screen. God Of War looks much better at 1000 than 400. I initially didn't like the game with HDR on as didn't feel it was nice looking vs SDR, but 1000 changes that.

Associate
HDR1000 is definitely the way to experience HDR in games and media on this screen. God Of War looks much better at 1000 than 400. I initially didn't like the game with HDR on as didn't feel it was nice looking vs SDR, but 1000 changes that.
I agree, HDR1000 for gaming/media and Creator mode for general desktop use

Reactions: mrk
Associate
Yes Oled blacks and contrast and HDR are nice but the brightness is lower on Alienware and the colours seem not to pop up as much as on IPS. I did try the standard profile and also the TFT central recommended settings and to be honest, I am underwhelmed, I expected better

What settings did you have your current monitor set to?

Something that the Dell monitor does which most don't is it automatically installs an ICC profile onto windows which will clamp the colour space for accuracy in places which support it.

If you didn't have your current monitor clamped to sRGB it could explain why the Alienware doesn't 'pop' as much for you, though it's technically more accurate.

If you wanted to check for the icc profile that it might have installed search for "Colour Management" in the windows search and you should see any ICC profiles listed in the application window it opens. If you remove it from there then it won't use it any more.

If you did want the Alienware monitor to be accurate it's recommended to remove that ICC profile anyway and use the Creator > sRGB profile inside the monitor instead as the ICC clamp doesn't clamp everything unlike the one on the monitor.

Soldato
I was trying to hold off on HDR1000 mode for when the HDR400 starts to get a bit normal.

I was disappointed by Cyberpunk 2077 as the raised blacks were too annoying. Pity as I waited to play it in HDR.

Both Shadow of the TR & Zero Dawn are as good as I hoped though. Need to try Red Dead next as I held off that one too.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I still can't get into RDR2 simply because it's so vast and so boring to actually get going even after several hours lol.
Res Evil Village has been the best HDR experience so far though.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
You're in HDR mode, turn HDR mode off when not watching HDR stuff or playing a HDR game. HDR mode locks out the display mode as well as brightness adjustments as HDR is taking over all that as standard.

Associate
An update

Thank you all for the advice, indeed when playing games in the dark room with HDR on is when the OLED leaves IPS in the dark this is just as expected from the OLED technology. The issue I had was that the IPS colours in desktop SDR mod are excellent already so the OLED improvement was minimal in that scenario

The panel I got as far as I can see/test is perfect, and this is in stark contrast with the tattered case it came in, well no one looks at the case in the loft anyway.

I know there are fans in the back I can not hear them, I game with headphones all the time and in my day-to-day office work can’t hear them over the normal case fans

All in all, I think I will keep the monitor, I have 3 years advance warranty from Dell in case of any problems

Back
Top Bottom