***World of Warcraft - The Elysium Project***

Soldato
***Mods - if this thread is deemed unnecessary due to the other thread discussing Vanilla/Legacy WoW then please move or delete it. I just thought with the little gathering of interest in the other thread it might be suitable to have a proper thread regarding this project.***

The Elysium Project (formerly Valkyrie Project) has been alive for 7 years now. The team is comprised of dozens of individuals that span from all walks of life, from all over the globe. We all share a single bond that unites us; a love for vanilla World of Warcraft. Inspiration comes in many forms. Ours is what we feel to be the pinnacle of MMO gaming. Together we strive to bring the past to life, and to share it with the world. All while doing so for free, without payment, and for nothing in return other than seeing this game world reborn. We do not claim to own the rights to World of Warcraft in any capacity. We simply want to see it thrive once more.

OcUK has a great WoW following and the discussion in the other thread regarding this new project has rekindled some of our memories on Vanilla Warcraft and some of us are wanting to take part and try it all again.

From the very beginning, where it all began.

As we know, the Nostalrius PVP and PVE servers will be launched tomorrow followed by the Elysium PVP server coming in January. Some of you will be waiting for the fresh and brand new Elysium PVP server and some probably will roll over the weekend on the others.

Personally I will roll over the weekend to get to grips with Vanilla WoW again. It has been a very long time.:p

There was some talk about starting our own guild up. I am up for this but would prefer someone else to GM it. I am not against doing it myself, don't get me wrong but having a 2 year old I may not find time to organise things or run it efficiently. I will give it a go if needed and see how it all pans out but having someone with possibly a little more time might do a better job.

Right. Onto some details.

You can download the 1.12 client from most torrent sites or use the "official" torrent links on the elysium-project website.

Sign up via the link above. It will direct you to the signup page. Create your account and download the client. Use you newly created account to log into the game. Try not to use the Launcher to play but instead create a desktop shortcut of the WoW exe file and use that to start the game.

Choose you server, create you character and play.

OcUK Vanilla Guild:

If we can all decide to make a guild we will need a few things set up.

1) Faction (Horde or Alliance)
2) Server (Nost PvP, PvE or Elysium PvP when it's launched in Jan)
3) Guild name
4) Guild Tabard

As we will be all wanting to get to level 60 and do some raiding we will obviously not have 40 members unless we recruit, even then we could find it hard to get 40 or more to join us. However, I am sure we wont be short of smaller guilds wishing to raid with like minded guilds come end game time.

If you are wanting to take part in this project then have your say here. If you have suggestions or some input then great. I am so up for this and even though a great deal of older Vanilla players are saying its all rose tinted glasses or you wont find it as fun could I say this one thing - Yes it's ten years old and probably full of bugs etc but I am sure you still watch an old movie thats older that has crappy special effects but you still find it entertaining and wont hesitate to watch it again. This is how I feel about this project. I want to grind out levelling and have that feeling of accomplishment when I get my mount or that weapon I so desperately need. It will have more community that actually work together. Relentless ganking at the usual spots, long walks, having to cart yourself off to a completely different continent to do a quest only to go back to hand it in. etc etc.

It is going to be fun and with some people from this community, it will make it better.

So who's with me on this?:D

Associate
I'll be up for this but you need agreement on what faction/server to play on or everyone will be spread out everywhere.
I dont care what server or faction tbh!

Soldato
OP
Personally I am easy on faction. I don't mind one bit. As I have been Horde through my WoW life (the odd spell as Alliance during the original OcUK WoW guild) I would like to see some new scenery every now and again :)

As for the name? I think as we are on a PC tech forum we should keep inline with that somehow. I was thinking along the lines of the spec needed to play Vanilla WoW on launch and incorporate that in our name.

Soldato
OP
Original WoW (December 2004)

Operating System
Windows 98/ME/2000/XP

Processor
800 MHz or higher CPU

Video Card
32 MB 3D graphics card with hardware transform and lighting, such as GeForce 2 or better

Hard Drive Space
4 GB or more of available hard drive space

RAM
256 MB or more of RAM

Internet Connection
56k or higher modem with an Internet connection

Name suggestion. Geforce too

Nah I'll get me coat

Soldato
OP
Just been reading up on dungeons and raids. According to this, 5 man dungeons can allow upto 10 players. Is this right? Having started playing after TBC was released and not really doing any dungeons I would have never known about this. Would this till be true to this project?

Associate
Whilst I have no idea on specifics to the server as they could set any rules they wish - At release instances could be raided. Very early after release scholo in particular was exceptionally difficult (bearing in mind blues were harder to get than epics are now) and whilst gearing for initial raids it was simply easier to run it as ~10 people. Similarly when doing runs to get the key for Onyxia our guild at the time chain ran 15 man UBRS. Originally too you had to run through some 5 mans to get to actual raids before keys/attunement was a thing so this was even mandatory.

They did eventually cap them more in line with you see today but also nerfed the instances to be more sensible for 5 people.

Soldato
OP
Well according to the Project devs it's going to be as close t 100% blizzlike as possible, so I presume the ability to run Rage fire as a 10 man would still be there. Seriously, I never knew they used to be max 10 mans. Always thought 5 mans until the raids.

Soldato
I can remember Strath and Scholo being 10 man... Have memories of forming a Scholo group and being the only person who's been there before (once before) shop having to lead it, that was some slow group! :p

As far as faction and server, although the itch will be scratchable today guys it would make sense to wait for the fresh server to start on, I'm easy with faction, though always had a preference for Horde.

Soldato
OP
I have finally decided to roll a Troll Hunter BM style. I am waiting to roll it on the fresh server come January. In the mean time I will 'try' to log in later tonight and make a class I haven't played before and see how it goes.

Associate
I am also interested in this, having played wow since the Vanilla Beta it would be nice to go back through the old content as it was meant to be played.

i'm happy with any server/faction.

Ham

Ham

Associate
I'll be playing again on the PvE server. I have a warrior and hunter from Nostalrius both in the low 40s which I've transferred.

I also have a 60 druid on the PvP server though the population there felt too high when it was Nost; the PvE server felt more like a Blizz server in terms of population. You can still usually find some PvP if you fancy and there's no danger of a 60 rogue of the opposite faction camping Nesingwary's 24/7.

The two standard download links on the Elysium website are broken, so for anyone who doesn't want to torrent you can use this link here which is the same 1.12.1 version that Elysium will be using.

Soldato
How "vanilla" is it? Are we talking a direct exact clone of what WoW was like in 04/05 with 5 min Paladin buffs, green items with resists over your normal gear in raids, 8 debuff limit on bosses, losing 300 in weapon skill as a Shaman when you spec out of Enhancement, Shaman's self rez caused rez sickness, one skill bar, 82763596329562395 Rogues, had to be at BG entrances to join, no raid frames, etc.

Or have they made it a bit less inconvenient with some of the QoL improvements from later in the games life?

Soldato
I can remember Strath and Scholo being 10 man... .

Werent they 15 man at the start of was that just lbrs/ubers?

How "vanilla" is it? Are we talking a direct exact clone of what WoW was like in 04/05 with 5 min Paladin buffs, green items with resists over your normal gear in raids, 8 debuff limit on bosses, losing 300 in weapon skill as a Shaman when you spec out of Enhancement, Shaman's self rez caused rez sickness, one skill bar, 82763596329562395 Rogues, had to be at BG entrances to join, no raid frames, etc.

Or have they made it a bit less inconvenient with some of the QoL improvements from later in the games life?

Its the game as it was in patch 1.12 - none of the later QoL (there was always raid frames though ?)

I'm up for this aswell after cancelling the Legion sub this month, will probably refamiliarise myself with the game in the next week or so before they launch the new realms - I assume thats where people will roll when they open the new server in January?

Classwise, priest or warlock appeal. Although I also have fond memories of warrior and hunter in vanilla. a rogue will eventually have top be rolled as the 20-29 bracket is just too damn fun

Last edited:
Soldato
Its the game as it was in patch 1.12 - none of the later QoL (there was always raid frames though ?)

Quite possibly on the raid frames, I couldn't remember any back then. With Patch 1.12, is that what the new server will also start at or is that just what the old server is currently at?

Soldato
OP
I managed to log in this morning only to find hundreds of players in Valley of Trials all having a laugh in chat. No mobs to kill as I assume there is some bug due to the masses logged in. Tried a bit ago to see if anything has changed but getting 3k queues and or not even able to log in to the account. The website seems down to me too right now.

We all knew this sort of thing would happen anyway, all being well the devs can get something sorted and possibly cap the population on the servers. I wouldn't mind waiting for an hour to log in as long as there are mobs to kill and it runs without many hiccups.

Retail forums are or were full of posts about this launch and many members really ****ging off this project. Quite funny really.

Man of Honour
I managed to log in this morning only to find hundreds of players in Valley of Trials all having a laugh in chat. No mobs to kill as I assume there is some bug due to the masses logged in. Tried a bit ago to see if anything has changed but getting 3k queues and or not even able to log in to the account. The website seems down to me too right now.

We all knew this sort of thing would happen anyway, all being well the devs can get something sorted and possibly cap the population on the servers. I wouldn't mind waiting for an hour to log in as long as there are mobs to kill and it runs without many hiccups.

Retail forums are or were full of posts about this launch and many members really ****ging off this project. Quite funny really.

A 3k queue? Was that on the PvE server? I played right through the night on the PvP server , the population reached just under 11,000 and didnt have a queue.

Back
Top Bottom