‘World of Warcraft’ video game currency now worth more than Venezuelan money.

Associate
Knew things were really bad over there, but sheesh!

"Digital gold from Blizzard’s massive multiplayer online game “World of Warcraft” is worth more than actual Venezuelan currency, the bolivar, according to new data.
(added link, sure it was there before)

Venezuelan resident and Twitter user @KalebPrime first made the discovery July 14 and tweeted at the time that on the Venezuela’s black market — now the most-used method of currency exchange within Venezuela according to NPR — you can get $1 for 8493.97 bolivars. Meanwhile, a “WoW” token, which can be bought for $20 from the in-game auction house, is worth 8385 gold per dollar."

Not even the first time.

Last edited:
Soldato
Economy to be propped up by playing wow?

China and South Korea are big on gold farming. Making money via gold farming is both legal and taxable. I think China has something like 100,000 full time gold farmers. Obviously it is a drop in the ocean that is their economies but the number of people involved in these markets really amazes me.

Man of Honour
How much is my ISK worth then?

I've got about £410 worth at PLEX prices or about £270 going by "gold farmer" prices (think I did the maths right). Only about 6 years of my life spent on that game though still miss the idea of the game but the actual implementation is further and further from what I'm looking for from a game like that.

Soldato
Venezuela has another problem as well. Or perhaps better to describe it as a consequence of the former. It's seeing increasing emigration. Largely upper and middle class, Venezuela has had around 2million emigrate since Chavez was elected. May not seem that much given this was 1999. But it seems to be increasing and it's now starting to occur more in the poorer and working class demographics as well. Mainly heading toward USA, Span and Columbia (so Chris Wilson need not worry, yet).

IMF have now predicted inflation in Venezuela may reach 4,000% year-on-year by 2020.

Massive inflation, those able to leave (well-off and skilled) increasingly doing so and the USA has been adding further sanctions against them selling oil because there's nothing like kicking a country when it's down. Looks very worrying for Venezuelans.

Back
Top Bottom