World's oldest human being discovered in Indonesia at the age of 145

Soldato
How nice of you, but answer the question!

0b536a353875efca7ba04be6b6e6b130c4df1672.gif

Man of Honour
Actually it wasn't! It's a common misconception but people when not killed by others often lived to ripe old ages! Child mortality massively skews the figures.

Also modern medicine and diets are hugely better, allowing people to be in better health for longer. Had they had that centuries ago i'm sure they would be closer to us.

However, there is a very clear and notable increase in life expectancy over the centuries, so the comment of "we are living longer" is actually valid.

Soldato
Seems unlikely, but looking at current mortality trends the world's first 150 year old human has already been born. Scary stuff, in a world where many people still expect a great retirement by saving peanuts, working for 40 years and retiring at 65 years old.

Associate
Actually it wasn't! It's a common misconception but people when not killed by others often lived to ripe old ages! Child mortality massively skews the figures.

Well, this is my area of research and the average age in the 14th C (ignoring the Black Death) must have been 40-something. There are occasional peasants who might have been 50 or 60. A depressingly high number of people never saw their grandchildren in my records.

It was a hard life, one family with the usual virgate might be farming 25-50 acres by themselves (some in fallow of course) and many were malnourished, some may have only eaten meat once a year at the harvest boon.

Landed/titled people could live to 80+ if they didn't get ill.

Soldato
Soldato
Seems unlikely, but looking at current mortality trends the world's first 150 year old human has already been born. Scary stuff, in a world where many people still expect a great retirement by saving peanuts, working for 40 years and retiring at 65 years old.

I still do not see many active over 100 year old people.
There is a limit to how well a human can work, now if lifespan does hit a pitential 150, the last fifty years will be servo assisted, plugged in, monitored by medical apps, and being pumped full of whatever is required.

Still there is a limit to how much work one can do, unless pensions eventually become fifty percent products that turn into medical insurance trusts, I fail to see how anyone can be supported in a capitalist society without state or child funding.

There is a fair mess to be untangled and sorted over time.

Now to reiterate, this chap is a fraud, might be his grandparent, best of it is, he might not even realise if he has the same name and a bit of demetia.

Soldato
Do we really not have any proper tests that show how old someone is?

No.
We can do telomere testing. Testing to give an idea of how much is left within cells, but thats about the height of it, we all start with different telomeric lengths, probably related to how many cousins loved one another in our hx, but very hard to gauge.

Fake.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom