1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Worth changing from BT dsl to Telewest/NTL 10meg?

Discussion in 'Networks & Internet Connectivity' started by ElectroBlaster, 14 May 2006.

1. ElectroBlaster

Soldato

I was checking out telewest's deals and found I can save money if we changed over to their cable service. We are currently on Bt 2meg adsl and our bills always come out at around £50+

Im very tempted to get cable setup, but is it anygood? it will also mean my wireless router setup would become defunct aswell. What hardware do telewest use?

2. Phemo

Soldato

I'd do it. I have had both Telewest and NTL and I also have ADSL - cable, in my opinion, is far superior. My cable pings are awesome too - this is from pinging bbc.co.uk and I get similar results to other UK servers, like Jolt:

Reply from 212.58.224.131: bytes=32 time=10ms TTL=118
    Reply from 212.58.224.131: bytes=32 time=9ms TTL=118
    Reply from 212.58.224.131: bytes=32 time=10ms TTL=118
    Reply from 212.58.224.131: bytes=32 time=11ms TTL=118

However, cable varies. Some areas are great whereas people in other areas don't seem to get the speeds they should. Might be worth doing a little bit of investigation to find out what it's like in your area.

Telewest's cable modems have a USB and an Ethernet interface. Of course, you'll want to use the Ethernet so that means you'll need a new router which has an Ethernet WAN interface on it - there's plenty to choose from.

3. spirit

Wise Guy

where bouts do you live?

my by has gone crap after the 10meg upgrade.

4. ElectroBlaster

Soldato

I live in Exeter. We used to have Eurobell/Telewest but got fed up with waiting for broadband to become available so we jumped ship to bt, funny thing is a couple days after that happend broadband was announced to all eurobell/telewest customers lol