• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Worth changing thermal paste on 980 Ti

Soldato
Just wondering if its worth bothering changing thermal paste on a 980 Ti and how risky it is to do.

Its an MSI Gaming 6G model and i cant seem to find a video of it being done to that card but i can find videos of simular.

I have not tested temps and it runs perfect but i was thinking more because of its age.
I would have thought the original thermal paste is a dried up chalky mess by now

Soldato
Just wondering if its worth bothering changing thermal paste on a 980 Ti and how risky it is to do.

Its an MSI Gaming 6G model and i cant seem to find a video of it being done to that card but i can find videos of simular.

I have not tested temps and it runs perfect but i was thinking more because of its age.
I would have thought the original thermal paste is a dried up chalky mess by now

Before you do anything I would suggest you monitor the temps using MSI Afterburner and then decide if it's worth changing.

I would only consider changing the paste on my card if it was clearly overheating.

Soldato
OP
Before you do anything I would suggest you monitor the temps using MSI Afterburner and then decide if it's worth changing.

I would only consider changing the paste on my card if it was clearly overheating.

ok thanks, will try that in the next couple of days

Associate
Don't take apart a GPU if you don't have to. Thermal paste doesn't really stop working unless it's really showing signs. I've still got a 750Ti which has never had the paste changed after around 8 years. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Edit: if you do decide to change the paste, please look at many videos on how to do it and make sure you know how to put it back together. Don't brick your GPU by accident.

Associate
Don't take apart a GPU if you don't have to. Thermal paste doesn't really stop working unless it's really showing signs. I've still got a 750Ti which has never had the paste changed after around 8 years. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Edit: if you do decide to change the paste, please look at many videos on how to do it and make sure you know how to put it back together. Don't brick your GPU by accident.
This... I recently opened up a old GPU that has been sitting around for years. The thermal paste was still very fresh and not dry at all.

Soldato
OP
Yeah im not going to bother then unless an issue with temps crop up.
I just seen some people talking about changing paste on CPU`s and GPU`s quite afew times and started to wonder about my own gear type of thing

Associate
Test the card see if it is hot or loud when under load, also think about what situation you would be in if you break the card. i.e can you get a replacement

Associate
On my Asus strix 1080ti i did change paste but i had a good reason to do so. I had a custom watercool loop in pc but had not got around to getting a waterblock for gpu.
The cpu block sprung a leak months later i did not know till i decided to take a look in case as i was having crashing issues in games and card would not run 3dmark. What had happened was a small pool of water had collected on the backplate of the gpu and must have boiled the paste on the gpu chip. When i took it apart the paste was a chalk powder ! Once a replaced it all was good again and its ran perfect ever since..i ditched watercooling after that just to much hassle and worry. Do not change paste unless cards having issues i was lucky as i found a guide to do it and it was very easy to do on the strix i few screws and cooler lifted away no bother.

Associate
Advice everyone's giving is correct. If there isnt an issue then don't touch it.
That being said I had an MSI 970 and 1080, and my experience was that for higher power cards like those MSI thermal paste can go bad over time. To be clear I put a lot of temperature cycles through my cards, so I'm maybe an extreme case.

Caporegime
I recently applied fresh paste on mine and although it has lowered temps a bit, I don't think it's really all that worth it.

In my case - pun intended, I happened to be cleaning everything out and as I had some spare thermal grizzly, I thought I may as well give it a spring clean before I sell it.

Back
Top Bottom