• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Worth going from AMD Ryzen 3 1200 to Ryzen 5 2600?

Associate
Hi,
Is it worth me upgrading my Ryzen 3 1200 to a Ryzen 5 2600?
I game on a 1080 screen and use a 1050Ti GPU.
thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
It's an upgrade for sure, but you'll barely notice a difference for games. A Ryzen 1200 clocked at 3.8GHz is fine for a 1050ti.

Soldato
Yes wait for this next round of GPUs and upgrade. I've got a 2500K, which is ancient in tech terms and I get good results from a GTX 1070 at 1440p.

Soldato
Yes wait for this next round of GPUs and upgrade. I've got a 2500K, which is ancient in tech terms and I get good results from a GTX 1070 at 1440p.
Legendary chips, starting to struggle big time now with AAA games or multitasking but with DDR4 pricing being so insane it makes sense to try and hold on.

Soldato
Legendary chips, starting to struggle big time now with AAA games or multitasking but with DDR4 pricing being so insane it makes sense to try and hold on.

Agreed, I'm not doing a massive amount on my desktop at the moment, got far too much gardening and DIY to do! Holding out for Zen2 which should be a huge increase for me.

Associate
AMD's upcoming 7nm CPU's sure seems to be on a lot of Sandy/Ivy Bridge owners sights for a worthy upgrade.
I'm using a 1440p Gsync monitor on a GTX 1070 with an old 3570k CPU, and even games like AC Origins runs great, so I'm skipping the 14/12nm CPU generation.

I can see AMD having a possible gold mine ready in 2019 if they can live up to our expectations and deliver on time.

Permabanned
Hi,
Is it worth me upgrading my Ryzen 3 1200 to a Ryzen 5 2600?
I game on a 1080 screen and use a 1050Ti GPU.
thanks

Hi,

12 threads on the Ryzen 5 vs 4 threads on your Ryzen 3.
If you play games which utilise these 4 threads, yes, you will remove the bottleneck. In these days, 4 threads is the entry-level itself and unless you are on a severely contsrained budget, don't remain for long torturing yourself.

Soldato
AMD's upcoming 7nm CPU's sure seems to be on a lot of Sandy/Ivy Bridge owners sights for a worthy upgrade.
I'm using a 1440p Gsync monitor on a GTX 1070 with an old 3570k CPU, and even games like AC Origins runs great, so I'm skipping the 14/12nm CPU generation.

I can see AMD having a possible gold mine ready in 2019 if they can live up to our expectations and deliver on time.

Exactly my thinking. I have been tempted to buy an i7 and 2133MHz RAM for a boost in the short term but that would be daft at this point. Just saving the cash for a decent upgrade. At least an 8 core CPU, 16GB DDR4 3200-3600MHz, an NVME drive and a really good motherboard( I tend to upgrade infrequently). I think my AX750 should be good for a few more years is not had a particularly hard life.

Associate
Exactly my thinking. I have been tempted to buy an i7 and 2133MHz RAM for a boost in the short term but that would be daft at this point. Just saving the cash for a decent upgrade. At least an 8 core CPU, 16GB DDR4 3200-3600MHz, an NVME drive and a really good motherboard( I tend to upgrade infrequently). I think my AX750 should be good for a few more years is not had a particularly hard life.
My NorthQ 850W is from my previous PC, a Core i7 920 that I got in 2009, so it's been running for 9 years now! :eek:
I will probably replace it for my next build but I sure got my monies worth from it :D

Permabanned
The situation this year pretty much resembles to 2008-2009. In the summer of 2008, I was forced to buy a Core 2 Quad Q9450 and just a few months later, Intel released the superior Nehalem but which wasn't available for my motherboard.
The difference now is that when you buy a Ryzen 2 platform, you will be able to stick inside a future Ryzen 3, which by the looks of it, will be a noticeable improvement in multiple dimensions, as per AMD themselves ;)

Soldato

Interested in seeing what 8 core Intel bring to the table, I'd like to buy AMD to support competition and get that soldered IHS, AMD will release a 10 core for X470 chipset when Intel go mainstream with 8 cores, if we look at the VRM's on most board like the Crosshair you'll see they are massively overkill, which feeds my thoughts on this.

Associate
Interested in seeing what 8 core Intel bring to the table, I'd like to buy AMD to support competition and get that soldered IHS, AMD will release a 10 core for X470 chipset when Intel go mainstream with 8 cores, if we look at the VRM's on most board like the Crosshair you'll see they are massively overkill, which feeds my thoughts on this.
Months ago, I was thinking AMD and Intel would release their next gen CPU’s around the same time. I was hoping AMD might sneak theirs out a month or two earlier, since they needs all the help they can get battling a giant like Intel.

Since then Intel announced yet another delay stating that their 10nm volume production is moving from the second half of 2018 into 2019!
I am also excited about Intel’s 10nm Icelake but AMD is already in 7nm volume production. This will mean AMD takes the performance crown in 2019 for the first time in over a decade while Intel’s 10nm Icelake might be months away from even joining the party.

If AMD can deliver the goods, just imagine all those people that have been waiting to upgrade their old CPU’s. They will be reading and watching videos of excited reviewers talking about how AMD has taken back the Performance Crown, Best Gaming CPU, Best Productivity CPU, More Cores and so on.
AMD can have all this if they just give us a good CPU and do it on time. Early 2019 would be ideal and remember competition is key, so a stronger AMD means lower prices for all of us, including on Intel products :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom