• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Worth it to get a < £150 filler card?

Associate
My current setup of GTX660Ti SLI, has broken down with one card failling.
I will upgrade to RTX 2070 or Navi (when it is released) for around £450 limit.

Should I get a stop gap RX570 / GTX 1060 for less than £150, so I can get away with some resemblance of decent framerates in the recent games? Then upgrade to my main card. Waiting on NAVI news first.

Gaming resolution for 1444p 144Hz, whilst sticking to 1080p until later in the year when I get a new monitor.

Last edited:
Soldato
I would just buy the 2070 now. Why waste time and cash getting a stop gap card if one of the cards you want is out now.
Because it would be a rather boneheaded move when we're a week away from actual information about Navi, at which point he can make a far more informed purchasing decision?

I agree about not buying a stopgap card though. Surely you can survive a week on a 660 Ti? Or even a month if Navi does look really good and is arriving in early July as per the latest leaks. And if it doesn't, you'll have the 2070 way before that anyway.

Associate
OP
Yeah, I'm stumbling along on low setttings for which I don't like.
All of your thoughts here, are good ideas.

I will switch my attention and wait for the Ryzen/NAVI news.

Associate
OP
The release of Navi may cause Nvidia to lower prices so you have made a wise choice!

I hope this is the case. I'm ready for a full switch from the Blue and Green team, to the Red team.
Just waiting it out is the pain at the moment. Looking forward to a vast performance boost coming from sandybridge and gtx660ti

Associate
I hope this is the case. I'm ready for a full switch from the Blue and Green team, to the Red team.
Just waiting it out is the pain at the moment. Looking forward to a vast performance boost coming from sandybridge and gtx660ti

Yeah waiting is horrible when it comes to hardware.

Associate
OP
Yeah.
The less demanding games I'm playing is WoW.
Seems totally fine, but it's well adjusted for older graphics cards.
I'm looking to play AAA titles, so I need a better card, and to upgrade my computer.

Associate
Generally I would say wait, but if you can't then get a cheap £120 RX 570. Enjoy good 1080p gaming. And get your 2 free AMD games. When Navi does release, you may have inflated prices from both teams. You can watch from the sidelines and wait from prices to slowly come down.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom