Worth upgrading from a Corsair HX850i?

Associate
In my current rig I have a Corsair HX850i which I purchased to replace a much older Seasonic 520W Semi-Modular PSU.

Once of the perks was that when coupled to my CorsairH100i, I could use CorsairLink to see the power draw. With a 1070 and overclocked i5-4690K, I was struggling to pull much more than 300 when pushing it, so it was obviously overkill.

For my new build, I had considered moving the 850i, but I may well still need another psu for the old build, as the Seasonic 520W unit was randomly cuttiing out on occasion. Also if I move the 850i over it would also mean I would lose the ability to monitor by Corsair Link as the H100i is staying put.

To get better performance and the same power output I would need to stump up quite a bit, but I do not mind if its better quality / going to last longer. Alternatively, I could just get a basic psu for the old build instead...

Any thoughts would be highly appreciated.

Rich.

Soldato
My thinking on this, is that if you buy a decent PSU, it should last many years (quite easily 10+ unless unlucky). So I can't see the point in skimping. I suspect any of the decent gold rated PSU's would do. But I decided to go for a Seasonic Prime Ultra 850w Titanium. Possibly one of the best (if not the best) power supply out there at the moment. Overkill, probably "yes" if being truthful, but considering it should last 10 years+ (warranty 12 years) the cost per year is minimal over its lifetime (compare this to the money lost on CPU/GPU's).

jonnyguru.com is probably one of the better review sites for power supplies.

Associate
mikeo makes a good point. The money spent on a quality PSU like the Seasonic is peanuts compared to the money we spend on upgrading all the other components, especially when you consider how long a quality one will last.

Back
Top Bottom