• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

worth upgrading from the 1070 without spending silly money?

Associate
Hi all,

I brought my 1070 around five years ago, and to be honest it's served me really well, but do feel like splashing out on a new GPU now.

Though it looks like the market has changed considerably and from what I've read, a significant upgrade would cost between within the 800-1000 range at least....

I'm running on a Ryzen 3600, B450 Tomahawk and two 1080p monitors.

Any suggestions?

Associate
I would recommend signing up to the twitter alerts for the stock drops, then watch out for the Founders Edition drops.

That way you can get a nice upgrade without breaking the bank, you will probably cover a large portion of the cost re-selling your 1070.

Soldato
I went from a 1070 to a 3070 and it's a notable upgrade.

But £££££££££££ at the moment, I got lucky really and managed to catch mine for £600 on OCUK forum deal.

Associate
I've also been rocking a 1070 since launch. It has been a wonderful card for my gaming and work. Since not purchasing any gpu since I have saved quite a good pot of cash for my next gpu however with this gpu shortage I don't feel happy splurging on a very high overpriced card. If your looking for gaming a 3070 is quite good. My friend has one and loves it for its 1080p dual monitor set up

Caporegime
I would recommend signing up to the twitter alerts for the stock drops, then watch out for the Founders Edition drops.

That way you can get a nice upgrade without breaking the bank, you will probably cover a large portion of the cost re-selling your 1070.
This is the only reasonably cost efficient way to upgrade these days.

Permabanned
I take it you are a 1080p gamer, if using a GTX 1070.

I would say get a 3060Ti, 3070, 3070Ti or 6800.

Say you want a 4K rig then look at 6800XT, 6900XT, 3080,3080Ti, and 3090 GPUs.

Associate
Hi all,

I brought my 1070 around five years ago, and to be honest it's served me really well, but do feel like splashing out on a new GPU now.

Though it looks like the market has changed considerably and from what I've read, a significant upgrade would cost between within the 800-1000 range at least....

I'm running on a Ryzen 3600, B450 Tomahawk and two 1080p monitors.

Any suggestions?

If you do not need to upgrade stay with it the 1070 is still a descent card this is not the best time to be looking to upgrade a graphic card.

Associate

Sorry to sound like a total noob! Who do I follow on Twitter? I couldn't see any stock drops on the Overclockers account.

Associate
I was in the same boat, had a 1070, served me really well, but managed to snag a 3070FE back in March for £469. It's a pretty massive performance increase, and as the 1070 cost me £439 back in 2016 I was pretty chuffed with the upgrade.

So yeah, like everyone else says, if you can get a founders edition then go for it, if not I would hang on for a bit.....

Associate
Sorry to sound like a total noob! Who do I follow on Twitter? I couldn't see any stock drops on the Overclockers account.
Search for FE PartAlert on Telegram and sign up for notifications, I installed Telegram but had to search Google for the alert channel. The links that are posted take you straight to the Founders Edition seller, if you have an account stay logged in and have your details saved so you can get through the checkout quicker, these things fly out and you only have a few minutes on the popular cards. There should be another drop in a week or two.

Last edited:
Soldato
Either try and get an FE card or if you don't then hang on for another year for next gen as its not worth overpaying for a GPU especially a year into release when they should be regularly under the MSRP by now.

Soldato
GTX 1070 to RTX 3070 is about a 100% improvement in performance, so if you spent £250-£300 on the 1070, expect to pay about 100% more for the RTX 3070. This doesn't factor in inflation since you brought your last card though.

If you can get a RTX 3070 FE (£470), it should be a decent upgrade.

If you wanna pay less, consider a RTX 3060 TI FE, it's only about 15% slower than the RTX 3070 and is an excellent card at 1080p resolution.

Performance charts here:
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-rtx-3070.c3674

I 2nd the advice about using an alert service / mobile app to buy a Founders Edition card. Telegram seemed fast and worked for me.

If you'd ever like to play at 4K, might be worth waiting for a RTX 3070 reference model with more VRAM, but no one knows if this will happen, and it wouldn't be until 2022.

You can play at higher resolutions with a RTX 3070 in new games, if you use in game upscaling technologies like DLSS.

Last edited:
Associate
Yes telegram alerts is the way and be ready to act quickly. An FE drop in the uk is likely as some euro countries have had them this week

Last edited:
Associate
Search for FE PartAlert on Telegram and sign up for notifications, I installed Telegram but had to search Google for the alert channel. The links that are posted take you straight to the Founders Edition seller, if you have an account stay logged in and have your details saved so you can get through the checkout quicker, these things fly out and you only have a few minutes on the popular cards. There should be another drop in a week or two.
Thank you for your help

Back
Top Bottom