Worth upgrading monitor ?

Associate
I've just finished a full new build with a radeon 5850 being the graphics behind it.

What i didn't really think about when i was bulding this new comp was that the monitor i have atm is only a Samsung 940n 19" VGA.

What i'm wondering is whether upgrading to a newer DVI LCD monitor will make a massively noticeable difference ? (i'm expecting it would).

Problem is after just spending nearly £800 on a new build i'm not too sure just how far i can stretch my money if getting a new monitor would be that big of an upgrade.

Associate
Hi,

To really get the full benefit from the 5850 I would advise you to upgrade your monitor. A good monitor makes one of the biggest impacts to any gaming machine or PC in general. You won't be able to unleash the full potenital of your card running on a low res, i.e. 1280 x 1024.

There's some great monitors out at the moment for very low prices. The Samsung T220 22" get's good reviews and it's cheap.

I've always spent a lot of money on monitors in the past because that's what I look at when I use my system; so I want it to look good!:D

Hope you find the funds to upgrade your monitor. You won't regret it!

RoEy

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Ye i was looking at either that samsung or the Iiyama 22" as i have had iiyama and a few people i know have had them and no-one has ever said a bad thing about them.

The only difference i can see between the samsung and the iiyama is the contrast ratio is double on the samsung ?

Would it be worth just going for the samsung at a tenner dearer ?

Associate
Yes mate I'd go with the Sammy. Got very good reviews so I doubt you'll go wrong. Let us know how you get on with it and get some pics on!

Enjoy.

RoEy

Associate
As Roey has said, the power of your 5850 is wasted on your current monitor. Still, you'll be able to crank up anti-aliasing to the max without dropping a frame!

Iiyama monitors were awesome back in the day of CRT's. It seems to me that with TFT's they're focusing on general workplace monitors rather than home entertainment, which is why the contrast level is not so important to them. I'd go with the Samsung or a Dell.

Back
Top Bottom