Worth upgrading to 32gb, and if so, what to aim for?

Soldato
Was just wondering the above, and was questioning whether it's just an upgrade itch after seeing how the ram prices have been dropping. Now after reading a few posts, I'm thinking it might be a worthwhile upgrade. Just checking task manager, and although I'm only really web browsing, it's lower workload than if I was actually working too, I'm at 50% for my 16gb... I tend to game with everything still open in the background too.

So, buy two sticks of 8, to make 4 (and try and get low profile so my cpu cooler doesn't get in the way), or just upgrade to 2 sticks of 16gb?

Got a gigabyte x370 k7, with a 2700x.

My immediate preference is 2 sticks of 16gb, but does anyone know what sort of speed I could aim at, and also, how easy is it to sell 2nd hand ram?

C64

C64

Soldato
not worth it, by the time it's any good for gaming it will be ddr5 or ddr6 probably
new consoles are 16gb ram so a lot of developements going to be for 16gb ram in mind

Soldato
I went to 32GB about a year ago now simply because it wasn't expensive. Think it was £180. I went with 2x16GB 3200Mhz HyperX Predator memory. System just seems happier compared to 16GB. Personally if it's not expensive then I'd do it. (This is used with a 2600X on an X470 mobo)

Soldato
OP
How long until ddr5 is supposed to be along? Not really any major plans for big upgrades too soon (graphics card only), so if I can get by with 16gb, perhaps I will.

Associate
16Gb is fine, but I just upgraded to 32Gb. GF needed some ram, so I was on the lookout for something new. Found a 64gb set that my friend and I split between us. Worked out about £100 each.
I found that Star Citizen likes to use it. And i no longer need to keep closing background apps when gaming.

Sgarrista
Commissario
For the money its worth doing imho, chrome can easily munch through half a gb - 2gb per tab depending on what you have in it. Ive been running 32gb for a few years and wouldnt drop down below that ever again now.

Soldato
I started with two pair of 16gb kits (identical sku's) and found that my 3800X can run two sticks at faster speeds and lower latency than 4 sticks.

However, there is an interleaving performance bump that comes with 4 ranks of ram. Trying to get the most out of ram overclocking and using timespy as a benchmark, it was almost a wash between 4 sticks and 2 sticks. But I was eventually able to push two sticks fast and tight enough to overcome the 4 stick interleaving.

If you are not manually overclocking ram and your system will run 4 sticks at the same XMP speed you are already running two, 4-stick interleaving will give a small bump in the speed for some applications. (Timespy certainly likes it)

Then there is the obvious increase in capcity.

C64

C64

Soldato
Definitely worth doing it. Modern games are pushing the limits of 16GB and beyond now, especially with some stuff running in the background too.
where ? I get it though but only say if you can get 2x16gb at £100 and less been tempted myself but I know it's probably money not well spent but then I don't have anything else running whilst gaming

Soldato
where ? I get it though but only say if you can get 2x16gb at £100 and less been tempted myself but I know it's probably money not well spent but then I don't have anything else running whilst gaming

I've seen over 50% system usage while playing things like BFV.

The new flight sim I've seen system usage past 24GB.

Associate
Was just wondering the above, and was questioning whether it's just an upgrade itch after seeing how the ram prices have been dropping. Now after reading a few posts, I'm thinking it might be a worthwhile upgrade. Just checking task manager, and although I'm only really web browsing, it's lower workload than if I was actually working too, I'm at 50% for my 16gb... I tend to game with everything still open in the background too.

So, buy two sticks of 8, to make 4 (and try and get low profile so my cpu cooler doesn't get in the way), or just upgrade to 2 sticks of 16gb?

Got a gigabyte x370 k7, with a 2700x.

My immediate preference is 2 sticks of 16gb, but does anyone know what sort of speed I could aim at, and also, how easy is it to sell 2nd hand ram?

2x16gb is preferred.
Less issues normally than 4 sticks.
3600mhz 2x16 is the go to for ryzen.

Soldato
How long until ddr5 is supposed to be along?
1½-2 years when it starts appearing on consumer market.
And probably it will be expensive for another such period.
I don't have faith in DRAM cartel not using that change as excuse for another period of rape&robbery prices.

Soldato
OP
Guess I'll stick to 16 for now. If there's a game that really start butting up against the limit for me, maybe I'll look back into it then. If I can hold off until the next major upgrade, that'll be nice.

Soldato
When I upgrade my PC (when all the new CPUs and GPUs are out later this year), I was also going to upgrade the RAM to 32Gb but I was going to go for 4 sticks to fill all the slots, mainly for OCD reasons. Unfortunately I have heard it can cause problems to run 4 sticks but don't really know why. I assumed it was the capability/quality of the motherboard?

Associate
I've got 32gb and maybe 3 of my 10 or so games I play regularly just about go to 18 - 21gb but if you can either wait and make do then I wouldn't waste cash yet on it, its up to you obviously though.

When I upgrade my PC (when all the new CPUs and GPUs are out later this year), I was also going to upgrade the RAM to 32Gb but I was going to go for 4 sticks to fill all the slots, mainly for OCD reasons. Unfortunately I have heard it can cause problems to run 4 sticks but don't really know why. I assumed it was the capability/quality of the motherboard?

I've got 4 sticks of 8gb Samsung b die and it's fine for me now on my x570 and before I had an b450 :)

Soldato
I've got 32gb and maybe 3 of my 10 or so games I play regularly just about go to 18 - 21gb but if you can either wait and make do then I wouldn't waste cash yet on it, its up to you obviously though.

I've got 4 sticks of 8gb Samsung b die and it's fine for me now on my x570 and before I had an b450 :)
Which games are these as I've never seen one go above 9gb on my system?

Back
Top Bottom