would 22w extra make much of a difference?

Soldato
while there are silverstone & bequiet TFX style power supplies that be better and despite a spec sheet for my thinkcentre states 'universal' within the text for the standard power supply i dont want to take this as i can fit just any TFX unit..

so im looking at that older seasonic SS-300 80 plus bronze which on its single rail states 252w where as my states 230 on dual rail, im looking to get a 1050(maybe ti) instead of getting the 1030 soon and want to make sure ive got a little bit extra headroom and those seasonics can be had upto £20 making it a cheap trial of test fitting.. the silverstone i saw has around 275w on the 12v, but obviously cost a lot more.

Don
With regards to total power draw, a 1050 consumes no more than 75W, a 4150+board+ram isn't going to draw much more than 100w (e.g. 4130 with full size atx board etc draws 98w full load - https://www.bit-tech.net/reviews/tech/intel-core-i3-4130-haswell-review/6/)

Your existing PSU should be fine, and *generally* the PSUs used by HP/Dell/Lenovo are actually quite high quality designs built with longevity and low warranty claims in mind.

More of an issue is whether a 1050 will even work in your Thinkcentre though? What exact model is it?

Some of the e73 SFF models list either a 40Watt limitation (which means the 1050 likely wont work), or only run the PCI-E slot at 4x (meaning you may get reduced performance)
https://www3.lenovo.com/au/en/deskt...ies-sff/10AU/p/11TC1TEE73010AU#tab-tech_specs
https://www3.lenovo.com/sg/en/deskt...ies-sff/10AU/p/11TC1TEE73010AU#tab-tech_specs

Soldato
Your existing PSU should be fine, and *generally* the PSUs used by HP/Dell/Lenovo are actually quite high quality designs built with longevity and low warranty claims in mind.
Well, consumer PCs don't usually have that long warranty.
And if PC is basically intended for office work its PSU likely isn't designed for more continuous high loads.

Don
Well, consumer PCs don't usually have that long warranty.

Lenovo Thinkcentre are business pcs.

And if PC is basically intended for office work its PSU likely isn't designed for more continuous high loads.

I disagree - certainly all the hp and dell desktops we have had in the past, have been fully up to the job - even when subjected to poor conditions e.g. full of dust. The majority of oem units at least used to be made by Delta, FSP or Hipro which are all generally fairly good.

Soldato
OP
thanks for replies.

http://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys/PDF/ThinkCentre/ThinkCentre E73 SFF/E73 SFF.pdf

dont know if that link will work, but if it does then this seems more specific to my computer as this list actually shows the 4150 along with the pentium G where as those linked above and were what i first found made it look like mine had an upgrade cpu, but it turns out it doesnt, so indeed it does state 40w max for the graphics card slot which isnt surprising for the aim of the system so in away i didnt think about that when i mentioned the 1050, but i dont plan to have this computer for a long time nor do i plan on another tower, so in away the upgrades would be carried over to keep the lenovo original for resale, but i used the 1050 as an example, i was mainly after the answer for my main question as 22ws isnt a big amount, so was generally curious.

you can get hit & miss with oem power supplies used in branded computers, but like the SFX 300w liteon i have, this unit that comes with these thinkcentres have the 80 plus bronze rating so must be of good enough quality? i think the 180w versions are shipped in the computers with the i5 or i7 processors or least one owner i found on a random computer forum having the 4790, but only 180w.

Back
Top Bottom