• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Would a 4670k suffice for ultrawide 100hz gaming?

Soldato
Hey.

I have my old rig with me (a 4670k / GTX 670) build.

I'm contemplating getting a secondary PC for desktop use at ultrawide (say the alienware 34incher). I'm just wondering in your guys opinion, would a 4670k +8 GB RAM suffice for ultrawide or is it just too old/low?

I'm pretty sure the GTX 670 would fail really badly at ultrawide, so I am tempted to grab either a Gsync or AMD equivalent lower end card for now.

Or is a new build just going to be better?

Soldato
Give it an overclock and it will perform reasonably, at least based on my experience when using my 4690k @ 4.4 Ghz on occasions on a 3440 x 1440 panel @ 100hz. Some games which can be hard on quadcores may get slightly limited however. With that said, your GPU is very likely to be the constraining factor to performance before the CPU limits performance, more so if its a 3440 x 1440 UW rather then 2560 x 1080 your looking at.

If you can pony up for a new build, I would say that is the way to go, but for starters I would overclock the CPU and look at replacing the GPU which currently would limit things more really then the CPU.

Permabanned
what resolution?

i used a friends Dell 34" 1440 ultra wide for a week because i wanted to see if there was much difference (system requirement wise) from me standard 27" 1440 monitor.
with my system spec in sig. i had to drop the games i play from ultra to mid/high settings to hold 100FPS

i was turning over my girlfriends system at the same time so i gave it a go for the ***** and kicks, it was not a good experience. massive FPS drops, i was on mid setting and getting under 100 FPS

Games > Battelfield V > COD Black opps 4 > devision 2 beta.

system.
CPU i5 6600T @ 4.2Ghz
Ram 16gb ddr4 @ 3000Mhz(ish)
GPU RX 480 8gb @ 1400mhz

EDIT:
I'm contemplating getting a secondary PC for desktop use at ultrawide
if you dont want to game... YES your system will be fine for all over standard desktop uses, movies and so on, no problem

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom