Would a NUC be perfect for this? Clueless on them

Associate
i was planning on building a pc for my wife, but i've recently only heard of a NUC and it looks like it could be perfect for her needs.
Basically she just wants her own pc to browse the web, listen to music, organise and sort photos of kids and stuff she sells on fb and only game she plans on playing is sims 4.
Would a NUC be perfect for this? We are a little squashed for desk space so this is another reason one of them seems very appealing.
And can anyone recommend the cheapest one, that'll do it, including an m.2 and memory if that model doesnt come with it as standard.

Soldato
There's Intel NUC, Gigabyte Brix and Zotac Zbox. They're the main types. Yes the correctly specced NUC could handle it no issue. Bearing in mind most comes in barebone format, so you need to add SSD, RAM and OS. This typically means they start to get costly. I.e circa £500 for an i5 NUC with 4-8GB RAM and a 500GB SSD.

you get slimline ones that often just have either m.2 or msata - more m.2 these days and in addition you get thicker units which in addition to the m.2 can also host a standard 2.5" SSD/HDD.

Overclockers stock seem non existent for any of them but other places have them. Just have a look around as we can't link to competitors.

Associate
OP
Id say a 250gb hard drive storage total and 8gb of ram would be fine for her usage, whats the cheapest NUC i could get thatll do what i need? I noticed OC dont seem to have much in stock unfortunately :(
Can you still list model numbers etc?

Associate
maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Gigabyte has a new mini gaming tower that has a NUC footprint but is tall. Has serious gaming chops.

Associate
i was planning on building a pc for my wife, but i've recently only heard of a NUC and it looks like it could be perfect for her needs.
Basically she just wants her own pc to browse the web, listen to music, organise and sort photos of kids and stuff she sells on fb and only game she plans on playing is sims 4.
Would a NUC be perfect for this? We are a little squashed for desk space so this is another reason one of them seems very appealing.
And can anyone recommend the cheapest one, that'll do it, including an m.2 and memory if that model doesnt come with it as standard.

A NUC is great for every day use, its fast and quiet. Just for gaming it struggles as it has no dedicated GPU, but I guess Sims doesn't require much though in regards to GPU, so should be fine :)

Soldato
It might not be to your line of thinking (pre-built, possibly used) but take a look at Lenovo Tiny and Dell Optiplex Micro models. I was looking into a NUC build recently and ended up going this route as it seemed to be cheaper and gave much better bang for buck.

Back
Top Bottom