Would a watercooler be better and which would you recomend

Associate
The following build is something im putting together if something goes wrong with my overclock of an old system.

Ive not used a watercooler before, and to be honest the very idea of them worries me a bit - what happens if they leak?

But ive been told they offer a nice neat and often quiet solution to cooling a CPU.

I would appreciate if you could look at this below and let me know for around the £70 mark would an AIO Water cooler be better than an air cooler. What cooler you would recommend for stock speeds and maybe overclocking it bit ( im pretty sure that b360 allows it otherwise ill have to change it).

Ideally id like it to fit in with the whole red/black aesthetic going on inside.

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8600K 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: MSI - B360 GAMING PLUS ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LED 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Video Card: KFA2 - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB EX Video Card
Case: Phanteks - Enthoo Pro M ATX Mid Tower Case Power Supply: Corsair - TXM Gold 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

Thanks again for your help

Soldato
You can only overclock on Intel boards with a Z series.

I've never had much issue with Corsair AIO coolers, but there are many, many brands and models now. NZXT's Kraken series seem good. You're best off reading some reviews and comparisons since there are so many to choose from now. I would say go for at least a 240mm AIO though.

And no, they don't leak unless they're broken, and the fluid inside isn't water anyway so it's not conductive. there is always a risk of course, but the worst that could happen with an AIO is it leaks a bit, stops cooling and your CPU hits its emergency shutdown temperature.

Soldato
raijintek triton.

I blocked that disaster from my memory if I'm honest. But that was an unusual product in that you could fill it up yourself, so wasn't using the more "traditional" AIO coolants from a properly fully-sealed unit. Same goes for the kits like the EK Predator (another success :p )

The point I'm making though is nothing is infallible and, despite the Tritons and the Predators of the world, properly sealed AIO units are pretty robust and stress free. If you're going to panic over "what if" then you'll never buy anything.

@Count_Zero99uk : the upshot is as I said before: do some reading around for reviews and comparisons and see what you think best fits the bill.

Soldato
I blocked that disaster from my memory if I'm honest. But that was an unusual product in that you could fill it up yourself, so wasn't using the more "traditional" AIO coolants from a properly fully-sealed unit. Same goes for the kits like the EK Predator (another success :p )

The point I'm making though is nothing is infallible and, despite the Tritons and the Predators of the world, properly sealed AIO units are pretty robust and stress free. If you're going to panic over "what if" then you'll never buy anything.

@Count_Zero99uk : the upshot is as I said before: do some reading around for reviews and comparisons and see what you think best fits the bill.
soryy yea you're quite right, the likelihood is that all will be fine. just think it was worth poitning out to the op that there are serious considerations to be made when going watercooled. it's not just a case of 'well the worst that can happens is a little spill' the worst that can happen is that you can fry a pc.

Soldato
I think ill just get a book.
lol....don't be put off. go have a read up on reviews of whatever coolers tickle your fancy. yes watercooling can leak and fry stuff but if installed correctly and properly monitored the likelihood is very small. p.s. unless you have hands like feet an air cooler won't snap your motherboard. LePhuronn is just trying to make light of his previous post about the 'worst that could happen'

Soldato
you're being silly now. i was only replying to highlight that your post about the 'worst that could happen' wasn't as honest or clear as it could be.

Oh I know, I was merely bolstering your example and our consensus that everything has an element of risk, but in the real world it's a negligible risk. Unless somebody screws their product like Raijintek and EK.

But I will still clarify that the Triton is an exceptional circumstance in that they didn't go down the traditional AIO route, it's not representative of AIO coolers. I'm hardly "making light" of what could happen by not going into the deepest, darkest, scariest places.

OP: "I was thinking about getting an AIO. Do they leak? What happens when they do?"

Reply 1: "They're fine, I wouldn't worry. Chances are small it'll leak and if it does the liquid inside isn't electrically conductive. Go find one you like, you'll be fine".

or

Reply 2: "OMG THEY CAN FRY YOUR ENTIRE SYSTEM because 1 single company 1 time tried to break the mold with a product, got it a bit wrong and caused a fair bit of damage. But because this blip happened IT WILL HAPPEN TO YOU TOOOOO"

It's unnecessary scaremongering I think anybody would choose to avoid. Now if asked "I'm looking at a Raijintek Triton"...

Associate
OP
lol....don't be put off. go have a read up on reviews of whatever coolers tickle your fancy. yes watercooling can leak and fry stuff but if installed correctly and properly monitored the likelihood is very small. p.s. unless you have hands like feet an air cooler won't snap your motherboard. LePhuronn is just trying to make light of his previous post about the 'worst that could happen'

I think this time round ill get the be quiet. next time who knows.

Soldato
wow holy wall of text stuff batman!! :p

but the worst that could happen with an AIO is it leaks a bit, stops cooling and your CPU hits its emergency shutdown temperature.
i only replied becuase you did make very light of what can happen when watercooling....namely the above quote. i don't think it's very fair and hoesnt to say that is the worst that could happen.....nothing to do with scaremongering. i just wanted to temper that with the realities of watercooling. while your advise wasn't exactly 'bad' it couldn't have been a bit more 'open'

anyways the op is going with an aircooler by the sound of things.....so unless he manages to some how contrive to snap his motherboard i'm sure he'll be fine and happy.

Back
Top Bottom